Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Round world version of The Silmarillion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Round world version of The Silmarillion

Has anyone ever read this? J.R.R. Tolkien was working on it shortly before his death, and can be found in Morgoth's Ring, a volume in the History of Middle-Earth series, under the section "Myths Transformed." In this version of the tale:

Sounds interesting. I love the Silmarillion. But Dunsany kinda ruined it for me when I read Gods of Pegana and Time and the Gods, I realized that Tolkien wasn't very original at all, still a great writer but, it tainted it for me. It still doesn't take away from his incredible achievement in creating Middleearth in his head, and all the languages and cultures and flora and fauna that go with it.

Comment

Sadly, Tolkien's revisions discussed above don't clear up everything. There's these problems:

) If the evening star really is the planet Venus, what really happened to Elendil, Elrond's father, who sailed into the sky with the Silmaril upon his head?

) If the starlight Galadriel gives to Fro do isn't true starlight, then what is it?

) Even if the world always is round and orbits the sun, the Undying Lands are still removed from it at the end of the Second Age and "new lands" are created in their place. Both places can only be located where the Americas are now, but neither can be the Americas, as Aman no longer exists in this world, and the Americas have been here for countless millions of years since splitting off from Pangaea, so they're not new lands by a long shot!

Comment

Maybe some of the original light from the tree still was conserved in any way?

I will not try to look for a exact correspondence, or I'd seeking for elves.

Comment

I am big fan of Lord Of The Rings and The Hobbit. These are my favorite books definitely. However, I really could not go through The Silmarillion yet. It has been like 14 years since I started reading.

It was suggested me to read it in parts, slowly. But it is not working for me...
          "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
          "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

The Silmarillion reminded me of the Bible, when It starts going like "son of X, son Y, won of Z..." (the part that Homer Simpson ffwds when listening an audioBible)

Comment

The Silmarillion is not a novel. It's a potted history of Middle Earth. Or if you like, a "Collected Elven Mythological Anthology of Middle Earth". There are some novelistic parts, like the stories of Feanor's Revolt, Beren and Luthien, Turin and Nienor's Tale, and Earendil and Elwing. But he wrote some parts when he was young and suffering from survivor's guilt, others when he was dealing with The Hobbit's unexpected success, others when he was bemused (and somewhat frightened) by the success of The Lord of the Rings. Ironically it's similar in that one respect to the collected edition of Mike's stories of the Prince of Ruins, different styles according to when he wrote about Elric.
              sigpic Myself as Mephistopheles (Karen Koed's painting of me, 9 Nov 2008, U of Canterbury, CHCH, NZ)

Gold is the power of a man with a man
              And incense the power of man with God
              But myrrh is the bitter taste of death
              And the sour-sweet smell of the upturned sod,

Nativity,
              by Peter Cape

Comment

Working...
              X