Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What's your favorite ERB Mars novel, excluding the original trilogy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's your favorite ERB Mars novel, excluding the original trilogy?

Other than The Gods of Mars and The Warlord of Mars, the only Edgar Rice Burroughs Mars novel I have read is The Mastermind of Mars, which I didn't think could live up to the standard set in my mind by the other two (especially because John Carter is not the main character), but did turn out to be highly enjoyable. And yes, I am yet to find a decently priced copy of A Princess of Mars, and thus am yet to read it.

I also have A Fighting Man of Mars, The Synthetic Men of Mars, and Swords or Mars, which are all pretty high up on my reading list (I just read TMOM last month).

So when I start looking to get more of his Mars books, which would you guys recommend I go for first? And why?

Also, kind of unrelated, but does anyone know if MM's Mars books are written in the first person, like ERB's? I love writing in the first person and am yet to read any of Michael's works that are written from that perspective.
    Last edited by KarmanalOfZert; 02-04-2010, 07:36 AM. Reason: put in why I didn't think TMOM would be as good as TGOM and TWOM
    "When the Eleatics denied motion, Diogenes, as everyone knows, came forward as an opponent. He literally did come forward, because he did not say a word but merely paced back and forth a few times, thereby assuming that he had sufficiently refuted them."
    - Sّren Kierkegaard

Originally posted by KarmanalOfZert View Post
    Other than The Gods of Mars and The Warlord of Mars, the only Edgar Rice Burroughs Mars novel I have read is The Mastermind of Mars, which I didn't think could live up to the standard set in my mind by the other two (especially because John Carter is not the main character), but did turn out to be highly enjoyable. And yes, I am yet to find a decently priced copy of A Princess of Mars, and thus am yet to read it.

I also have A Fighting Man of Mars, The Synthetic Men of Mars, and Swords or Mars, which are all pretty high up on my reading list (I just read TMOM last month).

So when I start looking to get more of his Mars books, which would you guys recommend I go for first? And why?

Also, kind of unrelated, but does anyone know if MM's Mars books are written in the first person, like ERB's? I love writing in the first person and am yet to read any of Michael's works that are written from that perspective.
    Not sure if MM Mars books are first person but I'm sure they are... Of course his Pyat novels, starting with Byzantium Endures, are all first person and if you've never read them then you are in for a treat!
    forum

1. a meeting or assembly for the open discussion of subjects of public interest
    2. a medium for open discussion, such as a magazine
    3. a public meeting place for open discussion

Comment

The Kane novels are narrated in the 1stP by Edward Powys Bradbury initially and thenceafter by Kane himself iirc. So two for the price of one so to speak.
      _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
      _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
      _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
      _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

And yes, I am yet to find a decently priced copy of A Princess of Mars, and thus am yet to read it.

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sear...mars&x=41&y=18
        Madness is always the best armor against Reality

Comment

And yes, I am yet to find a decently priced copy of A Princess of Mars, and thus am yet to read it.
          I picked this one up on the clearance rack at my local bookstore -- brand new -- for $2. It's a soft cover, but it's easy to handle and easy to read! Also, don't forget to check your local public library.
          “The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift.” - Albert Einstein

Comment

Thanks for the information pertaining to MM's Mars books and other first person stories, fellows.

So I guess no one has anything to put in pertaining to the title of this thread?
            "When the Eleatics denied motion, Diogenes, as everyone knows, came forward as an opponent. He literally did come forward, because he did not say a word but merely paced back and forth a few times, thereby assuming that he had sufficiently refuted them."
            - Sّren Kierkegaard

Comment

I downloaded them all free online. (no copyright). If you don't have an e-reader maybe you could just print it off? No idea how much that would cost. I liked Mastermind. Reading Thurvia now.

PS, I saw a new reprint of "princess" in UK stores, I just remembered.

Comment

So I guess no one has anything to put in pertaining to the title of this thread?
                I haven't read them since I was a kid, so I really don't recall specific book plots. A Princess of Mars is a classic, of course, and I remember the one where John Carter and Tars Tarkas go to the "land of the dead". Is that the same one with Thuvia and the sky pirates in it? I don't recall, but I remember liking that one. I wish I could recall more of them....
                “The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift.” - Albert Einstein

Comment

It's amazing how a petulant tone can kill any possibility of a thread taking off.
                  Two days and the toys left the pram.

Comment

I loved MAstermind - I thougt it was really brave of ERB to write a mars book with no sword fights or action, all puzzles and characters outwitting each other mentally - a great surprise! I tried to read the 5th book but just had overdosed on ERB by then. The main character of Mastermind was a lot more humble and down to earth than "listen to me boast about how noble I am" Carter.

Comment

Just brought my SFBC editions of the ERB Barsoom books out of storage. Had no idea they were selling for as much as they were. May have to forgo reading them again to preserve their condition. Nah.
                      herb

Man spends his time on devising a more idiot proof computer. The universe spends its time devising bigger idiots. So far the universe is winning.

http://www.wolfshead.net/wolfshowl

http://www.wolfshead.net/books

Comment

Chessmen of Mars.
                        Utterly tops.

Comment

Originally posted by Rothgo View Post
                          It's amazing how a petulant tone can kill any possibility of a thread taking off.
                          Two days and the toys left the pram.
                          I probably assumed that the first half of my post which you left out of your quote would avoid giving that impression. My apologies, and thanks for the "Chessmen" recommendation.
                          - Sّren Kierkegaard

Comment

Working...
                          X