Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What book(s) are you reading in 2015?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What book(s) are you reading in 2015?

A new year and the reading doesn't stop. Must get some specs to help this year, though!

Finished the Continuum 2 collection and moved on to the the third in the series. Got a few books lined up for my lunchtime read, so decided not to leave it while I was off work.
    You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Hey cool, a fresh new thread I've been reading "Byzantium Endures".

Comment

A re-read of Mike's A Cure For Cancer now onto The English Assassin. The Jerry Cornelius stories are even better a second time around!
      "He found a coin in his pocket, flipped it. She called: 'Incubus!'
      'Succubus,' he said. 'Lucky old me.'" - Michael Moorcock The Final Programme

Comment

Getting into some more old school sci-fi just now and have just started EE Smiths Masters of Space.
        "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Warren Ellis "Gun Machine".

Ellis is perhaps the only comic author I discovered recently ( around 3 years ago ) which I put in the same level of other of my heroes like Moore, Gaiman, De Matteis and Eisner.

"Gun Machine" is one of his fiction books. It is a detective thriller, a genre I hardly read on books but love on films or shows. I am completely amazed by his style that is sometimes dry but never lacks some sense of poetry. In fact, if released 10 or 20 years ago It would easily pass as a cyberpunk work. Mostly because the technology the way we know and use is constantly present at this book nearly as a character. Ellis, an English man, looks at the present day New York as a field for dark storytelling.

If I were a detective I would definitely be like Tallow, book's main character.

Ellis is a bad ass genius!

( still on page 100 yet. Thank God this book was marvelously translated to my native tongue and edited here greatly )
          Last edited by zlogdan; 01-04-2015, 10:48 AM.
          "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
          "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

The Handmaiden's Tale by Margaret Attwood.
            Papa was a Rolling Stone......

Comment

Im in the same boat about the specs Gov,some of those older paperbacks in particular have tiny writing so its either specs or grow longer arms!

Speaking of which the EE smith was great(tiny writing!) and now im away to open his Spacehounds of IPC(yep,you guessed it,tiny writing)
              "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Just finished Gaiman's The Ocean at the End of The Lane. Great book. Gaiman never ceases to amaze me.

Currently catching up on some Terry Brooks (my guilty pleasure).

I Reluctantly read Betancourt's first Amber prequel. I have stayed away from his books for years. Amber is a sacred universe to me and I could not stand the thought of someone other than Zelazny writing in it. However, I must admit The Dawn of Amber was great and I truly believe Roger would approve of it.

I am also reading James Joyce- Ulysses. Joyce was such a great writer, but I am constantly getting lost. Is it just over my head or am I hurting myself by trying to wrap my head around it?

Just biding my time waiting for The Whispering Swarm.
                I('d) tell you all, we are young at the end of this cycle, and there may be no rest even when we are done.- Devin Townsend

Comment

Over the Xmas/New Years break I read the two Stendhal novels, The Red and the Black and The Charterhouse of Parma. He really knows how to keep you reading way past your bed-time... The second halves of his novels are quite gripping, and there's all sorts of subterranean psychological and social material to keep you thinking afterwards. I recommend them if you haven't tried them before.

I m now re-reading the Leigh Brackett Sea Kings of Mars fantasy masterworks omnibus. The stories are even better the second time around.

Comment

Reading Elric

I'm re-reading Elric, this time the Del Rey edition. That's why I finally signed up here after years of lurking. I'm already through the first volume and loving it, especially the extra material.

On the side, I read some Friedrich Schiller and he is way better than my teachers made him look 25 years ago (but probably still not a recommendation, except for literary fiction nerds).

James Joyce and Stendhal have been on my "must read one fine day" list, but so many books, so little time.

Comment

A real hodgepodge - let's see, I've just finished The Hydrogen Sonata, absolutely brilliant writing! I'm working my way through Helliconia Winter, which isn't my favourite of the trilogy. I'm trapped in Chelsea Marina, reading Millenium People - yep, JG Ballard does not disappoint. And I'm looking through The Collected Stories of JG Ballard, intending to buy my own copy this year. I'm also flying between Hell and a faux Heaven in Impakto: Riviera's just killed his Diabolical Father and is now planning to likewise kill the faux God.
                      sigpic Myself as Mephistopheles (Karen Koed's painting of me, 9 Nov 2008, U of Canterbury, CHCH, NZ)

Gold is the power of a man with a man
                      And incense the power of man with God
                      But myrrh is the bitter taste of death
                      And the sour-sweet smell of the upturned sod,

Nativity,
                      by Peter Cape

Comment

Originally posted by thingfish View Post
                        Getting into some more old school sci-fi just now and have just started EE Smiths Masters of Space.
                        Nice one Thingfish

I recently bought a reissued version of Triplanetary for purely nostalgic reasons.
                        The guy in the shop nearly cried as we reminisced about the old (Panther?) Chris Foss cover. Indeed the cover art was the only reason I bought it - it was written in 1934 for goodness sake! To my shame it rather spoiled it for me when I found this out.

Anyhow - reading Austerlitz .WG Sebald again - I keep on lending it to people and never seeing it again, I must be on my 4th copy

Comment

Finished The Rival Monster by Compton Mackenzie and with it The Highland Omnibus. It wasn't about a flying saucer landing lochside at Loch Ness as stated in the blurb, but about a possible UFO striking Nessie and another monster appearing around the Toddays leading to speculation about whether Loch Ness had been deserted and the subsequent hunt to identify the new monster. Very enjoyable nonsense, bringing back characters from the other two stories.

Next is House of Suns by Alastair Reynolds. Been a while since I read one of his.
                          You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Dalgleish View Post
                            Originally posted by thingfish View Post
                            Nice one Thingfish

I recently bought a reissued version of Triplanetary for purely nostalgic reasons.
                            The guy in the shop nearly cried as we reminisced about the old (Panther?) Chris Foss cover.
                            Ah i love that cover Duncan.....must give the Lensman books a re-read soon.
                            Im just away to start Enchanted Pilgrimage by Clifford D Simak

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Finished the spectacular "Gun Machine" by Warren Ellis. Really no typical detective thriller: lack of mysterious sexy woman who seems to find interest in the main character, unusual ending, the only happy couple is a gay one, etc. Really really good prose. Like all Ellis I read, small elements always have something importance in the plot something Ellis alludes here his book as a main theme:Wampum.

Now I started "The City and City" ( well, "Perdido Street Station" was a book I really loved despite all the headaches it gave me to go through that arcane prose ) by China Mieville, incredibly edited here in Brazil. I thought I'd read it and probably like it ok, but I am loving it. It looks pretty likely that I will read some Raymond Chandler one of these days...
                              Last edited by zlogdan; 01-11-2015, 04:49 PM.
                              "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
                              "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

Working...
                              X