Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What book are you reading right now? (2012)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What book are you reading right now? (2012)

Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut.

Still reading two holdovers form 2011:

The Dreamquest of Unknown Kadath by H.P. Lovecraft and Bug Jack Barron by Norman Spinrad.

HPL is slow going. Long and descriptive, so I have to be in the mood to read it, but Spinrad is good. Kinda hints at the power that people like Dr. Phil and the other Talk Show Hosts have now, I think.
    Madness is always the best armor against Reality

Comment

I read Bug Jack Barron after seeing Spinrad appear with Mike during the SciFi exhibition at the British Library last year. One of the best books I've read for a long time, and genuinely prophetic about the power of the cult of television celebrity.

Comment

Book 7, I think it's titled Blood of Amber.
        Thick as wind-blown leaves innumerable, since 1985

Comment

Speaking of Spinrad I just finished his most recent novel Mexica which was rather compulsive reading. I am now betweeen books.

Comment

Neil Gaiman's "A Dangerous Alphabet" . A Christmas present for my 4 year old daughter.

Comment

Just opened The Face by Jack Vance
              "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

After accidentally reading Absolution Gap - the last book in the trilogy (in an orgy of "Bloody hell this is good!" and "Oh shit...this is the LAST book??"), now reading Revelation Space for the first time (the first book).

Not impressed with Chasm City, though.

Can someone give me quick guide to these books? I trust you guys, not Amazon.

Des
                Spacerockmanifesto on Facebook

Hawkwind tabs

Comment

Been a coupla years since i read em Des.
                  I read The Prefect when it came out and unlike most prequels it wasn't bad at all-worth a look.
                  Have you read Pushing Ice yet?
                  Now that one i highly recommend!
                  "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

I've been reading the main trilogy in order, Des, with a detour between the second and third (which I'm on now) for Chasm City, which I didn't think was that bad. So not too much help, but I can tell you that CC ties in with Redemption Ark, even though it's not part of the main sequence.

From what I gather, many of the short stories fill in details of events alluded to in the novels, but the short story 'Galactic North' tells more of what happens after the events in Absolution Gap so you still have a few things to find out. There are more RS stories collected in a book of the same name as the story I mentioned, and a couple of novellas in another book called Diamond Dogs, Turquoise Days. There is at least one more short story in Deep Navigation, too.
                    You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Amongst other things I'm starting my Doc Savage collection over. First up, Man of Bronze
                      herb

Man spends his time on devising a more idiot proof computer. The universe spends its time devising bigger idiots. So far the universe is winning.

http://www.wolfshead.net/wolfshowl

http://www.wolfshead.net/books

Comment

I'm not really reading anything right now but over Christmas I did somehow - in the space of about a week - manage to end up reading Mike's Dream Quest Trilogy, finally.
                        _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                        _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                        _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                        _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

I've been working my way through The Man Who Invented the Daleks: The Strange Worlds of Terry Nation, by Alwyn W Turner

Outside Dennis Potter and Jack Rosenthal it's hard to find biographies (or autobiogs) of TV writers, so this is a welcome addition. It's far from a hagiography, as well: it's quick to acknowledge when his work was a bit sub-standard or derivative.

It also doesn't just focus on his Doctor Who work - it includes his stuff for the ITC adventure series and his other high-profile Beeb series like Survivors and Blake's 7, as well as various projects that didn't get off the ground.

Comment

Finished my Vancian exploits and have now opened Ghosts of Sleath by James Herbert.

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Thanks TF and Gov!
                              Spacerockmanifesto on Facebook

Hawkwind tabs

Comment

Working...
                              X