Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

recommendations for books I may have missed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• recommendations for books I may have missed?

Hi everyone, I'd like some recommendations for new books based on what I like. Some of my favourites are -

CS Lewis - Out of the Silent Planet

David Lindsay - Voyage to Arcturus

U. LeGuin's Earthsea

AC Clarke's City and the Stars

Mike Moorcock

Peake's Gormenghast

thanks!

All Neil Gaiman's and P. K Dick books.
    Stephen King's The Dark Tower.
    "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
    "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

Ursula K. LeGuin - The Dispossessed - Brilliant and well worth a read.

Thomas Pynchon - V. - Just plain brilliant!

Terry Pratchett - Discworld novels - Great fun, all of them!

Comment

Well....

I have just forgot to recommend Jack Vance Dying Earth cycle, Planet Of Adventure and Lyonesse...
        "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
        "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

Dan Simmons' Hyperion Cantos
          Larry Niven's Ringworld series
          Joe Haldeman's Camouflage (but, really anything of his)
          Vernor Vinge's Fire Upon the Deep, Deepness in the Sky, and (though I haven't read it but have it sitting on my shelf [even though I preordered it /facesmack\) the Children of the Sky, sequel to Fire Upon the Deep
          Peter F. Hamilton's Commonwealth Saga, though I only read Pandora's Star so far
          sigpic

Comment

can anyone recommend any good books/articles/sites on psychogeography?
            Last edited by SeeDoubleYou; 10-23-2014, 10:35 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SeeDoubleYou View Post
              can anyone recommend any good books/articles/sites on psychogeography?
              Anything by Iain Sinclair should do for starters! Does a rather decent stand-in as "Taffy" in Mike's Metatemporal Detective too!

Comment

doesn't Alan Moore write about that as well?

Comment

Also, there's a lot of Mike's stuff I havent' read. Like Glorianna or Pyat.

Comment

Working...
                  X