Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What was the last book you bought? (2014)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm off to the other Half Price Books today in the hopes of better luck than yesterday. The shop you mentioned that closed in England sounds very similar to the Between Books that used to exist here in the states. His bookstore was the shop that got me interested in my lifelong passion for fantasy and science fiction books and my introduction to Michael Moorcock's works. The owner was always very friendly and helpful and if he didn't have a title I was looking for he would go out of his way to get it. His store, although not large in size was always filled with an amazing selection of new, used and hard to find titles. I was sad to see it go after 34 years in business.
    "He found a coin in his pocket, flipped it. She called: 'Incubus!'
    'Succubus,' he said. 'Lucky old me.'" - Michael Moorcock The Final Programme

Comment

Purchased a really nice vintage paperback copy of Mervyn Peake's Titus Alone today.

Comment

It's nice that you managed to find something worth buying

I've been meaning to read the Gormenghast series for years and never gotten around to it. You've reminded me I have copies stashed in a box somewhere.

Comment

I had to control myself at the bookstore yesterday, they had quite a lot of nice vintage science fiction/fantasy paperbacks. I would have purchased more than the Peake novel, but I couldn't resist adding to my music collection as well. I found a nice 1st US vinyl pressing of Gentle Giant's Octopus and Yes - Beyond And Before The BBC Recordings 1969-1970 on CD. It was a good day at the bookstore!

Comment

Didn't expect to buy anything today as we (Pebble family picking up the gals from school) visited Nyman's Garden. National Trust has a second hand book shop and I came away with Herman Hesse's Pictor Metamorphoses - short stories, looks intriging and a book I have never heard of by John Brunner - The Squares of the City.
            Papa was a Rolling Stone......

Comment

"Flow My Tears said the policeman" by Philip K Dick.
              "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
              "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

While out of town I visited a small used bookstore and got a pair of cheap old Avram Davidson books (Peregrine: Primus and The Island Under the Earth -- cover by Leo and Diane Dillon).

Comment

Picked up a new copy of South by Ernest Shackleton at the local oxfam shop as well as a slightly more thumbed copy of Revenge of the Rose by Our Fearless Leader.
                  "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

I was at one of my favorite local thrift stores today and I always make a bee line for the books to see what I can rescue and add to my ever growing collection. Today was a rare and very good day as it was the first time I have ever found any of Mike's books there and not just one but three!

The Elric Saga Part II - a very nice book club hardcover edition. I have the stories in this in earlier paperback copies but still couldn't resist buying it.

The Dragon In the Sword - 1st edition hardcover. Some wear and tear to the dustjacket but still nice.

The Fortress Of The Pearl - A very nice hardcover edition.

I must have went back over the bookshelves another 6 or 7 times to make sure I didn't miss any more being there as the store doesn't organize the books in any particular fashion, if there's a spot on the shelf they put the book there. I don't think I missed finding any more.

Comment

Grabbed myself a copy of In the Shadow of Man by Jane Van Lawick Goodall, about the chimpanzees of Gombe. I've love to get everything she's ever written on wildlife ...
                      sigpic Myself as Mephistopheles (Karen Koed's painting of me, 9 Nov 2008, U of Canterbury, CHCH, NZ)

Gold is the power of a man with a man
                      And incense the power of man with God
                      But myrrh is the bitter taste of death
                      And the sour-sweet smell of the upturned sod,

Nativity,
                      by Peter Cape

Comment

I haven't purchased in a long time, I have started to read The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant again though. Been a long time since I pulled them off the shelf.
                        The essence of light and dark rests on a fulcrum.
                        Your actions determine where lays the balance.
                        I am the fulcrum.

Comment

Breezed through the some of the purveyors of previously enjoyed books today and the only thing that caught my eye and propelled my hand toward my pocket was XPD by Len Deighton. I find it very hard to resist his work, especially when it only costs a pound (£1).
                          You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

It's always enjoyable searching through a used book store, you never know what you will find. Today I was at one that I had never been to, but although I spotted a vintage J.G. Ballard paperback that I would have loved to have in my collection the condition of it was less than desirable. Oh well perhaps on another trip something will turn up.

Comment

Totally agree Jack,its great when you find those wee gems hiding on the shelves or sometimes in a box waiting to be put on the shelf.
                              Today at a small second hand bookshop near me i picked up a decent quality copy of The Transformation of Miss Mavis Ming by Our Fearless Leader for a mere £1.50
                              "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

A very nice find indeed Thingfish!

Comment

Working...
                                X