Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What book are you reading right now? (2010)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Currently bizzy reading "The New Nature of The Catastrophe"

Have this book for 12 years staring at me and now I'm finally reading it!
    "He began to flood through the universe and then through the multiverse, to the sound of The Beatles singing "A Day In The Life", throbbing in time to the cosmic pulse. Universe upon universe; dimension upon dimension; they spread out together and the extraneous energie released in the explosionpoured into the box and into Catherine's body." - A Cure For Cancer

Comment

• I've been traveling like a zephyr this past week. Since last Thursday, I finished the audiobook of Dante's Paradiso and my paperback of von Goethe's Faust, Part Two, then immediately started (and have now nearly finished) Storm Constantine's The Enchantments of Flesh and Spirit: the dusty old time machine has rocketed straight out of medieval Roman Catholic dogma, refueled in a Greco-Germanic Hell, and then crashed into a hermaphroditic frolic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Guzzlecrank View Post
        refueled in a Greco-Germanic Hell, and then crashed into a hermaphroditic frolic.
        Sounds like a half-decent night out GC!
        I just finished The Steel Tsar and am left gasping for more so its time for a JC re-read starting with The Final Programme.
        "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Now here's a recommendation that I think you'll like, TF, & other folks, too: during the drive home tonight, I finished listening to the audiobook of Seamus Heaney reading his 1999 translation of Beowulf. It is worth your time.

Meanwhile, I'm in The Wild Ass's Skin, by Balzac.

Comment

• That sounds good GC.
            I'll be having a look for that.
            Cheers!
            "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• On the bus to and from work I'm reading Please Kill Me which is fantastic. I'm only about two or three chapters in and my esteem for Iggy Pop has grown a lot. Lots of funny anecdotes.

Before that my bus reading was that Human Smoke book which I mentioned in another thread a while ago. Finally got around to reading that. Also a great read - made me realise how little I knew about the beginnings of WWII: eg. if anyone is wondering whether Pearl Harbor was a set up, it's not worth thinking about: Roosevelt/Washington had been winding up the Japanese for years (they were having wet dreams about bombing Nagasaki since the 30s), and Churchill was just mad about bombs and chemical weapons...

Where Please Kill Me has me giggling on the bus, Human Smoke had me starting to feel sick just as my stop came up. These kind of histories made of quotes are perfect bus reading BTW. I don't feel like I have to worry about interruptions to any mood I get into etc. You can pick them up and put them down pretty much anywhere.

I'm still taking my time with the short stories in To Rescue Tanelorn... I read "The Singing Citadel" last night which has become my new favourite Elric story. I think it strikes the right balance somehow - sorry I can't be more specific. I loved the moth-man thing.

"Phase I" was an interesting (great) read too. I actually own more Jerry Cornelius books than I do, or rather did, Elric books. So it was fascinating so see at last in this context how derivative of the Elric tropes it is. A lot of the word-play is now more apparent. It's a stroke of genius though. There are things you can do in a Cornelius story - places you can take it etc - that you can't do in an Elric one.

On A Planet Alien by Barry Malzberg was the last full novel that I read (still slowly working through my small pile 2nd hand Malzbergs - two left). I'm not sure if I enjoyed it as much as his Overlay which I read a few months ago. But maybe that's because I was a little confused with the ending. Can anyone help?

The story is great BTW and Malzberg does something interesting with which I won't mention for fear of spoilers and because it's such a short book.

Comment

• Finished Flashman and loved it. What a cad! I'll definitely be looking out for the rest.

Almost finished the Conan Doyle book of shorts in my work bag (Tales of Unease) and I haven't been that impressed tbh. I've read all the Holmes, Challenger and Gerard stories but these haven't been up to the standards of those, imo. Perhaps I'm just a bit starstruck! I'm thinking of finishing it this weekend and starting on the Arthur C Clarke anthology I have: The Wind From the Sun.

Now a couple of chapters into Longitude by Dava Sobel, which has started out well. Covered in praise from the broadsheets, I don't think it will disappoint.
                You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

• Thought you would like Flashy Gov!
                  I would strongly recommend Flashman at the Charge if you are in the mood for some more.

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Little Fuzzy by H. Beam Piper. Actually the book itself is The Fuzzy Papers which contains Little Fuzzy and it's sequel The Other Human Race. It's an old SFBC book I bought back in college and somewhere over the years it had disapeared and last night, for some strange reason, I was checking an old magazine rack that I don't normally use and buried there, amidst a bunch of old Ladies Home Jurnals and Redbooks sat The Fuzzy Papers. How it got there and how long it's been there I will never know but I know I have been looking for it for at least 9 years. Always thought it would be a great story to read to my daughter or, now that she's old enough, to give her to read. Glad to have it back even if it is a bit beat up.

Always liked H. Beam Piper. Shame he ended his life the way he did just as a lot of his stories were hitting the market. While not a real young man I'm sure he could have cranked out quite a few more goodies if things had turned out differently.
                    herb

Man spends his time on devising a more idiot proof computer. The universe spends its time devising bigger idiots. So far the universe is winning.

http://www.wolfshead.net/wolfshowl

http://www.wolfshead.net/books

Comment

• I'm enjoying Barrington J. Bayley's amazing novel, The Garments of Caean (1976).

"The most prestigious occupation in Caean is, of course, the sartorial's. As a profession it entirely supplants the function of psychiatrist, priest, and molder of public opinion, none of which exist in their own right in Caean. If someone has a problem he consults his sartorial, who runs up garments to help him find his own way out of his difficulties.

All garments are, however, hand-made, whether bespoke or not. The mass manufacture of garments on a machine or factory basis could not possibly be imagined. The very idea is regarded as a horrific barbarity, and Ziodeans, because of their willingness to wear garments so made, are looked on with pity and contempt."

Comment

• Just finished The Final Programme which i liked even better the second time around.
                        Am away to open A Cure For Cancer.

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Good move TF. I'm going back to ML & KotC next. But now, Catherine Asaro - Catch the Lightning
                          Kevin McCabe
                          The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

• Ah the Skolian Empire books are superb Kevin.
                            Have you read Primary Inversion?

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Not yet, TF. I just "met" her on facebook. She popped up on my friends page and then I read her wiki bio. She's scarey smart (chemical physics, BS Summa cum laude UCLA, AM and PHD. Harver and then a professor and she's a ballerina. I figured, this is a woman whose books I gotta read.
                              Kevin McCabe
                              The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

• Wow,i knew about some of her scientific credentials from her book blurbs but thats a mighty list.
                                The first author i've ever heard of who's also a ballerina!
                                Wonder if she does both at the same time.

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Working...
                                X