Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What book are you reading right now? (2010)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right now im reading The Quiet American by Graham Greene.
    "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by thingfish View Post
      I'd have to go for The Iliad.
      Made it through almost 50 pages of this tosh!
      Im sure it was The Davinci Code of its day mind you!
      I know this is going to sound incredibly up my own arse, but if you really want to know why The Iliad is such a big deal, you need to read it with some sort of concordance to hand which lets you understand the nuances of the Greek and also what all the various interrelationships are. You also need to make sure it's a decent translation.

I'm currently finishing off Iain Sinclair's Hackney: A Rose Red Empire - It's a good book, but it sure as hell doesn't make me want to live in Hackney

Comment

I hear that John,im just too bloody impatient and lazy and not interested enough to put the work in.
        I was the same with Joyce.
        Thats James not Grenfell.
        "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

I'm a Fagle man, myself. I like The Iliad.
          Kevin McCabe
          The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

Finished The Sword and The Stallion a few nights ago and started The Hour of the Dragon by Robert E. Howard, the only full-length novel of Conan the Barbarian written by the original author.

I'd say I'm about 1/3 done with it and so far it is absolutely riveting!
            "When the Eleatics denied motion, Diogenes, as everyone knows, came forward as an opponent. He literally did come forward, because he did not say a word but merely paced back and forth a few times, thereby assuming that he had sufficiently refuted them."
            - Sّren Kierkegaard

Comment

3/4 of the way through - Hit the Beach - the drama of amphibious warfare.
              Papa was a Rolling Stone......

Comment

Finished The Red Prince and was very impressed by it. Meticulously researched but not over detailed, allowing the reader to get an overview of the complicated events he was involved in, without bogging you down with too many things to remember. TF, the parallels with Pyat are amazing, you really would like this book and the subject.

Now reading (a page or two in) Flashman by George MacDonald Fraser. First time and looking forward to it. Also halfway through The Champion of Garathorm.
                You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Sounds brilliant Gov.
                  Im on it!

Just ordered it from eruditor.com for £6.99!!
                  Last edited by thingfish; 02-14-2010, 02:14 PM.

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

I don't think you'll be disappointed, tf.
                    You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

• Originally posted by Governor of Rowe Island View Post
                      Now reading (a page or two in) Flashman by George MacDonald Fraser. First time and looking forward to it. Also halfway through The Champion of Garathorm.
                      Great series, history as it should be taught!
                      Pity we never found out how was on both sides of the ACW.

Oddly, I was in Lancaster museum, when I had just read Flashman's Abyssina adventure. As the regiment played a large part in the campaign, so there was a lot of background and photos too.

Finished - Hit the Beach last night and on to Joanne Russ's Tales of Alix.
                      Papa was a Rolling Stone......

Comment

• Just finished Sandworms of Dune. While not as inept as their "House" trilogy Hunters and Sandworms leave a bit to be desired as conclusions to the Dune series. I don't know how much of it was derived from Frank's notes and how much they made up as they went along but there are a hell of a lot of small inconsitancies, some really "duh" moments and stuff from othe sources some of which was unnecessary as it contributed nothing towards the book. An example of the latter is that in spots one of these writers kept mentioning chairdogs, a creation of Frank Herbert in his ConSentinency stories but never mentioned in his Dune series. Can't see why they even show up unless someone is trying to establish some kind of tenuous link back to Frank.

There also seems to be a lot of aimless writing in the book, plot lines that go nowhere and are kind of left hanging. The thing that really got me laughing is when they have a Tleilaxu cook up a more potent form of spice which they, after some obvious heavy thought, decide to have him christen the product ultraspice. Such originality. Suprised they didn't call it superspice. after all, everything else is super these days.

Well, now that that's finished, however unsatisfactorily, I'm reading the Illustrated Roger Zelazny, which I have run across during my book cataloging adventures. (I didn't realize how much my complete first edition set of the Gor books were worth until I thought about looking for a repacement for the one that is kind of well worn) Right now I'm on A Rose for Ecclesiastes. Don't want to get into anything to strenuous as I'm expecting a copy of Dickson's The Antagonist, the final book in his Childe Cycle, another series I started over 30 years ago and hoping has a decent end. Should be here shortly.
                        herb

Man spends his time on devising a more idiot proof computer. The universe spends its time devising bigger idiots. So far the universe is winning.

http://www.wolfshead.net/wolfshowl

http://www.wolfshead.net/books

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin McCabe View Post
                          Originally posted by thingfish View Post
                          Just finished King of the City and im glad i stuck with it this time.
                          It was pretty pedestrian until Tubbys party and then it took off big time from there.
                          Especially enjoyed the couple of mentions for our own Mr Fox.
                          Away to start Warlord of the Air.
                          I love that book! It's in my top five of Fearless Leader's works. ( snip )
                          Warlord of the Air was the very first Moorcock book I owned. I was about sixteen, in the locl library, and looking at the books "put out to pasture", when I noticed it, and thought, that sounds interesting - previously I'd picked up my first Cordwainer Smith book at same library - so I bought it, and enjoyed it.
                          sigpic Myself as Mephistopheles (Karen Koed's painting of me, 9 Nov 2008, U of Canterbury, CHCH, NZ)

Gold is the power of a man with a man
                          And incense the power of man with God
                          But myrrh is the bitter taste of death
                          And the sour-sweet smell of the upturned sod,

Nativity,
                          by Peter Cape

Comment

• It was the second or third Moorcock book i owned and the one that really got me seeking out more of Mikes stuff ILP.
                            Just re-read it and loved every page!!
                            Am now halfway through The Land Leviathan

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• I'm reading "That Neutral Island" by Clare Wills. It's a cultural history of Ireland during the Second World war.
                              Arioch, aid me! Blood and souls for Arioch!

Comment

• Am now ploughing my way through The Steel Tsar.

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Working...
                                X