Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What was the last book you bought? (2014)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack Of Shadows
    replied
    I was at one of my favorite local thrift stores today and I always make a bee line for the books to see what I can rescue and add to my ever growing collection. Today was a rare and very good day as it was the first time I have ever found any of Mike's books there and not just one but three!

The Elric Saga Part II - a very nice book club hardcover edition. I have the stories in this in earlier paperback copies but still couldn't resist buying it.

The Dragon In the Sword - 1st edition hardcover. Some wear and tear to the dustjacket but still nice.

The Fortress Of The Pearl - A very nice hardcover edition.

I must have went back over the bookshelves another 6 or 7 times to make sure I didn't miss any more being there as the store doesn't organize the books in any particular fashion, if there's a spot on the shelf they put the book there. I don't think I missed finding any more.

Leave a comment:

• thingfish
    replied
    Picked up a new copy of South by Ernest Shackleton at the local oxfam shop as well as a slightly more thumbed copy of Revenge of the Rose by Our Fearless Leader.

Leave a comment:

• Heresiologist
    replied
    While out of town I visited a small used bookstore and got a pair of cheap old Avram Davidson books (Peregrine: Primus and The Island Under the Earth -- cover by Leo and Diane Dillon).

Leave a comment:

• zlogdan
    replied
    "Flow My Tears said the policeman" by Philip K Dick.

Leave a comment:

• Pebble
    replied
    Didn't expect to buy anything today as we (Pebble family picking up the gals from school) visited Nyman's Garden. National Trust has a second hand book shop and I came away with Herman Hesse's Pictor Metamorphoses - short stories, looks intriging and a book I have never heard of by John Brunner - The Squares of the City.

Leave a comment:

• Jack Of Shadows
    replied
    I had to control myself at the bookstore yesterday, they had quite a lot of nice vintage science fiction/fantasy paperbacks. I would have purchased more than the Peake novel, but I couldn't resist adding to my music collection as well. I found a nice 1st US vinyl pressing of Gentle Giant's Octopus and Yes - Beyond And Before The BBC Recordings 1969-1970 on CD. It was a good day at the bookstore!

Leave a comment:

• leaston
    replied
    It's nice that you managed to find something worth buying

I've been meaning to read the Gormenghast series for years and never gotten around to it. You've reminded me I have copies stashed in a box somewhere.

Leave a comment:

• Jack Of Shadows
    replied
    Purchased a really nice vintage paperback copy of Mervyn Peake's Titus Alone today.

Leave a comment:

• Jack Of Shadows
    replied
    I'm off to the other Half Price Books today in the hopes of better luck than yesterday. The shop you mentioned that closed in England sounds very similar to the Between Books that used to exist here in the states. His bookstore was the shop that got me interested in my lifelong passion for fantasy and science fiction books and my introduction to Michael Moorcock's works. The owner was always very friendly and helpful and if he didn't have a title I was looking for he would go out of his way to get it. His store, although not large in size was always filled with an amazing selection of new, used and hard to find titles. I was sad to see it go after 34 years in business.

Leave a comment:

• leaston
    replied
    Jack Of Shadows, it seems you're in a similar position in America with shops closing down

Back in the days before the Internet, I used to frequent a second hand bookshop whose owner made a point of sourcing as many Michael Moorcock books as he could because he knew I'd buy them, especially the older ones. At least half of his shop was devoted to older sci-fi and fantasy and I credit him with getting me into reading Michael's stories. His shop rent continued to increase to the point where he couldn't afford it any more and he closed down many years ago now.

Prog rock on vinyl! Now you're talking (showing my age) :)

Borders closed down all their shops relatively recently in the UK. I used to love wandering around the huge store just outside of Leeds and often spent a small fortune while I was there. My (ex)wife used to drag me out shopping over the weekend and she'd drop me off outside Borders while she'd go off and spend hours in dozens of clothes stores. Happy days.

Leave a comment:

• Jack Of Shadows
    replied
    I wasn't able to find anything worthwhile today at the bookstore which is unusual. The few Michael Moorcock paperback books that they had were in a condition less than suitable for my collection, and there were none of his hardcovers. They sell quite a lot of music there as well and I'm always on the lookout for some hard to find progressive rock titles on vinyl, but that was a disappointment also. The few items that I would have bought were also in a condition less than suitable. Oh well there's always the next time...I might check out the other Half Price Books shop we have in the area later this week.

I'm sorry to hear so many of the used bookstores have closed up in your area Leaston. I hate to see when any bookstore shuts it's doors for the last time. We lost all of the Borders bookstores in our area and most of the Barnes And Nobles have closed up as well. Fortunately, Half Price Books which sells a wide variety of used as well as new books and music is going strong. There was this great bookstore called Between Books in the state I used to live which specialized in fantasy and science fiction books, but sadly they closed shop after more than 30 years in business.

I love buying off of Ebay and have managed to acquire a number of great and hard to find titles, but there is nothing like browsing a bookstore and finding a book that you thought you would never find.

Leave a comment:

• leaston
    replied
    Originally posted by Jack Of Shadows View Post
    Heading to one of my favorite used book stores today. I hope to find some vintage Michael Moorcock as well as any other interesting fantasy/science fiction that might catch my eye.
    Good luck. Sadly many of the used bookshops appear to have disappeared in the UK in the last several years. We now seem to have to rely on the odd market stall or charity shops. Most of those are stocked with current and recent 'airport' reads than the older and vintage books. It's been a long time since I saw a Mayflower edition of anything in a physical shop. I miss browsing.

Leave a comment:

• Jack Of Shadows
    replied
    Heading to one of my favorite used book stores today. I hope to find some vintage Michael Moorcock as well as any other interesting fantasy/science fiction that might catch my eye.

Leave a comment:

• Jack Of Shadows
    replied
    Yes indeed there is nothing like the smell of a vintage book!

Leave a comment:

• leaston
    replied
    'Monsters and Magical Sticks: Or, There's No Such Thing as Hypnosis' by Steven Heller at the start of the year.

Last night I succumbed to my collecting addiction and ordered 'Legends from the End of Time (Tale of the Eternal Champion)' and 'Behold The Man (S.F. MASTERWORKS)'. For all the new copies I have, nothing is as nice as picking up one of the Mayflower series from my bookshelf. The cover art, the aged look and the smell can't be beaten

Leave a comment:

Working...
X