Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Land of Laughs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Land of Laughs

I like Jonathan Carroll a lot, but this one had somehow escaped me. This seems a little odd since some consider this his masterpiece. I've had a copy of the relatively rare Viking edition for a long time, but I didn't read it until I wound up with a copy of the Orb reprint. Yes, I'm one of those who is afraid to read some of his books. But enough of my neuroses...

The Land of Laughs, like many of Carrol's books, works on many levels. On one level, it is about a dead celebrated children's author who literally writes a town and most of its citizens nto existence, and then creates their futures through his writing, as well as the troubled high school teacher who goes to the author's town to write the biography of his literary hero. However, it is also about coming to terms with who you are and why, and the suffocating power of obsession.

The writing isn't quite as tight as Carroll's later work, but some passages contain true magic. Carroll creates phrases that are imaginative and descriptive, without ever being trite or self-indulgant. Most importantly, the story is wickedly engaging and very entertaining. Carroll builds the reader's sense of dread, and then smacks you at the end (which is typical of his writing).

It is especially interesting to people who can clearly imagine writers creating realities and characters that we truly believe. Not that any of us on this board are like that. Even though I have a crush on Una Persson. :D Oops... I said enough of my neuroses. Now I'm getting into my psychoses...

By the way, thanks LSN for inspiring me to finally write a review/ summary. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Doc
      By the way, thanks LSN for inspiring me to finally write a review/ summary. :)
      You're welcome. ;)

Don't you find, on average, that literate people who genuinely like a book
      don't need much prompting to write about their response?

LSN

Comment

At the risk of fracturing my own thread... :lol:

I couldn't agree more. I started early in life, telling friends about my favorite Dr. Suess books. Since I wanted to do it when I was three, I'm not surprised my sickness continues.

Seriously, though, I think people who are well read like to talk about books--not to show off how much reading they've accumulated, but rather to share the passion that led them to be so well read. I like to share when something has paid me dividends.

I think music and film fans are very similar, but every hardcore bibliophile I've known is a little more rabid than even the most die-hard fan of other media.

Comment

Working...
        X