Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What was the last book you bought? (2014)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A beautiful mint condition 1st US edition of Mike's The Chinese Agent arrived in the post today from an Ebay purchase. A very nice addition to the collection that I can't wait to read!
    "He found a coin in his pocket, flipped it. She called: 'Incubus!'
    'Succubus,' he said. 'Lucky old me.'" - Michael Moorcock The Final Programme

Comment

Nice!

Yesterday i picked up a copy of The Atrocity Exhibition by J.G Ballard
      "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Very nice Thingfish! I haven't had much luck lately finding any of Ballard's works in any of the local bookstores or thrift stores here. I usually have to go on Ebay or Amazon to find anything.

Comment

Same here Jack,although in the last week i have managed to pick up two,that one and Cocaine Nights.
          Who knows,next week i may even find some Jack Vance or Tom Disch although breath will remain unheld!
          "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Good luck Thingfish, I hope you find some! Now that the weather is getting nice here I'm looking forward to all of the yard sales and flea markets starting. Last year I was able to pick up a bunch of vintage Poul Anderson paperbacks.

Comment

Went around the bookshops again today and came away with seven pbs. On the fiction front I picked up A Transatlantic Tunnel, Hurrah! by Harry Harrison, Roads Not Taken: Tales of Alternate History edited by Gardner Dozois and Stanley Schmidt (which will end up as my lunchtime read, sometime in the future), The Soul of the Robot by Barrington Bayley (for £3 brand new in Waterstones!), The Rum Diary by Hunter S. Thompson and The Casebook of Victor Frankenstein by Peter Ackroyd. One more Ackroyd and I'll have all his fiction. (Can't recommend them highly enough, if you're tempted.)

Non-fictionwise I got The Time Traveller's Guide to Medieval England by Ian Mortimer and The Travels of Ibn Battutah edited by Tim Mackintosh-Smith. Along with the others on my tbr pile, these should keep me going for a while.
              You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Very tidy haul there Gov!

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Good haul. I could be doing with another copy of A Transatlantic Tunnel, Hurrah! Well worth a read. Funny and sharp.

Comment

I read a lot of Harrison when I was younger but this was one I never got around to reading (or Make Room! Make Room! strangely.) Looking forward to it.
                    You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

A fantastic day at Half Price Books with lots of good science fiction/fantasy finds for the collection...

Trey Of Swords - Andre Norton (1978 1st Ace PB)
                      The Book Of Andre Norton - Andre Norton (1975 1st DAW PB)
                      The Jargoon Pard - Andre Norton (1974 Fawcett 7th printing PB)
                      The Wicked Cyborg - Ron Goulart (1978 1st DAW PB)

but the best find of the day was the graphic novel "Michael Moorcock's Elric: The Balance Lost Volume 1". This is the first graphic novel I've ever bought and I must say after seeing the impressive illustrations it won't be the last.

Comment

Cَmix!

Hmmm... I have bought some Before Watchmen comics. And a book of tractors, for a present (yes, tractors)

Comment

Picked up a copy of the Annonated Alice and The Helene Hanff Omnibus (Under Foot in Showbusiness, 84, Charing Cross Road, The Duchess of Bloomsbury Street, Apple of My Eye and Q's Legacy)
                          Papa was a Rolling Stone......

Comment

I did some book hunting today at various thrift stores and Half Price Books. I didn't manage to find anything at the thrift stores but at Half Price Books I picked up a nice vintage 1964 Ace paperback of Andre Norton's "Web Of The Witch World" for the couldn't resist price of $1.

Comment

I was at the local library when I noticed they were selling some books. I wandered over, had a look, and noticed Byzantium Endures - which didn't stay any longer on the table. I also picked up a copy of Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment ... I'm on top of the world ...
                              sigpic Myself as Mephistopheles (Karen Koed's painting of me, 9 Nov 2008, U of Canterbury, CHCH, NZ)

Gold is the power of a man with a man
                              And incense the power of man with God
                              But myrrh is the bitter taste of death
                              And the sour-sweet smell of the upturned sod,

Nativity,
                              by Peter Cape

Comment

I had bought an used, old rare copy of Masters of the Pit

Now I have just bought the other two, cannot wait until I have in hands:

City of the Beast
                                Lord of the Spiders

These are Portuguese ( From Portugal ) editions.

Here are they:

Last edited by zlogdan; 06-01-2014, 12:38 PM.
                                "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
                                "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

Working...
                                X