Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Echoes in and with Philip K Dick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Echoes in and with Philip K Dick

I am new to this site and as such may be repeating a previous thread (in which case I would be grateful to be redirected) but I was wondering if anyone else thought that The Black Corridor was like a Philip K Dick novel? I have been a big fan of Michael Moorcock for a long time now, but I have also been a big fan of PKD for about the same amount of time, due to the insistence of a good friend. Over the course of many re-readings of both authors, it has occurred to me that there are certain crossovers in feel or content between the two. In The Black Corridor there is a decided psychological uncertainty to the perceptions of the main character which are reminiscent of a PKD story. Conversely, (if that's the right word), in Upon the Dull Earth, PKD describes what may well be described as the multiverse, albeit couched in the terms of a recognisable PKD story.

Could someone please reassure me that I'm not undergoing some sort of Dickian reality shift (due to my heretical interest in another author), and that there are echoes of MM's work in other people's work!
    You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Gov

I have no idea if the author Steven Erikson is directly influenced by Mike (maybe influenced by someone influenced???...), but I see echoes of the Mulitiverse in the Warrens from his Malazan series.

Not to everyone's taste, but I like Erikson's work a lot.

I would whole heartedly agree about the Black Corridor - great story!!!

Comment

Hello to you in Bath, home of the wonderful "Naturals"!
      L'Etranger
      Google ergo sum

Comment

There may well be a Dickian influence in The Black Corridor and elsewhere Governor (Guv? ). I have an old 60s issue of the fanzine Vector somewhere with a Moorcock article called (I think) The Real Ideas Of Philip K. Dick(?) and MM was a champion of Dick's work at the time. I think there are also echoes of Dick (as well as William S Burroughs) in The Deep Fix, for example.
        'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

Originally posted by LEtranger
          Hello to you in Bath, home of the wonderful "Naturals"!
          L'Etranger
          Hello, right back at you! The "Naturals" are an excellent example of Great British eccentrism, and a joy to behold. I sometimes wonder if they might be a manifestation of the Balance, bringing, as they do, a little bit of of Chaos to a staid, Law centred city.
          Anyway, thank you to the respondents for their replies. Unfortunately, I am not familiar enough with the work of either author mentioned to make a comparison. After making an almost complete rereading of my entire MM collection, I have embarked on a similar task regarding PKD, starting with his short stories. It is because of this that the comparison came to mind. If anything else crops up, I shall keep you posted.
          You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Working...
          X