Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What was the last book you bought? (2014)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not even "Bonjour Monsieur Moorcock"?

Comment

The Dreamthief's Daughter. I was looking around a book store web's catalog and bought it. Well, bought it and will wait until it is actually imported and sent to me. Hope it was a good choice of course...
      "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
      "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

Well, I had to cancel the above mentioned order, the funds department at home are not quite well... Anyway, 2 months ago this was the copy of "The Prince With The Silver Hand" that I have acquired and was delivered by then.

"From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
        "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

Two great magazine finds at my favorite local bookstore, both featuring beautiful graphic novel adaptations of Mike's Elric...

"Heavy Metal" - September 1979
          "Epic" - Fall 1980

I'm posting images of the covers and "Elric" title pages in my album on my page, but figured I'd post the covers here as well.

Heavy Metal Magazine - Elric Graphic Novel Part 1 - September 1979.jpg

Epic Magazine - The Dreaming City Graphic Novel Part 1 - Fall 1980.jpg

Now I have to get a hold of the other Heavy Metal and Epic magazines that contain part 2 of each story!
          "He found a coin in his pocket, flipped it. She called: 'Incubus!'
          'Succubus,' he said. 'Lucky old me.'" - Michael Moorcock The Final Programme

Comment

Picked up a copy of Naked Lunch The Restored Text new in HMV for £1.99. Figured that was too much of a bargain to pass up.
            _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
            _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
            _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
            _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley View Post
              Picked up a copy of Naked Lunch The Restored Text new in HMV for £1.99. Figured that was too much of a bargain to pass up.
              One of my favourite novels. People often miss the humour in that one because the horror gets in their way.

I re-read that and Junkie this year and enjoyed the shit out of them both. Junkie was of particular interest to me having grown up around several people who ended up being heroin addicts.

Comment

My Planet Stories (2008) ed. of, Masters of the Pit, and Gollanz - Fantasy Masterworks (2003) ed. of, The History of the Runestaff, turned up yesterday from Bol.com.

So, plenty of reading matter for the forseeable.

Comment

Got seven books to add to the tbr pile today: Faith, Hope and Charity, the last Bernard Sampson trilogy, by Len Deighton, The Light of Other Days by Arthur C. Clarke and Stephen Baxter, House of Suns by Alastair Reynolds, The Penguin Book of Caribbean Short Stories ed. by E. A. Markham, and last, but not least, The Emperor: The Downfall Of an Autocrat by Ryszard Kapuscinski, about the last days at the court of Haile Selassie.
                  Last edited by Governor of Rowe Island; 10-01-2014, 03:26 PM.
                  You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Picked up a nice, crisp and clean first printing Dell paperback copy of Robert Shea's and Robert Anton Wilson's Illuminatus! Part III Leviathan from my favorite local bookstore today for only $2. I wish they had the other two books in the series, perhaps they will turn up on another visit.

Comment

• Ravi Shankar/Anoushka Shankar, by Anoushka Shankar.

Jersey 1204 by Everard and Holt
                      sigpic Myself as Mephistopheles (Karen Koed's painting of me, 9 Nov 2008, U of Canterbury, CHCH, NZ)

Gold is the power of a man with a man
                      And incense the power of man with God
                      But myrrh is the bitter taste of death
                      And the sour-sweet smell of the upturned sod,

Nativity,
                      by Peter Cape

Comment

• Originally posted by Jack Of Shadows View Post
                        Picked up a nice, crisp and clean first printing Dell paperback copy of Robert Shea's and Robert Anton Wilson's Illuminatus! Part III Leviathan from my favorite local bookstore today for only $2. I wish they had the other two books in the series, perhaps they will turn up on another visit.
                        Great trilogy. Very funny and imaginative.

Comment

• Three meetings earlier today left me with mush brain. So, despite the rain, I walked home, stopping on the way at a used bookstore where I picked up Avram Davidson's Or All The Seas With Oysters and R.A. Lafferty's Annals of Klepsis (largely due to the recent R.A. thread here).

Comment

• Originally posted by Heresiologist View Post
                            Three meetings earlier today left me with mush brain. So, despite the rain, I walked home, stopping on the way at a used bookstore where I picked up Avram Davidson's Or All The Seas With Oysters and R.A. Lafferty's Annals of Klepsis (largely due to the recent R.A. thread here).
                            Still struggling to find any RA Lafferty in my book shop wanderings. It helps when I look for the right author. Initially I was looking for JJ Rafferty which isn't very bright. Doh!

Comment

• Earlier today i picked up a copy of Kraken by China Mieville
                              "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Book hunting in a thrift store off the beaten path today, picked up a book club edition hardcover of SF Authors' Choice: 4 edited by Harry Harrison for a whopping 54 cents. Looks like an interesting and fun read with short stories by 15 authors that include Arthur C. Clarke, Jack Vance, Brian W. Aldiss Roger Zelazny, Thomas M. Disch, Gordon R. Dickson, Clifford D. Simak, Robert Sheckley.

Comment

Working...
                                X