Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What was the last book you bought? (2014)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great Michael Moorcock finds today at one of my favorite local bookshops...

Behold The Man (1969 Mayflower paperback)
    The Lives And Times Of Jerry Cornelius (2003 Running Press softcover)

and the best lucky find of all...

Firing The Cathedral (2002 PS Publishing signed limited edition softcover)

This bookshop always have a really nice selection of fantasy/science fiction books and I've purchased a number of Mike's works there, but this was the first time I've ever found a signed copy on their shelves!

I'm in the process of updating the album I have on my page and will be posting pictures of the covers there soon.
    "He found a coin in his pocket, flipped it. She called: 'Incubus!'
    'Succubus,' he said. 'Lucky old me.'" - Michael Moorcock The Final Programme

Comment

Back to the bookshop today and another great Michael Moorcock find to add to the collection..."The White Wolf's Son". If this keeps up I'm going to need to split the album I have on my profile into two and buy another bookcase...not that I'm complaining!

Comment

The Yiddish Policemen's Union, by Michael Chabon
        Paula by Isabel Allende
        An Introduction to Old Occitan, by William D. Paden.
        sigpic Myself as Mephistopheles (Karen Koed's painting of me, 9 Nov 2008, U of Canterbury, CHCH, NZ)

Gold is the power of a man with a man
        And incense the power of man with God
        But myrrh is the bitter taste of death
        And the sour-sweet smell of the upturned sod,

Nativity,
        by Peter Cape

Comment

My wife and I out at yard sales today, didn't find much but managed to pick up a nice hardback copy of Keith Laumer's "Retief To The Rescue"...science fiction adventure fun!

Comment

This:

This omnibus is something of a mixed bag; the text has some pretty appalling typos (not necessarily the fault of the compilers since the errors are present in the original paperbacks although it does suggest they did minimal copy-checking before going to press) but while The Chinese Agent is a masterpiece of comic writing, The Russian Intelligence is a big let down in comparison. Partly (imo) because it's pretty much a rehash of TCA so lacks the former's originality but mostly because it's not very funny. Originally published in 2005 as a POD book (I believe) it seems to be OOP now so I thought it was time to plug one gap in my MM library before it becomes impossible to find.
            _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
            _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
            _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
            _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

I never saw that book before, very nice find!

Comment

Norfolk Folk Tales, Sirius by Olaf Stapledon and another that I have forgot for the moment.

Ah, a book of short stories by Lisa Tuttle - A Spaceship Built of Stone and other stories. An author I have never heard of, but the internet tells me different now.
                Last edited by Pebble; 07-26-2014, 01:29 AM. Reason: Memory returned
                Papa was a Rolling Stone......

Comment

My wife and I stopped in one of our local thrift stores after work today and I'm sure glad we did. I picked up four very nice science fiction hardcovers:

Midworld by Alan Dean Foster
                  The Currents Of Space by Isaac Asimov
                  Robots And Empire by Isaac Asimov
                  I, Robot by Isaac Asimov

They were ex-library book club editions, but in fine condition with minimal wear and cool vintage cover art. I couldn't pass them up!

Comment

Oddly, I've read all four. Of those, "Currents of Space" is probably the best one, but the style is somewhat old-fashioned. [clickety] Well, it was written in 1952, I guess there's nothing wrong with that...

Comment

Thrift store finds of the day...

Second Foundation by Isaac Asimov (Del Rey paperback)
                      Foundation And Empire by Isaac Asimov (Del Rey paperback)
                      Foundation's Edge by Isaac Asimov (Del Rey paperback)
                      Isaac Asimov's Inferno by Roger MacBride Allen (Ace hardcover)
                      In The Courts Of The Crimson Kings by S.M. Stirling (Tor hardcover)

All were in fine/very fine condition and I couldn't pass them up for 25 cents each!

Comment

Went on a second-hand book buying spree today and came home with nine, eight of them fiction. In one shop I picked up Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell, Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco, Head to Toe by Joe Orton (which seems truly strange), and Further Cuttings from Cruiskeen Lawn by Flann O'Brien, all of which were £1.50 each! In another charity chop I found The Lambs of London by Peter Ackroyd, which becomes his fourteenth book in my collection.

In the local market, a stall there rendered up The Accidental Time Machine by Joe Haldeman (whose later books don't seem to have been published in the UK ), Guardians of Time by Poul Anderson (I'm sure I read this when I was a kid), and two collections by Arthur C. Clarke: Reach For Tomorrow and Of Time and Stars, which only have four stories the same between them.

Should return my TBR pile to tottering heights!
                        You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Today I bought a half-price copy of 1001 Comics You Must Read Before You Die (ed. Paul Gravett). Running from 1837 to 2011 and encompassing not just comic books (including single stories/issues as well as complete runs) and graphic novels but also newspaper comic strips like The Katzenjammer Kids, Alex Raymond's Flash Gordon and Rupert the Bear, I calculate I've properly read about 13-15% with maybe another 5% that I at least have a smattering of familiarity with. Mind you, it should really be called 999 Comics You Must Read Before You Die since no-one should *have* to read either the Spider-Man Clone Saga or The Dark Knight Strikes Back!
                          _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                          _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                          _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                          _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Among the more recent second-hand books i have acquired special note goes to :

1) The Book Of The New Sun - Volume 1 : Shadow and Claw

[This tome is an omnibus edition composed of 'The Shadow of The Torturer' and 'The Claw of The Conciliator' by Gene Wolfe.]

2) Ellison Wonderland by Harlan Ellison

3) Silverheart by Michael Moorcock & Storm Constantine
                            Mwana wa simba ni simba

The child of a lion is also a lion - Swahili Wisdom

Comment

Copies of Henry Treece's Dark Island and Red Queen, White Queen (both Savoy Books editions) just arrived in the mailbox.

Comment

Elric: Les buveurs d'âmes by Michael Moorcock & Fabrice Colin. Can't read a damn word of it though.

Comment

Working...
                                X