Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Stuff you read when you were a kid that you still respect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuff you read when you were a kid that you still respect

What are some books and authors that you read when you first started getting into the genre that when you look at them now, you think 'Hey that was actually good!'

I've had a pretty good time rereading

Lloyd Alexander
    Robert E. Howard
    ERB

And I think I might give Andre Norton a try.

Tricky one Jason as i never read a book right through until my late teens but from then i would have to say Mick Farrens DNA Cowboy trilogy i still love and of course Dancers at the end of time.
    "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

People have been telling me about Mick Faren's books for a while, I'll have to try them, I have some of his records but none of his books.

Comment

Ursula Le Guin - Earthsea books - sperb prose and intelligently, but simple stories.
        Papa was a Rolling Stone......

Comment

I generally don't re-read books I read as a kid (say, pre-18) with the exception of Mike's books but I'm sure The Hobbit, Agatha Christie, Alistair MacLean and Harry Harrison's pre-90s Stainless Steel Rat still hold up three decades on.
          _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
          _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
          _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
          _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Susan Cooper; Llyod Alexander; JRRT; Mike; LeGuin; Shakespear; Zelazny; the better comics writers - many being ex-2000AD; quite a lot really.

Comment

Originally posted by opaloka View Post
              People have been telling me about Mick Faren's books for a while, I'll have to try them, I have some of his records but none of his books.
              I would recommend either The Song of Phaid the Gambler,Protectorate or the aforementioned Quest of the DNA Cowboy trilogy as a fine starting point Jason.
              "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Bradbury's stuff still has the ability to make me feel like a kid again. Re-read Mike's Elric saga(s) a bit ago, and really enjoyed them, again.

What, exactly, are we defining as being a kid, Jase?
                Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it.

~Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Hmm. I guess that's up to the individual...

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderlust View Post

What, exactly, are we defining as being a kid, Jase?
                    Smart moneys on this guy WL-

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Most of what I read as a kid, I'd still read & recommend. REH, Fritz Leiber & Mr. Moorcock top the list for sure (though not any De Camp/ Carter/Nyborg pastiches, though I read 'em all at the time). The Hobbit & LotR too, and the early Stainless Steel Rat stories (funny how similar these lists are...).

I read lots of SF, The Forever War is one that I respect more. Cities in Flight, though I read it several times, I wouldn't bother re-visiting.

I read a certain amount of serious fiction. The stuff my mom urged me to read has stayed in my mind a lot more than the things I HAD to read in school. The Light in the Forest and All Quiet on the Western Front are two major influences on me, and they were ones my mother gave to me to read.
                      Dave Hardy
                      http://fireandsword.blogspot.com/

My books: Crazy Greta, Tales of Phalerus the Achaean, and Palmetto Empire.

sigpic

Comment

Alan, that kid looks like he'ss been reading Mick Farren

Comment

I was please to find out that LotRs was better than I expected it to be when I re-read it again as an adult. Also Tom's Midnight Garden rocked when I re-read it.
                          forum

1. a meeting or assembly for the open discussion of subjects of public interest
                          2. a medium for open discussion, such as a magazine
                          3. a public meeting place for open discussion

Comment

Nice article in, The Independent, on Erich Kنstner, for an up coming production of, Emil and the Detectives, at the National Theatre on the South Bank, this Christmas.

http://www.nationaltheatre.org.uk/sh...the-detectives

Brilliant writer, Emil and the Detectives is a true children's classic.

Nice Kنstner bio, here: http://www.thelooniverse.com/books/kastner.html

Comment

Ursual Le Guin's Earth-Sea Trilogy; Kenneth Graham's The Reluctant Dragon (I think I owe my love of dragon stories to him); Dostoeievski's novels; H. Rider Haggard - when I can find him!; Asimov; Arthur C. Clarke; J.R.R. Tolkien; Cordwainer Smith; Andre Norton; and a list of others I've managed to keep around me in spite of adding years (if not exactly wisdom ).

(Well, I found Mike's The Warlord of the Air when I was sixteen and loved it, while it took much longer to find the rest of his writing: does that count? )
                              sigpic Myself as Mephistopheles (Karen Koed's painting of me, 9 Nov 2008, U of Canterbury, CHCH, NZ)

Gold is the power of a man with a man
                              And incense the power of man with God
                              But myrrh is the bitter taste of death
                              And the sour-sweet smell of the upturned sod,

Nativity,
                              by Peter Cape

Comment

Working...
                              X