Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Dan Simmons Hyperion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dan Simmons Hyperion

Has anyone read this series? I'm reading the second book Fall of Hyperion and I'm finding it a bit slow and boring to say the least. The fist book was kind of like this ( slow and boring) but it got a lot better toward the end and I'm wondering if this book is worth the effort. If someone here can convince me one way or another I would appreciate it. Its been compared to Foundation and Dune and I liked those books but this isn't doing anything for me.

FGR

not sure I should be replying as I can't help much. I gave up before you.!

I had come across mountains of praise for this series and went in expecting fireworks!!. I got to the Soldier's tale before I lost interest so you're doing better than me (perseverence shows character :) ).

I was disapointed. I hate giving up books because there's always that nagging suspicion that you'll start to enjoy it in a few pages. then again, if you read all 4 books and think - that was crap - you've wasted a lot of valuable reading time - life's too short.

sorry to state the obvious - I can sympathise with your dilemma but can't advise :(

Comment

Thanks, Yesterday I read The Time Dweller by MM (just the short story not the whole book) and I found that Mike can put more into a short story than a lot of criticilly aclaimed authors can in a 600 page book. Maybe I'll alternate between Fall of Hyperion and short storys by Mike. I'd still like to here from someone thats read the whole series.

Comment

yeah I've read collection - good stuff :)

Comment

I could have sworn that I started a post on this somewhere....oh well, perhaps that was on another branch of the Tree...

I really really enjoyed Hyperion (read it lots) and Fall of Hyperion (read it several times, still not sure that I quite understand what the hell is going on, but that's nothing new).

Endymion, book 3, or possibly book 1 of series two, I didn't like. It had none of the grand sweep of the first two, the literary allusions and scifi in-jokes.

Book four I have yet to read.

Comment

I'm up to about page 400 now and it has gotten a lot better, I just wish it didn't take so long to get this good.

Comment

Some things are worth taking their time over.

My life expectancy is apparently double what my great-grandfather's was (admittedly he was gassed in WW1), so I can afford to read things that take slightly longer to get going.

Jeremiah

Comment

Working...
              X