Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Simon R Green - Deathstalker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simon R Green - Deathstalker

Has anybody read these?

Are they cack? and if so, is it good cack or bad cack.

opinions?

Hmm. Ok, I read 'Blue Moon Rising' by Simon R Green and i loved it. A really good book. Similarly 'Blood and Honour' is also excellent.
    'Down amongst the Deadmen' wasn't as good as the previous two books but was ok.
    'Shadows Fall' is one of my favourite books of all time.

Then came the 'Hawk & Fisher' books. Just the two of them and they were horrendous. As was 'Beyond the Bluemoon'.
    I read 'DeathWalker Preludes' and though the three stories were good they were also very similar and not up to S Greens earlier standard.

I haven't dared read the rest of the DeathWalker series for fear of losing complete faith in him!

I'm not sure if that was a help or not...
    Regret achieves nothing. Regret breeds weakness. Regret is a cancer which attacks the body's vital organs and eventually destroys.

Comment

Thank you your grace

Blood and souls on their way to you. :D

Comment

heh, you're welcome. :D
        Regret achieves nothing. Regret breeds weakness. Regret is a cancer which attacks the body's vital organs and eventually destroys.

Comment

I've read just about all of Green's works. I like the Deathstalker series, from a creative standpoint. Green comes up with some really imaginative alien worlds and sci-fi settings, as well as some really cool character backgrounds. Unfortunately, where he falls short, IMO, is his characterization. Despite having really in-depth, detailed (and interesting) background, the characters' dialogue and actions don't reflect this. It's a case of telling, not showing. Green tells you their histories, but the one-dimensional characters don't reflect it at all. Case in point, the main character, Owen Deathstalker. From the very beginning, we are told that he is a historian, not a warrior. But nowhere in the story does his scholastic background come into play (and there are many places it could- much of the story deals with threats from the past, events that happened long ago that a historian could know about). Practically from the minute we first see him, though, he is fighting villains- and kicking their behinds. For a non-warrior, Deathstalker is a force to be feared from the word go!

IMO, all of Green's work suffers from this problem- the characters in his Hawk & Fisher works are often ciphers like this. His Nightside books are the best I've seen from him, and reflect a different approach to characterization that I've read. Certainly the main character in those books is as three-dimensional as I've seen Green create (possibly due to the first person narrative style he writes in, I don't know). Likewise, the most recent Deathstalker books are a bit better, character-wise. The characters at least have different "voices", but are all pretty much one-note characters (the fighter, the thief, etc.).

I read him for the big concepts, the world building, the rich backgrounds he creates, not for the characters.

Comment

Working...
          X