Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What was the last book you bought? (2014)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Governor of Rowe Island
    replied
    I read a lot of Harrison when I was younger but this was one I never got around to reading (or Make Room! Make Room! strangely.) Looking forward to it.

Leave a comment:

• Pietro_Mercurios
    replied
    Good haul. I could be doing with another copy of A Transatlantic Tunnel, Hurrah! Well worth a read. Funny and sharp.

Leave a comment:

• thingfish
    replied
    Very tidy haul there Gov!

Leave a comment:

replied
    Went around the bookshops again today and came away with seven pbs. On the fiction front I picked up A Transatlantic Tunnel, Hurrah! by Harry Harrison, Roads Not Taken: Tales of Alternate History edited by Gardner Dozois and Stanley Schmidt (which will end up as my lunchtime read, sometime in the future), The Soul of the Robot by Barrington Bayley (for £3 brand new in Waterstones!), The Rum Diary by Hunter S. Thompson and The Casebook of Victor Frankenstein by Peter Ackroyd. One more Ackroyd and I'll have all his fiction. (Can't recommend them highly enough, if you're tempted.)

Non-fictionwise I got The Time Traveller's Guide to Medieval England by Ian Mortimer and The Travels of Ibn Battutah edited by Tim Mackintosh-Smith. Along with the others on my tbr pile, these should keep me going for a while.

Leave a comment:

• Jack Of Shadows
    replied
    Good luck Thingfish, I hope you find some! Now that the weather is getting nice here I'm looking forward to all of the yard sales and flea markets starting. Last year I was able to pick up a bunch of vintage Poul Anderson paperbacks.

Leave a comment:

• thingfish
    replied
    Same here Jack,although in the last week i have managed to pick up two,that one and Cocaine Nights.
    Who knows,next week i may even find some Jack Vance or Tom Disch although breath will remain unheld!

Leave a comment:

• Jack Of Shadows
    replied
    Very nice Thingfish! I haven't had much luck lately finding any of Ballard's works in any of the local bookstores or thrift stores here. I usually have to go on Ebay or Amazon to find anything.

Leave a comment:

• thingfish
    replied
    Nice!

Yesterday i picked up a copy of The Atrocity Exhibition by J.G Ballard

Leave a comment:

• Jack Of Shadows
    replied
    A beautiful mint condition 1st US edition of Mike's The Chinese Agent arrived in the post today from an Ebay purchase. A very nice addition to the collection that I can't wait to read!

Leave a comment:

• Jack Of Shadows
    replied
    A very nice find indeed Thingfish!

Leave a comment:

• thingfish
    replied
    Totally agree Jack,its great when you find those wee gems hiding on the shelves or sometimes in a box waiting to be put on the shelf.
    Today at a small second hand bookshop near me i picked up a decent quality copy of The Transformation of Miss Mavis Ming by Our Fearless Leader for a mere £1.50

Leave a comment:

• Jack Of Shadows
    replied
    It's always enjoyable searching through a used book store, you never know what you will find. Today I was at one that I had never been to, but although I spotted a vintage J.G. Ballard paperback that I would have loved to have in my collection the condition of it was less than desirable. Oh well perhaps on another trip something will turn up.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Breezed through the some of the purveyors of previously enjoyed books today and the only thing that caught my eye and propelled my hand toward my pocket was XPD by Len Deighton. I find it very hard to resist his work, especially when it only costs a pound (£1).

Leave a comment:

• Kruger
    replied
    I haven't purchased in a long time, I have started to read The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant again though. Been a long time since I pulled them off the shelf.

Leave a comment:

• In_Loos_Ptokai
    replied
    Grabbed myself a copy of In the Shadow of Man by Jane Van Lawick Goodall, about the chimpanzees of Gombe. I've love to get everything she's ever written on wildlife ...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X