Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What was the last book you bought? (2014)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was the last book you bought? (2014)

The last physical books I bought were The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and The Hound of the Baskervilles, both for my daughter (off the back of her love of the BBC Sherlock series).

I also bought myself digital copies of V For Vendetta and The Dark Knight Returns (from Comixology), Watchmen, The Complete DR & Quinch and The Complete Judge Dredd Case Files Vol 6 (from Amazon Kindle) and The Complete Halo Jones, The Complete Alan Moore Future Shocks and The Complete VCs Vol 1 (from 2000AD Online) in their respective festive period sales.
    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

OK, maybe you didn't buy them in 2014 David, but somebody has to get this year's thread going; it might as well be you!

Comment

I have been reading Mark Ursell's Book Illustration, which I got from Dorking library. It was a great read and some great ideas. So I have bought a copy and waiting for it to turn up next week.
      Papa was a Rolling Stone......

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley View Post
        The last physical books I bought were The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and The Hound of the Baskervilles, both for my daughter (off the back of her love of the BBC Sherlock series).
        I've ordered two more of the Sherlock BBC Books - The Sign of Four & The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes - this morning from the BBC Shop in their sales. It's only a 50p saving on the Shop's normal prices (£4.99) but that's actually cheaper than the behemoth Amazon's regular prices (£5.24);* I thought I was going to get stiffed on postage but the BBC Shop has free postage on all UK orders so although delivery takes a few days longer than Amazon Prime next day shipping as I'm in no rush to get them it's a good deal all round - particularly for my daughter.

*Assuming you don't do a Search and hit the copies being sold for £430!
        _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
        _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
        _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
        _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

As I mentioned elsewhere, just bought a copy of Eduardo Paolozzi at New Worlds. However, In the acknowledgements, author David Brittain, mentions Colin Greenland's, The Entropy Exhibition. I vaguely remember attending a couple of classes, or lectures, given by Greenland, back when I was at NELP, in the Eighties. The Entropy Exhibition was Greenland's Phd thesis, all about New Worlds under Mike's editorship. I'd forgotten all about it. I got a Sony e-Reader for my birthday, so I found a digital copy at eBooks.com.

Got plenty of good reading to do this year!

Comment

The Waiting by Joe Hart.

A nice story with interesting twists and turns and an ending that isn't formulaic for a mystery/horror story. Genuinely creepy in places (and that's from the point of view of a jaded reader).

Comment

Picked up three science fiction books that caught my eye at one of my favorite thrift stores today:

The Smoke Ring by Larry Niven
              Serpent's Reach by C.J. Cherryh
              Merchanter's Luck by C.J. Cherryh

1980's hardbacks that I'll be reading in the near future.
              "He found a coin in his pocket, flipped it. She called: 'Incubus!'
              'Succubus,' he said. 'Lucky old me.'" - Michael Moorcock The Final Programme

Comment

Ballard's Extreme Metaphores and Hello America.

Wanna get home and get stuck into them.....

Comment

Went to the recycling shop. Bought 2nd hand copies of: a Wordsworth ed. of Plato's Republic; Neal Stephenson's The Diamond Age; and a Dutch version of Haynes' Bike Book.

Comment

'Monsters and Magical Sticks: Or, There's No Such Thing as Hypnosis' by Steven Heller at the start of the year.

Last night I succumbed to my collecting addiction and ordered 'Legends from the End of Time (Tale of the Eternal Champion)' and 'Behold The Man (S.F. MASTERWORKS)'. For all the new copies I have, nothing is as nice as picking up one of the Mayflower series from my bookshelf. The cover art, the aged look and the smell can't be beaten

Comment

Yes indeed there is nothing like the smell of a vintage book!

Comment

Heading to one of my favorite used book stores today. I hope to find some vintage Michael Moorcock as well as any other interesting fantasy/science fiction that might catch my eye.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Of Shadows View Post
                          Heading to one of my favorite used book stores today. I hope to find some vintage Michael Moorcock as well as any other interesting fantasy/science fiction that might catch my eye.
                          Good luck. Sadly many of the used bookshops appear to have disappeared in the UK in the last several years. We now seem to have to rely on the odd market stall or charity shops. Most of those are stocked with current and recent 'airport' reads than the older and vintage books. It's been a long time since I saw a Mayflower edition of anything in a physical shop. I miss browsing.

Comment

I wasn't able to find anything worthwhile today at the bookstore which is unusual. The few Michael Moorcock paperback books that they had were in a condition less than suitable for my collection, and there were none of his hardcovers. They sell quite a lot of music there as well and I'm always on the lookout for some hard to find progressive rock titles on vinyl, but that was a disappointment also. The few items that I would have bought were also in a condition less than suitable. Oh well there's always the next time...I might check out the other Half Price Books shop we have in the area later this week.

I'm sorry to hear so many of the used bookstores have closed up in your area Leaston. I hate to see when any bookstore shuts it's doors for the last time. We lost all of the Borders bookstores in our area and most of the Barnes And Nobles have closed up as well. Fortunately, Half Price Books which sells a wide variety of used as well as new books and music is going strong. There was this great bookstore called Between Books in the state I used to live which specialized in fantasy and science fiction books, but sadly they closed shop after more than 30 years in business.

I love buying off of Ebay and have managed to acquire a number of great and hard to find titles, but there is nothing like browsing a bookstore and finding a book that you thought you would never find.

Comment

Jack Of Shadows, it seems you're in a similar position in America with shops closing down

Back in the days before the Internet, I used to frequent a second hand bookshop whose owner made a point of sourcing as many Michael Moorcock books as he could because he knew I'd buy them, especially the older ones. At least half of his shop was devoted to older sci-fi and fantasy and I credit him with getting me into reading Michael's stories. His shop rent continued to increase to the point where he couldn't afford it any more and he closed down many years ago now.

Prog rock on vinyl! Now you're talking (showing my age) :)

Borders closed down all their shops relatively recently in the UK. I used to love wandering around the huge store just outside of Leeds and often spent a small fortune while I was there. My (ex)wife used to drag me out shopping over the weekend and she'd drop me off outside Borders while she'd go off and spend hours in dozens of clothes stores. Happy days.

Comment

Working...
                              X