Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What was the last book you bought? (2014)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zlogdan View Post
    I am still a slave of the old fashion hard-copies but honestly I don't have a e-reader, besides my smartphone. This new one is better than my previous one and its screen is larger so I think I will read more. Not a big fan of DRM books.
    I've really warmed up to e-books, but the one DRM locked e-book that I have has been a real pain in the butt.

I have to download and install additional software, run it while logged in to the website that sold the e-book, have the e-reader connected, and then wriggle my toes while chanting "ia ia Cbooklu" --- and it still won't work if the stars aren't right.

I don't think I will ever get another DRMed e-book.

On the other hand, I see that PM press now offers an e-book with each dead-tree book purchase. I expect they might be getting some money from me before too long.

Originally posted by GuyLawley View Post
    Brother Death by John Lodwick (1948)
    (reissued by Valancourt)
    on Mike's recommendation.
    Loved it.
    Reviewed on Amazon UK.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brother-Deat...ywords=lodwick
    (E-book, read on Kindle)
    Great review! More please.

Comment

Jack Vance e-books are drm free, I have bought 4 books from them. My greatest problem with Kobo is that I cannot use my favorite epub reader for android to read their books and I have a Samsung smartphone. There is a bug in their Android reader which I have reported 1 year ago and was not solved. Otherwise I would have bought many of Mike's books.

Just a tip I have found: Lovecraft books are on public domain now and a lady has made a huge effort to gather all Lovecraft and put it at her site.

http://cthulhuchick.com/free-complet...k-nook-kindle/

Lovecraft is an author that deserves that we have a whole works on hardcopies, I will buy them eventually, but think I am going to read on epub before.
      "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
      "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

Jack Vance e-books are drm free, I have bought 4 books from them. My greatest problem with Kobo is that I cannot use my favorite epub reader for android to read their books and I have a Samsung smartphone. There is a bug in their Android reader which I have reported 1 year ago and was not solved. Otherwise I would have bought many of Mike's books.

Just a tip I have found: Lovecraft books are on public domain now and a lady has made a huge effort to gather all Lovecraft and put it at her site.

http://cthulhuchick.com/free-complet...k-nook-kindle/

Lovecraft is an author that deserves that we have a whole works on hardcopies, I will buy them eventually, but think I am going to read on epub before.
        The DRM free Vance e-books were a joy. Well, except for the the maps of Lyonesse. I had to consult the Internet to get a decent look at those.

As for Lovecraft, I've already slogged through most, maybe even all, of his fiction. For myself, a lot of it was a bit of chore to get through.

For that nice looking complete works e-book, I'd suggest you start with the stories in this collection: http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/sources/b.aspx

...or, if you're like me, you may need to change your handle to slogdan.

Comment

Originally posted by Heresiologist View Post

For that nice looking complete works e-book, I'd suggest you start with the stories in this collection: http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/sources/b.aspx

...or, if you're like me, you may need to change your handle to slogdan.
          I read

http://fichinhasdelivros.blogspot.co...as-trevas.html

this compilation back in 1992. I loved it. I however got into a serious depression after that. It was not caused by the book, however, my OCD fooled me into believe it so I had avoid Lovecraft until recently. As my treatment made me better, I finally can get back. But at this time ( see all those books above ) I will not buy books for years a few given the amount of books I got in my "to read" pile...

Thanks for the tip on this compilation. I liked the ebook made by Chutuluckick, she made a great work on gathering his complete works in a epub.
          "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
          "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

Isabel Allende's The House of the Spirits - well, I didn't exactly buy it as such, but the second-hand store I do voluntary work at was throwing it out, so I grabbed it, and they smiled and said, okay, fine with us.

I've found I increasingly enjoy Isabel Allende's novels. She's one of the best I've discovered over the last few years.
            sigpic Myself as Mephistopheles (Karen Koed's painting of me, 9 Nov 2008, U of Canterbury, CHCH, NZ)

Gold is the power of a man with a man
            And incense the power of man with God
            But myrrh is the bitter taste of death
            And the sour-sweet smell of the upturned sod,

Nativity,
            by Peter Cape

Comment

One of the bookstores I had previously bought from sent me a list of around gazillions sf books they were selling for 1.3 US Dollars each. First I had the list narrowed down to 40 titles, but I would not be able to afford everything, then I narrowed it down to 30 books, thinking that I would probably have to reduce it even more later, but the seller replied telling he only had:

Michael Moorcock Phoenix in Obsidian (1973)
              Michael Moorcock The Blood Red Game (1974)
              Michael Moorcock The Eternal Champion (1970)
              Michael Moorcock The Twilight Man (1970)
              Michael Moorcock The Black Corridor (1969)
              Roger Zelazny Isle of the Dead (1969)
              Roger Zelazny Jack of Shadows (1974)
              Roger Zelazny Creatures of Light and Darkness (1970)
              Roger Zelazny The Changing Land (1981)
              Fritz Leiber Swords in the Mist (1968)
              Fritz Leiber Gather, Darkness! (1950)
              Fritz Leiber Sworlds in the Mist (1979)
              Fritz Leiber Sworlds Against Wizardry (1979)
              Fritz Leiber Conjure Wife (1969)
              Fritz Leiber The Big Time (1969)

Bought everything, 1.3 US Dollar each.

Good deal huh! I had to tell my wife I made crazy thing, but you folks gotta admit it was worth :-)

After some weeks the books were delivered to my home. However, they are in real bad shape ( unlike the good shape described by the seller ). I am quite allergic to dust, mold and mites so I cannot even handle them. Although the literally quality is high, I cannot read these. All books are paperbacks.
              Will try to return the books, but from what I know of Brazilian book dealers they are not fond of refunding.

On the other hand, I had ordered the second Corum trilogy from an English store, used, but it came almost as new.

Comment

I had ordered the second Corum trilogy from an English store, used, but it came almost as new.
                Trying to replace my missing Corum novels myself, only have the first two from the first trilogy so far. Both series of these books were just a beautiful, almost hypnotic read, the first and only time that I did read them, many years ago as i recall.
                Mwana wa simba ni simba

The child of a lion is also a lion - Swahili Wisdom

Comment

Saw it today on a festival and bought it at once.

Comment

I love e-books. Over the last three years I've read them almost exclusively. I just wish I could d/l Mother London.

Comment

Originally posted by Kymba334 View Post
                      I had ordered the second Corum trilogy from an English store, used, but it came almost as new.
                      Trying to replace my missing Corum novels myself, only have the first two from the first trilogy so far. Both series of these books were just a beautiful, almost hypnotic read, the first and only time that I did read them, many years ago as i recall.
                      Hey Kymba, saw on ibiblio many MM books for less than 4 dolllars, some were sellers from Australia. Not sure if the shipping is worth. I actually paid 1,90 US dollars in my omnibus but other 10 for shipping. 11,90 for such a book is a good price compared to buying Brazilian books.

Comment

Got Fight?

Got Fight? by Forest Griffin, MMA fighter, light heavyweight champion. I'm in about 50 pages, it's a fast read that makes me laugh. I think he should have gone with the title "Fist Meets Face", as was suggested by the author. I picked it up for a buck at the used book store. I love being insulted by the author. He's an anti-hero fur shur....

Comment

first and last

Innocents aboard by Gene Wolfe, collection of stories.

Comment

What was the last book you bought? (2014)

Ordered Behold the Man from The Michael Moorcock Collection yesterday. I'm forced to say that even allowing that I didn't pay the full RRP for it, £8.99 for a 140 page book is daylight robbery, particularly when you take into consideration that for the same RRP you can buy Elric of Melniboné and Other Stories and get two-and-a-half times as much book (360 pages for those keeping count) for your money. £4.99 would be a much more reasonable price imo. Or packaged it with Breakfast in the Ruins to round out the page count more. I suppose it's karmic economics for getting Jerry Cornelius: His Lives and His Times at almost half-price on pre-order price guarantee though.
                            _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                            _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                            _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                            _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Just picked up a copy of Karl Edward Wagner's Gods in Darkness

Comment

On a visit to the local recycling shop, I picked up a copy of astronomer, fringe scientist and sf writer, Fred Hoyle's The Intelligent Universe. A richly illustrated, full colour, introduction to Hoyle's theory of life originating from outer space (Panspermia) and his belief that the Universe itself is a living evolving consciousness.

Great Fortean stuff, however flawed. How could I resist it?

Comment

Working...
                                X