Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What book(s) are you reading in 2014?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What book(s) are you reading in 2014?

Greetings All:

I took yesterday and most of today off 7 decided to randomly pic something from the library, whatever caught my eye. What did was Deborah Harkness' A Discovery of Witches. (ISBN-10: 0670022411). The first book of what promises to be a trilogy (the second one is already out, too), I found her writing very interesting. She takes a lot of fantasy, witchcraft and vampire tropes and does something great with them, writing a book about books. The author is a professor of English and has spent a lot of time in the Bodleian, so the book is full of literary and historical references as well as historically inspired twists of the past. Also included is time travel, interesting science, and characters I found very likable.

I don't know what if anything others here think about Harkness' works, but they have intrigued me in a way I can't quite explain yet. Must read the second book I guess and find out!

--Lucius

"When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained."
    - Mark Twain, notebook entry, 1898.

I'm thoroughly enjoying Michael Moorcock's "Warlord Of The Air"
    "He found a coin in his pocket, flipped it. She called: 'Incubus!'
    'Succubus,' he said. 'Lucky old me.'" - Michael Moorcock The Final Programme

Comment

The Park - a graphic novel by the unbelievably unsung comics maestro Oscar Zarate, set around Hampstead Heath.

Two middle-aged blokes get in a fight after one is bitten by the other's dog, and the ripples spread out, affecting their relationships with their family etc. Beautiful artwork and an insightful look at different aspects of the male psyche in particular.

http://www.selfmadehero.com/title.ph...edition_id=224

Comment

Still struggling with China Mieville - The city and the city. Recently, read Will Eisner's the Heart of the Storm.
        Papa was a Rolling Stone......

Comment

Doorstop Season

Jan-Feb is doorstop season, the time of year when I confront a mutha 19th C. novel. This year it's The Idiot by Dostoevsky.

MW

Comment

I really need to finish Kavalier & Klay, this year. There's a Lovejoy (The Grail Tree), that I want to finish. Kathy Reich's Devil Bones and quite a lot of Pratchett, especially, Raising Steam.

Comment

Rereading "Don Quixote" at the moment. A bit more simple than I remembered it, but still a good rump. Especially when you keep in mind how unusual it was for its time.
              "If the environment were a bank, we would already have saved it." -Graffitti.

Comment

Originally posted by Jagged View Post
                Rereading "Don Quixote" at the moment. A bit more simple than I remembered it, but still a good rump. Especially when you keep in mind how unusual it was for its time.
                Rob Davis has done an inventive and entertaining comics adaptation of Don Quixote, now available in a handsome hardback: http://www.selfmadehero.com/title.ph...edition_id=226

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Murphy View Post
                  Rob Davis has done an inventive and entertaining comics adaptation of Don Quixote, now available in a handsome hardback: http://www.selfmadehero.com/title.ph...edition_id=226
                  Gosh! (Or Wow! in contemporary English.) That looks really good. Quixote looks very close to the way I imagine him.

Of course, I was always visually influenced by a Picasso print that was hanging in my childhood home, which looked something like

http://www.houzz.com/photos/5737751/...ts-and-posters-
                  Last edited by Jagged; 01-09-2014, 05:47 AM.
                  "If the environment were a bank, we would already have saved it." -Graffitti.

Comment

Kavalier & Klay is well worth the effort, Pietro. I must get some more Chabon - brilliant writer.

Finished Swords and Deviltry a little while back. Enjoyed the stories in there, but I'm enjoying the shorter, punchier stories in Swords Against Death more. The stories in the latter generally date from earlier in Leiber's career and I think it shows, in the same way you can tell the difference between Mike's earlier and later Elric stories.
                    You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Mother of Storms

John Barnes' Mother of Storms. It's rather topical, what with the slow bubbling away of the Arctic clathrate beds, Snowden's info on private and public surveillance, and the like.
                      sigpic Myself as Mephistopheles (Karen Koed's painting of me, 9 Nov 2008, U of Canterbury, CHCH, NZ)

Gold is the power of a man with a man
                      And incense the power of man with God
                      But myrrh is the bitter taste of death
                      And the sour-sweet smell of the upturned sod,

Nativity,
                      by Peter Cape

Comment

I am debating either to read Mediterranean Medley by Lionel Dawson or Lord of Light by Roger Zelany.

Mediterranean Medley is about a junior naval officer's experience in 1919 and early 20s.
                        Papa was a Rolling Stone......

Comment

Originally posted by Pebble View Post
                          I am debating either to read Mediterranean Medley by Lionel Dawson or Lord of Light by Roger Zelany...
                          I'd go for the former Pebble: if you're in a mood to read, why not try something leftfield? Lord of Light is so utterly splendid that you can read it any time - grumpy, bored, irritable or not!

Comment

Neil Gaiman's "The Anansi Sons"
                            "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
                            "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

Since the later half of last year I've been reacquainting myself with Mikes work (research for sculpting the Runestaff miniatures started this). I've re-read all of the Hawkmoon tales and both Corum trilogies (my favorites). Cleaning out some boxes of books in my garage I found several Elric tomes. So I plowed into The Dreamtheifs' Daughter and currently reading the Golalancz - Fantasy Masterworks - Elric.

Comment

Working...
                              X