Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Conan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Marca View Post
    Does anyone have the Del Rey editions of Howard? Having collected Mike's, I might one day get round to picking up the Howard ones too. I have quite a lot of stuff lying round of his in various editions but admit I've only read a fraction of it over the years. I've usually been impressed by what I've read, though.

Whatever his faults as a writer may have been, he was still a young man when he died and could have gone on to much greater things. He still packed an awful lot into those few years...
    Indeed, the potential was incredible. His late father often expressed that he wished that REH had been as strong as the characters he had written. I have a copy or two of Del Rey books of Howard. Though most of what I have is Lancer and Bantam, Panther and Zebra.

Comment

Del Rey Conans

Originally posted by Marca View Post
      Does anyone have the Del Rey editions of Howard? Having collected Mike's, I might one day get round to picking up the Howard ones too. I have quite a lot of stuff lying round of his in various editions but admit I've only read a fraction of it over the years. I've usually been impressed by what I've read, though.

Whatever his faults as a writer may have been, he was still a young man when he died and could have gone on to much greater things. He still packed an awful lot into those few years...
      Yes, I do. The three Conan volumes (Coming of Conan, Conquering Sword of Conan, & Bloody Crown). I've also got the Wandering Star HB for Bran Mak Morn, and the Del Rey Solomon Kane, Kull, Horror Stories, Sword Woman, and El Borak (I wrote the back essay for that one). My friend Rusty Burke edited the series, and guys like Patrice Louinet & Steve Tompkins wrote essays for them.

I like that the Conan stories are in the order REH wrote them in, so reading them in that sequence is a bit like getting them as they came from Weird Tales. There's also a lot of extras, fragments & synopses, that sort of thing. It's a real playground for an REH fan. The illos are quite good, though they were mostly intended to be color, but had to be B&W for the Del Rey's. Gary Gianni is my favorite illustrator here, very much in the Brandywine School tradition, he's a modern Wyeth or Pyle, and I don't say that lightly. Greg Manchess's work is awesome too (he's another real genius) and I like Mark Schultz a lot.

If you're an REH fan, looking for the next thing after Conan, get the Bison Books series. There's boxing stories (edited by Chris Gruber), tall-tale Westerns, serious Westerns, Crusader & adventure tales, and a marvelous collection of fantasy with American settings put together by Steve Tompkins (The Black Stranger & other American Tales).

I could list a dozen more titles, like Mark Finn's biography or REH, Blood & Thunder, the Weird Works series of mass-market PBs, and the stuff from the REH Foundation.

This is really the golden age of REH books.
      Dave Hardy
      http://fireandsword.blogspot.com/

My books: Crazy Greta, Tales of Phalerus the Achaean, and Palmetto Empire.

sigpic

Comment

Indeed!

Comment

There's a rather good biographical article on, Robert E. Howard: The Lost Celt, by Angeline Adams and Remco van Straten, in the this month's issue (#296), of The Fortean Times. Goes into some interesting background that fills out some of the missing details of what went towards making Howard into the fine writer that he became, as well as a sympathetic look at some of the circumstance leading up to his tragic early death.

Also all the usual FT weird stuff, with alien sex fiends, talking elephants, an appreciation of Aleister Crowley's artistic efforts and monstrous Swedish killer pig legends.

Well worth checking out.

Comment

Working...
          X