Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Da Vinci Code?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Da Vinci Code?

Has anybody read this book? What did you guys think?

Da Vinci.

I really liked all the facts and ponderings wether they were true or not. The story could have been better. I like anything that challenges exploits or discredits organized religion.
    The character 'Silas' was great.

' Jesus would kiss Mary Magdalane often on the lips. This made the other apostles jealous and they would ask 'Why do you love her more than us?'

Comment

The theories are taken from popular sciences like the book 'Holy Blood - Holy Grail'. And they are just full of nonsense to me.. Cathars usually get exalted by feminist scholars of history because of their "equality" between sexes. But they were not equal for the same reasons in that the womens soul might be a man's soul. I think many other symbolic traits within the esoteric nonsense which permeates the pages of this book is just misleading and is part propaganda for feminists and part fiction.
      I have no quarrels with feminists. And i'm 'no' sympathizer with the church or christianity for that matter. But theories like this are mostly nonsense. Just ask any art historian about the supposed women in the 'Last Supper' painting. It's a 'effemate youth' Da Vinci always liked to draw.. Maybe to act out his homosexuality which plagued him as he was very religious.

Here's one painting of John The Baptist:
      http://www.1st-art-gallery.com/artis...he_baptist.jpg

There's also another one called 'Angel In The Flesh' which shows roughly the same feminin qualities but if one looks down on the painting you will see a male organ. (Couldn't find it on the web today though)

And about the Grail? I bet he hasn't read many of the different versions of the legend.

"The actual Priory of Sion was a tiny, harmless group of like-minded friends formed in 1956."

http://www.cesnur.org/2004/davinci_nyt.htm

I was fooled once by many different 'fantastic' theories.. But i'm wiser now and don't aim to be fooled again.

One thing that's good about the book is that people are getting interested again in the grail legend and art as well..

Comment

I read the book and i enjoyed it. I dont take what it says to literally though.

Comment

I read the book early last year, found it enjoyable enough to keep me busy for about two days. Felt the ending wrapped everything up way too easily and simply. The story needed a lot of work, everything fell into place in a way that you could figure everything out halfway through the book.
          As for the mythos behind it, I dont really know many of the grail legend so i just took everything with a grain of salt.

Comment

For what it's worth, I thought "Angels and Demons" was a much better book....
            "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl f'tagn"

Comment

I found The Da Vinci Code such a frustrating book.

It is gripping, but in an obviously mechanical way.

It cheats the reader, by making them feel smarter than they are: the puzzles Sophie finds challenging should be trivial for someone of her intellect and profession (cryptographer).

But the worst thing - maybe not apparent to an American reader, but jarringly obvious to a British one - are the egregious mistakes Brown makes about the UK, in sharp relief to the ostensibly meticulously researched descriptions of the key locales.

A couple from memory...
              • Brown asserts that England is the only country in Europe where people drive on the left of the road. Quite apart from the usual American slight of conflating England with the UK - so neglecting Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland - there's أ‰ire as well!

Teabing says he is going to "the Isles", presumably meaning "the British Isles". Despite Norman Davies's usage and bearing in mind Irish sensibilities, this is not commonly understood in the UK. To any "Brit" of Teabing's supposed breeding, "the Isles" means a particular group of Scottish islands, usually the southern Inner Hebrides. Teabing was flying home, which he'd have thought of as Britain, Great Britain, or England (with increasing specificity), so would not have said "the British Isles" anyway, as this includes أ‰ire.

How can we believe the fantastic when Brown gets the mundane so wrong?

Tchأ¼أ?,
              Ant

Comment

There's gonna be a movie.

hip, hip, hurruggh! :roll:
                \"Bush\'s army of barmy bigots is the worst thing that\'s happened to the US in some years...\"
                Michael Moorcock - 3am Magazine Interview

Comment

Originally posted by Jerico
                  There's gonna be a movie.

hip, hip, hurruggh! :roll:
                  Yeah! And 'National Treasure' starring Nicholas Cage has roughly the same horse-doodoo in it..

Comment

Working...
                  X