Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What was the last book you bought? (2014)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack Of Shadows
    replied
    Picked up a nice, crisp and clean first printing Dell paperback copy of Robert Shea's and Robert Anton Wilson's Illuminatus! Part III Leviathan from my favorite local bookstore today for only $2. I wish they had the other two books in the series, perhaps they will turn up on another visit.

Leave a comment:

• Governor of Rowe Island
    replied
    Got seven books to add to the tbr pile today: Faith, Hope and Charity, the last Bernard Sampson trilogy, by Len Deighton, The Light of Other Days by Arthur C. Clarke and Stephen Baxter, House of Suns by Alastair Reynolds, The Penguin Book of Caribbean Short Stories ed. by E. A. Markham, and last, but not least, The Emperor: The Downfall Of an Autocrat by Ryszard Kapuscinski, about the last days at the court of Haile Selassie.
    Last edited by Governor of Rowe Island; 10-01-2014, 03:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Pietro_Mercurios
    replied
    My Planet Stories (2008) ed. of, Masters of the Pit, and Gollanz - Fantasy Masterworks (2003) ed. of, The History of the Runestaff, turned up yesterday from Bol.com.

So, plenty of reading matter for the forseeable.

Leave a comment:

• Octo Seven
    replied
    Originally posted by David Mosley View Post
    Picked up a copy of Naked Lunch The Restored Text new in HMV for £1.99. Figured that was too much of a bargain to pass up.
    One of my favourite novels. People often miss the humour in that one because the horror gets in their way.

I re-read that and Junkie this year and enjoyed the shit out of them both. Junkie was of particular interest to me having grown up around several people who ended up being heroin addicts.

Leave a comment:

• David Mosley
    replied
    Picked up a copy of Naked Lunch The Restored Text new in HMV for £1.99. Figured that was too much of a bargain to pass up.

Leave a comment:

• Jack Of Shadows
    replied
    Two great magazine finds at my favorite local bookstore, both featuring beautiful graphic novel adaptations of Mike's Elric...

"Heavy Metal" - September 1979
    "Epic" - Fall 1980

I'm posting images of the covers and "Elric" title pages in my album on my page, but figured I'd post the covers here as well.

Heavy Metal Magazine - Elric Graphic Novel Part 1 - September 1979.jpg

Epic Magazine - The Dreaming City Graphic Novel Part 1 - Fall 1980.jpg

Now I have to get a hold of the other Heavy Metal and Epic magazines that contain part 2 of each story!

Leave a comment:

• zlogdan
    replied
    Well, I had to cancel the above mentioned order, the funds department at home are not quite well... Anyway, 2 months ago this was the copy of "The Prince With The Silver Hand" that I have acquired and was delivered by then.

Leave a comment:

• zlogdan
    replied
    The Dreamthief's Daughter. I was looking around a book store web's catalog and bought it. Well, bought it and will wait until it is actually imported and sent to me. Hope it was a good choice of course...

Leave a comment:

• Rothgo
    replied
    Not even "Bonjour Monsieur Moorcock"?

Leave a comment:

• David Mosley
    replied
    Elric: Les buveurs d'âmes by Michael Moorcock & Fabrice Colin. Can't read a damn word of it though.

Leave a comment:

• Heresiologist
    replied
    Copies of Henry Treece's Dark Island and Red Queen, White Queen (both Savoy Books editions) just arrived in the mailbox.

Leave a comment:

• Kymba334
    replied
    Among the more recent second-hand books i have acquired special note goes to :

1) The Book Of The New Sun - Volume 1 : Shadow and Claw

[This tome is an omnibus edition composed of 'The Shadow of The Torturer' and 'The Claw of The Conciliator' by Gene Wolfe.]

2) Ellison Wonderland by Harlan Ellison

3) Silverheart by Michael Moorcock & Storm Constantine

Leave a comment:

• David Mosley
    replied
    Today I bought a half-price copy of 1001 Comics You Must Read Before You Die (ed. Paul Gravett). Running from 1837 to 2011 and encompassing not just comic books (including single stories/issues as well as complete runs) and graphic novels but also newspaper comic strips like The Katzenjammer Kids, Alex Raymond's Flash Gordon and Rupert the Bear, I calculate I've properly read about 13-15% with maybe another 5% that I at least have a smattering of familiarity with. Mind you, it should really be called 999 Comics You Must Read Before You Die since no-one should *have* to read either the Spider-Man Clone Saga or The Dark Knight Strikes Back!

Leave a comment:

• Governor of Rowe Island
    replied
    Went on a second-hand book buying spree today and came home with nine, eight of them fiction. In one shop I picked up Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell, Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco, Head to Toe by Joe Orton (which seems truly strange), and Further Cuttings from Cruiskeen Lawn by Flann O'Brien, all of which were £1.50 each! In another charity chop I found The Lambs of London by Peter Ackroyd, which becomes his fourteenth book in my collection.

In the local market, a stall there rendered up The Accidental Time Machine by Joe Haldeman (whose later books don't seem to have been published in the UK ), Guardians of Time by Poul Anderson (I'm sure I read this when I was a kid), and two collections by Arthur C. Clarke: Reach For Tomorrow and Of Time and Stars, which only have four stories the same between them.

Should return my TBR pile to tottering heights!

Leave a comment:

• Jack Of Shadows
    replied
    Thrift store finds of the day...

Second Foundation by Isaac Asimov (Del Rey paperback)
    Foundation And Empire by Isaac Asimov (Del Rey paperback)
    Foundation's Edge by Isaac Asimov (Del Rey paperback)
    Isaac Asimov's Inferno by Roger MacBride Allen (Ace hardcover)
    In The Courts Of The Crimson Kings by S.M. Stirling (Tor hardcover)

All were in fine/very fine condition and I couldn't pass them up for 25 cents each!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X