Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

The Eldritch Penguin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Eldritch Penguin

I'm pretty excited about the news that Penguin Books are going to publish a selected works of Clark Ashton Smith, including a decent selection of his poetry and prose-poems. For a long while this looked like just a pipe dream but it looks like the persistence of the editors ST Joshi and Scott Connors. As some of you may know, I'm a big fan of Clark Ashton Smith, who I believe is woefully under appreciated both within and without genre fandom. I doubt that this will exactly make him a household name, but it does put him right up there with Poe, H.P. Lovecraft, R.E. Howard and E.R. Burroughs.

For those who don't know his work it should represent an excellent starting place and for those who do, here is the contents of the tales to be included. I think it is quite a brave mix.

Penguin Modern Classics (tenativel scheduled for early 2014): THE DARK EIDOLON AND OTHER FANTASIES. A mixture of prose poems, fiction, and poetry, the collection include the following sample of Smith's fiction:
    • Sadastor
    • The Tale of Satampra Zeiros
    • The City of the Singing Flame
    • The Holiness of Azédarac
    • The Vaults of Yoh-Vombis
    • The Demon of the Flower
    • The Weird of Avoosl Wuthoqquan
    • Ubbo-Sathla
    • The Double Shadow
    • The Disinterment of Venus
    • The Beast of Averoigne
    • The Maze of the Enchanter
    • Genius Loci
    • The Dark Eidolon
    • The Weaver in the Vault
    • The Death of Malygris
    • The Seven Geases
    • Xeethra
    • The Last Hieroglyph
    • The Treader of the Dust
    • Phoenix

Along with most of the prose poems and a hefty sampling of poetry from all periods of his career (but not, alas, including "The Hashish-Eater," whose length would have meant eliminating too many other fine pieces), this book should ensure CAS' place in the canon.
    There's some stuff omitted that I'd have liked to have seen included, but I'm not going to criticise. I hope Penguin are rewarded for their bravery. They recently did a Machen selected works too, so they're obviously deciding to give the unheralded heroes of weird fiction a turn.
    forum

1. a meeting or assembly for the open discussion of subjects of public interest
    2. a medium for open discussion, such as a magazine
    3. a public meeting place for open discussion

I love Clark Ashton Smith, the Fantasy Masterworks volume is all I have but I love every story in it, I'm a big Lovecraft fan but CAS is a far better writer to me with an even weirder imagination.

Comment

Working...
    X