Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What was the first book you bought?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sadly i wasn't able to read well enough to read a whole book until i was in my very late teens(long story!)so i can remember the exact date i bought my first book.
    It was 10th 0f February 1985(my 21st birthday!) and it was a book by Robert Heinlein called Friday.
    Cant remember much about it except that it had a sexy android on the cover!
    I didnt have a clue what to buy because i never really knew anyone who read books but i was influenced by 2000 AD and the film Blade Runner to look for science fiction.
    Coupla months down the road i picked up an omnibus edition of Dancers at the End of Time and the rest,as they say,is history!
    "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by thingfish View Post
      It was 10th 0f February 1985(my 21st birthday!) and it was a book by Robert Heinlein called Friday.
      Cant remember much about it except that it had a sexy android on the cover!
      This cover?

If you don't remember that this is one of the later Heinleins, where the heroine's nipples go 'Spung!' whenever she has sex, then you may consider yourself lucky, tf.
      _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
      _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
      _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
      _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

I really can't remember the first book I bought, but one thing is for sure (like so many others here) it would have been a Target doctor Who novel... Not sure which one tho... there were so many and I had quite a few of them... Later it was Fighting Fantasy game books and Moorcock... And now my book buying has just got totally out of all control! Damn you, Target!
        forum

1. a meeting or assembly for the open discussion of subjects of public interest
        2. a medium for open discussion, such as a magazine
        3. a public meeting place for open discussion

Comment

The very one Dave!

Although weirdly it says here http://www.wegrokit.com/museum.htm that that cover is a 1989 UK edition but i definitely got it in '85.
          Last edited by thingfish; 12-30-2011, 05:18 PM.
          "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

That was the last book I bought by Heinlein. I was (and still am) a big fan of his earlier stuff but was becoming increasingly disillusioned by his later stuff. That pile of was the final straw.
            You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

I agree with you Gov. I really enjoyed his earlier stuff but a lot of his later stuff just dragged. Part of the problem was that for some reason he, and a number of his contemporaries, started to write stories that tried to bring all their earlier works together and tie them in a package with a big red bow and a lot of it seemed forced. Why this became a trend back then I have no idea unless other publishers saw the sucess Mike had with the interleaving of his characters and figured they could do the same with other writers. unfortunately Mike laid the groundwork early for such a concept with his idea of the Multiverse so he wasn't just taking independent characters and stories and trying to force them to fit together long after the characters had seen the light of day. Heinlein himself had a central theme for a number of his stories in his alternate Earth/future history timeline but trying to pull everything together using Lazarus Long and the Methuselah story line just seemed too contrived.

BTW, I preferred the Michael Whelen cover for Friday. She was much sexier.

http://www.glassonion.com/catalog/co...=FRIDAY&cat_id=

According to Whelan he had a number of people ask who modeled or him but according to him, while he had a model to get the right lines for the drape of her clothes and such, she is a figment of his imagination. I like his imagination.
              herb

Man spends his time on devising a more idiot proof computer. The universe spends its time devising bigger idiots. So far the universe is winning.

http://www.wolfshead.net/wolfshowl

http://www.wolfshead.net/books

Comment

The first book I actually bought with my own pocket money was probably Jewel In The Skull by Mr Moorcock. I usually read books from the school library or presents at chrimbo/birthday until I was 11. I saw the coolest looking cover ever, and read the blurb at the back, I thought, that is the kind of book I want to read. I think I read the Hawkmoon books before I read Lord Of The Rings.
                Energy Is Eternal Delight

Comment

Pebbles Major and Minor were impressed with the Alice exhibition at the Tate Liverpool.

I wonder if the Alice books are one that parents think their children should read, rather than what they (children) want.
                  Papa was a Rolling Stone......

Comment

It's a bit of an irrelevancy in this thread. It's about the first book you bought with your own money, rather than had bought for you.
                    You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Working...
                    X