Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Wondering if Michael Moorcock likes Stephen King.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wondering if Michael Moorcock likes Stephen King.

I was just wondering if Mike likes Stephen King (his books that is not the person) I know Mike's opinion on most popular authors but I can't remember him saying anything good or bad about King and while I'm at it does anyone else like him? I think he's pretty good but I can only handle him in small doses.

I know MM has mentioned King on the board, but I don't remember him ever saying anything about King's writing, only his version of success.

As for me, I used to really like him, but I think one or both of us has changed a little too much. I loved his old stuff like It and The Stand, and I really liked what he did in Different Seasons. I still think The Body captures male adolescence better than most thigs I've ever read. He tells stories really well, like the best fireside camp counselor ever (and I mean that in a complimentary way), but I think he's running out of stories. His newer stuff just hasn't struck a chord with me, with the exception of the Dark Tower, which I started a very long time ago and still appeals to me. Even so, I'm not sure if it appeals to the part of me who is still the 14-year-old kid who first read The Gunslinger or who I am now.

Speaking of the Dark Tower, here's something I think is a little sad for some reason. King has said many times that the Dark Tower is the series he's always been driven to write; it is the one story he's always wanted to tell. However, he's written in it spurts because of its limited commercial appeal. That's where you can tell that literary successes are relative. Its print runs have been about a third the size of his normal print runs, so they may not be appealing, even though those print runs are larger than nearly any other author on the planet will ever see. Anyway, I remember him essentially saying that he wouldn't write what he wanted to write because of industry pressures, so he's a bit of a victim of his own successes. Not that most of us would mind to be so victimized... :D

Comment

Working...
    X