Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What was the last book you bought? (2014)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TRX
    replied
    Oddly, I've read all four. Of those, "Currents of Space" is probably the best one, but the style is somewhat old-fashioned. [clickety] Well, it was written in 1952, I guess there's nothing wrong with that...

Leave a comment:

• Jack Of Shadows
    replied
    My wife and I stopped in one of our local thrift stores after work today and I'm sure glad we did. I picked up four very nice science fiction hardcovers:

Midworld by Alan Dean Foster
    The Currents Of Space by Isaac Asimov
    Robots And Empire by Isaac Asimov
    I, Robot by Isaac Asimov

They were ex-library book club editions, but in fine condition with minimal wear and cool vintage cover art. I couldn't pass them up!

Leave a comment:

• Pebble
    replied
    Norfolk Folk Tales, Sirius by Olaf Stapledon and another that I have forgot for the moment.

Ah, a book of short stories by Lisa Tuttle - A Spaceship Built of Stone and other stories. An author I have never heard of, but the internet tells me different now.
    Last edited by Pebble; 07-26-2014, 01:29 AM. Reason: Memory returned

Leave a comment:

• Jack Of Shadows
    replied
    I never saw that book before, very nice find!

Leave a comment:

• David Mosley
    replied
    This:

This omnibus is something of a mixed bag; the text has some pretty appalling typos (not necessarily the fault of the compilers since the errors are present in the original paperbacks although it does suggest they did minimal copy-checking before going to press) but while The Chinese Agent is a masterpiece of comic writing, The Russian Intelligence is a big let down in comparison. Partly (imo) because it's pretty much a rehash of TCA so lacks the former's originality but mostly because it's not very funny. Originally published in 2005 as a POD book (I believe) it seems to be OOP now so I thought it was time to plug one gap in my MM library before it becomes impossible to find.

Leave a comment:

• Jack Of Shadows
    replied
    My wife and I out at yard sales today, didn't find much but managed to pick up a nice hardback copy of Keith Laumer's "Retief To The Rescue"...science fiction adventure fun!

Leave a comment:

• In_Loos_Ptokai
    replied
    The Yiddish Policemen's Union, by Michael Chabon
    Paula by Isabel Allende
    An Introduction to Old Occitan, by William D. Paden.

Leave a comment:

• Jack Of Shadows
    replied
    Back to the bookshop today and another great Michael Moorcock find to add to the collection..."The White Wolf's Son". If this keeps up I'm going to need to split the album I have on my profile into two and buy another bookcase...not that I'm complaining!

Leave a comment:

• Jack Of Shadows
    replied
    Great Michael Moorcock finds today at one of my favorite local bookshops...

Behold The Man (1969 Mayflower paperback)
    The Lives And Times Of Jerry Cornelius (2003 Running Press softcover)

and the best lucky find of all...

Firing The Cathedral (2002 PS Publishing signed limited edition softcover)

This bookshop always have a really nice selection of fantasy/science fiction books and I've purchased a number of Mike's works there, but this was the first time I've ever found a signed copy on their shelves!

I'm in the process of updating the album I have on my page and will be posting pictures of the covers there soon.

Leave a comment:

• Pietro_Mercurios
    replied
    On a visit to the local recycling shop, I picked up a copy of astronomer, fringe scientist and sf writer, Fred Hoyle's The Intelligent Universe. A richly illustrated, full colour, introduction to Hoyle's theory of life originating from outer space (Panspermia) and his belief that the Universe itself is a living evolving consciousness.

Great Fortean stuff, however flawed. How could I resist it?

Leave a comment:

• speedracer9220
    replied
    Just picked up a copy of Karl Edward Wagner's Gods in Darkness

Leave a comment:

• David Mosley
    replied
    What was the last book you bought? (2014)

Ordered Behold the Man from The Michael Moorcock Collection yesterday. I'm forced to say that even allowing that I didn't pay the full RRP for it, £8.99 for a 140 page book is daylight robbery, particularly when you take into consideration that for the same RRP you can buy Elric of Melniboné and Other Stories and get two-and-a-half times as much book (360 pages for those keeping count) for your money. £4.99 would be a much more reasonable price imo. Or packaged it with Breakfast in the Ruins to round out the page count more. I suppose it's karmic economics for getting Jerry Cornelius: His Lives and His Times at almost half-price on pre-order price guarantee though.

Leave a comment:

• Soko
    replied
    first and last

Innocents aboard by Gene Wolfe, collection of stories.

Leave a comment:

• citius
    replied
    Got Fight?

Got Fight? by Forest Griffin, MMA fighter, light heavyweight champion. I'm in about 50 pages, it's a fast read that makes me laugh. I think he should have gone with the title "Fist Meets Face", as was suggested by the author. I picked it up for a buck at the used book store. I love being insulted by the author. He's an anti-hero fur shur....

Leave a comment:

• zlogdan
    replied
    Originally posted by Kymba334 View Post
    Originally posted by zlogdan View Post
    I had ordered the second Corum trilogy from an English store, used, but it came almost as new.
    Trying to replace my missing Corum novels myself, only have the first two from the first trilogy so far. Both series of these books were just a beautiful, almost hypnotic read, the first and only time that I did read them, many years ago as i recall.
    Hey Kymba, saw on ibiblio many MM books for less than 4 dolllars, some were sellers from Australia. Not sure if the shipping is worth. I actually paid 1,90 US dollars in my omnibus but other 10 for shipping. 11,90 for such a book is a good price compared to buying Brazilian books.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X