Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What book are you reading right now? (2010)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Undoubtedly. Probably working out her books in her head as well. I mean, TF, I'm not real sure I'm smart enough to picture the kinds of things that chemical physicists work on.
    Kevin McCabe
    The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

• Originally posted by thingfish View Post
      Thought you would like Flashy Gov!
      I would strongly recommend Flashman at the Charge if you are in the mood for some more.
      I think that FatC is the best of series.
      Papa was a Rolling Stone......

Comment

• Do the publication order of the Flashman books follow the internal chronology? I was just going to look for them in that order.
        You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

• As far as i remember they do Gov.
          "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• The Flashman series was not published in chronological order. They do jump around and there are mentions to other episodes that were never written. Intriguingly, Flashman appears in a cameo role in the novel - Mr American, where he suggests the UK should use its martime role as in the Napoleonic time.

Think I have mentioned this elsewhere, but if you get the chance to visit the Lancaster Museum there are some fascinating exhibits from the Abyssinia expedition - Flashman on the March.

Comment

• Thanks guys. I'll probably try to get them in the order they came out, and end up buying them as I see them.

Finished the Doyle collection, as I said I might. The tales themselves were were well written, with a delightful turn of phrase here and there, along with the odd sentence that reminds you they were written, in the main, over a century ago. However, for so called 'Tales of Unease' they really failed in that remit with me. The set-up was predictable and I could see the end coming every time, except for the last story, and that was so short it was hardly worth waiting for. The most disappointing thing about reading these is the fact that I may now think twice before reading any of ACD's other stand-alone stories. He must have done better than these, though, without having Holmes, Gerrard or Challenger in them.

I'm about halfway through Longitude, and it's fascinating! Harrison was an amazing man. A self educated perfectionist, his clocks still work today! A short book with large type, this is a must read.
              You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

• I'm re-reading Jack Vance's books, starting with Phantasms and Magicks and going on to the Dying Earth books. Brilliant reading. I recently re-read M. John Harrison's Viriconium books, which set me in the mood for the Vance books. Wonderful memories of that era.

Comment

• Been in more of a short story mode lately. Reading Neil Gaiman's, "Fragile Things."
                  "Run to the hills! Run for your life!" But first; nap!sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Governor of Rowe Island View Post
                    Thanks guys. I'll probably try to get them in the order they came out, and end up buying them as I see them.

I'm about halfway through Longitude, and it's fascinating! Harrison was an amazing man. A self educated perfectionist, his clocks still work today! A short book with large type, this is a must read.
                    The potted bio at the beginning of the books is a good taster of where Sir Harry went.

If you get the chance, the Old Royal Observatory at Greenwich has all of Harrison's time pieces on display (or it did the last time, I was there). It is one of my favourite places in London with the Naval Museum and the park, you can view Sir John Vanburgh house and look for the Isle of Dogs Ley Line!

Comment

• 'Bout halfway through the secon book of the Star Trek: Titan series The Red King--Long Live Space Opera!!

I'm just starting The Sword Swallower by Ron Goulart
                      Madness is always the best armor against Reality

Comment

• Have just opened The English Assassin!!
                        "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Hornswaggled by local events, I'm just past the first half of The Wild Ass's Skin, but I'm also 4 discs into the audiobook version of the well-written and apparently well-researched An Imperfect God: George Washington, His Slaves and the Creation of America, by Henry Weincek.

Comment

• Taking a little time to read a few pages from Paine's Common Sense. I do it every year or so.
                            Kevin McCabe
                            The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

• Raymond Feist's Krondor: The Assassins. Second book in his Riftwar Legacy series. This was a false start book for me. Bought it years ago on the discount pile and tried a time or two to read and it didn't grab me and so down it went. Picked it up again yesterday in my cataloging effort and this time I got into it. Now I have to get the other two books in Riftwar Legacy and possibly more in his Riftwar universe.
                              herb

Man spends his time on devising a more idiot proof computer. The universe spends its time devising bigger idiots. So far the universe is winning.

http://www.wolfshead.net/wolfshowl

http://www.wolfshead.net/books

Comment

• Finished the Strangelove Gambit by David Bishop - a Nikolai Dante tie in. A bit of candy floss. Now on to Silas Marner having heard the In Your Time programme, I found it by accident in the library and read the first few chapters. Rather good.

Comment

Working...
                                X