Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What book are you reading right now? (2010)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will slightly abuse this thread to note that I am now about half-way through the second book of The Oak and The Ram.

"When the Eleatics denied motion, Diogenes, as everyone knows, came forward as an opponent. He literally did come forward, because he did not say a word but merely paced back and forth a few times, thereby assuming that he had sufficiently refuted them."
    - Sّren Kierkegaard

Comment

Dove into Faust, Part Two last night. Even though I am restricted to reading English translations of these texts, I now, at least, have clues about the reasons why so many artists and academics have based later works on the mythic figure or Von Goethe's work about him.

Comment

Originally posted by Guzzlecrank View Post
        Dove into Faust, Part Two last night. Even though I am restricted to reading English translations of these texts, I now, at least, have clues about the reasons why so many artists and academics have based later works on the mythic figure or Von Goethe's work about him.
        I haven't read the Goethe or seen Marlowe's, but Nye's book is worth reading if you can find it.
        Papa was a Rolling Stone......

Comment

Just started Gloriana. Wasn't sure at first but it's drawing me in. Might even change my handle to Captain Quire, if no-one's beaten me to it yet!
          Arioch, aid me! Blood and souls for Arioch!

Comment

Just finished King of the City and im glad i stuck with it this time.
            It was pretty pedestrian until Tubbys party and then it took off big time from there.
            Especially enjoyed the couple of mentions for our own Mr Fox.
            Away to start Warlord of the Air.
            "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Pebble View Post
              Nye's book is worth reading if you can find it.
              Thanks, Pebble!

Comment

Originally posted by silverhand View Post
                Might even change my handle to Captain Quire, if no-one's beaten me to it yet!
                I'm afraid it would seem that someone has: Captain Quire

That said, there is a 'note' which says "Account is now unused"; not too sure what that exactly means (or who placed it there) and since they have posts under that name I don't think we would want to delete the account, but there might be some wiggle room for discussion if we can track down the original user.

Alternatively, you could pick a different variation on the name...

Drop me a PM if you'd like to discuss this further once you've finished the novel.
                _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Just finished Jack Absolute and very enjoyable historical romp. Some things were a bit obvious and a nice twist for those with a bit historical knowledge.

Not sure where to go next, possibly a short story from The Tales of The slayer Vol 2 (another library give away), autobiography of Marlene Dietrich or Amphibious Warfare. Probably have a go at all three.

Comment

Just finished The Gods Return by David Drake, last book of his Lord of the Isles/Crown of the Isles series. Finally. In the process of cataloging my library in to an Access database and just passed the 200 book mark and haven't even dented the shelves yet, let alone those in storage, the first 100+ came out of the bedroom. Amazing what I'm finding on the shelves tho, behind what was stacked up in front. Probably pick out some of these to read while waiting for the latest shipment to come in. Some of these I haven't read since my college days.

herb
                    herb

Man spends his time on devising a more idiot proof computer. The universe spends its time devising bigger idiots. So far the universe is winning.

http://www.wolfshead.net/wolfshowl

http://www.wolfshead.net/books

Comment

Originally posted by thingfish View Post
                      Just finished King of the City and im glad i stuck with it this time.
                      It was pretty pedestrian until Tubbys party and then it took off big time from there.
                      Especially enjoyed the couple of mentions for our own Mr Fox.
                      Away to start Warlord of the Air.
                      I love that book! It's in my top five of Fearless Leader's works. I quote to that party every Thanksgiving. Mike's line that

So, what do you think of the Narrator being an aspect of JC? And, have you ever read Tom Wolf's "The Electric Kool Aide Acid Test" or Jack Kerouac's "On the Road?"

Oh, yeah, I forgot. I'm reading the text to Arcadia. I'm going to see it again and taking the kid. See PM.
                      Kevin McCabe
                      The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

Yeah,i loved that quote as well Kevin!
                        I can definitely see Den as a JC-like aspect of the EC.
                        Have read On The Road but not that particular Wolf(although i do have it on the pile)
                        "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

I think Jack did stream of consciousness on speed, Wolf used Kerouac's prose (without the dexies) to turn out a journalistic novel (the "New" journalism), and Mike beat them both. The prose is incredibly real time. Like, its life rushing past you like a steep ski slope.
                          Kevin McCabe
                          The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

After the thread about Salinger and his book - Catcher, in my opinion, is highly over rated. I wondering if Kerouac 'On the Road' is another book of its time. I loved Jack's prose style, but at the end, thought, so what?

Similarly, The Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. Any care to name some other books that are deemed classics and may or not be still?

Comment

I'd have to go for The Iliad.
                              Made it through almost 50 pages of this tosh!
                              Im sure it was The Davinci Code of its day mind you!

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Just concluded "Drinkwater". Painful and slow to read because though everything's visualized quite well, and even though it takes place in my home city, it's like a history of a nineteen year old making one lousy decision after another. Not even to comic effect, and at the end of it, it feels like I just wasted a lot of reading time.

On to William Gibson, Pattern Recognition.
                                Thick as wind-blown leaves innumerable, since 1985

Comment

Working...
                                X