Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What was the last book you bought? (2012)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was the last book you bought? (2012)

As no-one seems to have conjured up this thread so far, here goes...

While we were down in Bath yesterday to meet up with friends and sample the beautiful sparkling healthy spa water (hic), I picked up some goodies for a couple of quid each:
    • A pristine HB copy of the complete Ripping Yarns scripts
    • A nice HB collection of 'alternative history' essays
    • Mike's Blood (PB)
    • William Gibson's Pattern Recognition (PB)

Ripping Yarns, I really liked and loved the Northern skits.

Like Gibson's Pattern Reconigtion, when I read it.

Yesterday, bought Scholars and Soldiers by Mary Gentle. Intrigued about this author.
    Papa was a Rolling Stone......

Comment

I just bought Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest and Girl Who Played With Fire for my gf, who is going away all week. She finished the first one in the series last night so could so with some more reading to keep her going. For me, it was Coming of the Terraphiles by some Moorcock fella :)
      The name that can be named is not the true name.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamelion View Post
        I just bought Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest and Girl Who Played With Fire for my gf, who is going away all week. She finished the first one in the series last night so could so with some more reading to keep her going. For me, it was Coming of the Terraphiles by some Moorcock fella :)
        Just had a weekend watching the three Stieg Larsson fillums. The first one is the best, and better than the book. Very disturbing and brutal in parts. The other two are very good but I haven't read the books so I can't compare them.

Took delivery today of the London Compendium that Kevjo recommended in another thread.

Comment

Originally posted by porcus_volans View Post
          Just had a weekend watching the three Stieg Larsson fillums. The first one is the best, and better than the book. Very disturbing and brutal in parts. The other two are very good but I haven't read the books so I can't compare them.
          I haven't seen or read any of them, but my gf says she wants to see the original films before watching the remake. I'm a huge Nine Inch Nails fan, so I'm interested in watching the remake purely to bliss out to Trent's score :)
          The name that can be named is not the true name.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamelion View Post
            Originally posted by porcus_volans View Post
            I haven't seen or read any of them, but my gf says she wants to see the original films before watching the remake. I'm a huge Nine Inch Nails fan, so I'm interested in watching the remake purely to bliss out to Trent's score :)
            You can pick them up in HMV for a fiver a go. Swedish with English sub-titles. Good value for money IMHO.

Comment

Having paid a flying visit to Kelmscott, and read about his trips along the Thames, I've just taken delivery of 'News from Nowhere' and also Fiona McCarthy's biography of William Morris. I've known who he is for years, but I've never really got around to reading anything by him, (or about him) and I thought it was about time I did.

Comment

Tally - Ho, Cornelius!...This is an odd one but it cheered me up for a while.
                Last edited by Kymba334; 01-23-2012, 04:41 PM.
                Mwana wa simba ni simba

The child of a lion is also a lion - Swahili Wisdom

Comment

22,000 Leages Under The Sea by Jules Verne
                  Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
                  Yeager by General Chuck Yeager And Leo Janos

Comment

Absolute Promethea vols 2 & 3; been waiting for these to drop below the £50 price point and last week Amazon took them to £48 each. Sold! I thought and luckily had some money in the piggy bank to spend on them. Darned HDNL should have delivered them on Saturday but decided instead to leave them in the depot over the weekend, only delivering them this afternoon. Still, they're flipping gorgeous books and the larger size really showcases J.H. Williams artwork.

_"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley View Post
                      Absolute Promethea vols 2 & 3; been waiting for these to drop below the £50 price point and last week Amazon took them to £48 each. Sold! I thought and luckily had some money in the piggy bank to spend on them. Darned HDNL should have delivered them on Saturday but decided instead to leave them in the depot over the weekend, only delivering them this afternoon. Still, they're flipping gorgeous books and the larger size really showcases J.H. Williams artwork.

Still waiting to read the whole series from start to finish, but sound great one for the big win list. So I might be waiting for some time.

Comment

How does the Absolute Promethia series handle Moore's dissasembly / reassembly approach to the comic form?

Comment

Couple of better copies of some books I already have including Michner's Covenant and Sword of Winter by Marta Randall and a copy of a James Bond book for my father.
                          herb

Man spends his time on devising a more idiot proof computer. The universe spends its time devising bigger idiots. So far the universe is winning.

http://www.wolfshead.net/wolfshowl

http://www.wolfshead.net/books

Comment

Up north at the moment, so popped into the Library to see what books they were selling off.

Hikayat: Short stories by Lebanese Women - which looked like a fascinating find.

The Book of The Thousand and One Nights volume 1 - again thought this would compliment the other book.

Done in the Antiques shop, I decided to Mediterranean Medley by Lionel Dawson about a naval officer in the near east just after World War 1, which would overlap with Byzantium Endures.

Comment

i went to the used bookstore, and found several history books at reasonable prices:

Mayflower: A Story of Courage, Community, and War by Philbrick, it's the story of the Pigrams up through King Philip's War

T R: The Last Romantic by H. W. Brands about Teddy Roosevelt

Undaunted Courage by Stephen Ambrose about Lewis and Clark

The Verneys: A True Story of Love, War, and Madness in Seventeenth Century England by Adrian Tinniswood about three generations of an English family in the seventeenth century

The Imperial Cruise: A Secret History of Empire and War by James Bradley, about the diplomatic mission to Asia launched in 1905 with future president Taft and Alice Roosevelt

i found these all for between $1.50 and $4.00, and i have plenty of trade credit, so i figured i'd get some history going on. i usually don't read all that much history, but i feel i should. i've started reading Mayflower.

Comment

Working...
                              X