Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Hyperion, by Dan Simmons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hyperion, by Dan Simmons

I hope that I'm not alone in liking this one.

Yes, Mr M, there are rather a lot of spaceships in it, but it does have other things that make up for it.

Hyperion it an interesting rif on the Canterbury Tales, and is the story of a number of pilgrims undergoing a mysterious journey against the backdrop of a galaxy-spanning empire about to undergo some eleborate cataclysm. Maybe.

Anyway, each of the pilgrims tells they story of how they came to be there, each in a distinct and familier SF style. The stories are all connected however, and lead the pilgrims on to their destiny.

My poor words do not do it justice. It's good. Lots of people read it. It won some awards, but then what hasn't?

Hugs

Jeremiah

You are certainly not alone, but when I got to the end of Hyperion and realized that, basically, the entire book had been a prelude to the actual plot and had no ending, I was flabbergasted that it had won the Hugo.

My advice to anyone: read it. --And have The Fall of Hyperion handy so you can transition from one to the other smoothly; the sequel picks up the story seconds after the first book ends.

Endymion and Rise of Endymion are also excellent, and the overall ending of the series is as satisfying as anyone would want. :D

Comment

I enjoyed a lot of the far-out concepts in Simmons' Hyperion books, but some of the plotting is just so blatantly contrived it's not true.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee
        I enjoyed a lot of the far-out concepts in Simmons' Hyperion books, but some of the plotting is just so blatantly contrived it's not true.
        In what way?

Comment

Working...
        X