Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you!
See more
See less

What was the last book you bought? (2015)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was the last book you bought? (2015)

Finally gave in to the temptation to visit the local second hand bookshop. Had hoped there might be a few of the the old Penguin Maigrets about. No such luck, although I did buy a copy of, Maigret en het Lijk aan de Kerkdeur (Le Pendu de Saint-Pholien). Haven't read a full novel in Nederlands, since I was given a copy of Edele Heren en Dames (Lords and Ladies), by Terry Pratchett.

Also picked up a copy of, The Comic Book Heroes: From the Silver Age to the Present, by Will Jacobs and Gerard Jones. That is in English.

Some nice vintage paperback finds today at the local used bookstore...

Thomas M. Disch The Genocides (1970 Panther edition)
    John Brunner The Productions Of Time (1967 Signet 1st edition)
    Andre Norton Plague Ship (1982 Ace edition)
    Roger Zelazny This Immortal (1966 Ace 1st edition)

"He found a coin in his pocket, flipped it. She called: 'Incubus!'
    'Succubus,' he said. 'Lucky old me.'" - Michael Moorcock The Final Programme

Comment

What was the last book you bought? (2015)

OGL's "The Whispering Swarm".
      Now to find time to read it...!

Comment

A new book by up and coming author M.Moorcock called Whispering Swarm.
        I reckon this new literary upstart has a bright future as long as he stays off the laudanum and the Tunnocks tea cakes!
        "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Soppy by Philippa Rice
          Papa was a Rolling Stone......

Comment

A trip to several thrift stores I had never been to before procured the following...

Piers Anthony Being A Green Mother (1987 DelRey 1st edition hardcover)
            L.E. Modesitt, Jr. Viewpoints Critical Selected Stories (2008 Tor 1st edition hardcover)
            Frank Herbert The Santaroga Barrier (1984 Berkley paperback)

Comment

I just ordered "Mother London". It should be here in a week or so

Comment

Something called The Whispering Swarm by a chappie called Moorcroft I think. I liked the cover art so I thought I'd give it a go.
                Let me tell you a story 'bout a poor boy....

Comment

the Collected Poems of Sylvia Plath should be on its way, along with Earl Aubec

Comment

England Swings SF: Stories Of Speculative Fiction by Judith Merril (Editor), contains a bunch of short stories by various authors which include J.G. Ballard, Tom Disch, Brian Aldiss and of course Michael Moorcock.

Steampunk II: Steampunk Reloaded by Ann & Jeff Vandermeer (Editors), a collection of short stories by various authors which include William Gibson and Tanith Lee

Oh and a new book which I'm eagerly waiting arrival of...

The Whispering Swarm by Michael Moorcock

Comment

Went into the new used book store near my place, failed to resist temptation, and came out with:
                      • Breakfast in the Ruins
                      • The Black Corridor
                      • The Sundered Worlds
                      • The Fireclown

Now to get to work on my recursive clock procedure to wring more than 24 hours out of each day. That just might mean I can find the time to read them all.

Comment

"Mother London" came in the mail today... I've had my hands full lately but with a little luck I'll get started on it tomorrow. I've been looking for a copy for quite some time and finally just ordered it off the 'net.

Comment

My copy of, The Metatemporal Detective, finally turned up. I am a happy camper!

It took so long, they've given me €2.50 off my next purchase.

Comment

RoboCop: The Human Element

A trade paperback of RoboCop 2014 one shots. Awesome!

Some of it is clearly written before the film came out. But it's very close to the film.
                            I hope they make more new robocop comics.
                            Going Linear Is The Only Game Garanteed To Drive You Mad

Comment

At the thrift store yesterday and picked up...

Moonraker, From Russia With Love, and Diamonds Are Forever by Ian Fleming (nice 1960's Signet paperbacks), and Ill Met In Lankhmar by Fritz Leiber (1995 White Wolf paperback). I just noticed today that Mike did the introduction for the Leiber book...bonus!

Comment

Working...
                              X