Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What book are you reading right now? (2010)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dylerpillar View Post
    I just finished Neuromancer. I was also reading a friend's feature-length novel manuscript, but I won't name that for privacy purposes; finished it on the same day as the Gibson.

My choices from here are a slim looking novel with wide pages called "Drinkwater", and another Gibson, "Pattern Recognition".
    Missed this. If you haven't launched yet, go with Drinkwater. I think you'll get more fun out of Gibson by reading the other cyberpunk books first. Why?

Kevin McCabe
    The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

I enjoyed Pattern Recognition as it had been a while since I had read any Gibson.

Reading Lieutant Gulliver: His Vacation amongst other ones.
      Papa was a Rolling Stone......

Comment

Logged many hours in air & land vehicles this week, enough to allow me to read Mr. M's Breakfast in the Ruins and Dickens' Hard Times cover to cover & to listen to audiobooks of the last third of Mr. Alighieri's The Inferno (having started that 2 wks ago) & all of The Purgatorio while behind the wheel.

I started Herr von Goethe's Faust last night, but I may switch lanes over to the biography Dante, by Thomas Bergin: "The Divine Comedy" is an awesome work of art. I've never read or heard it read before & after getting home, I've been re-reading paperback annotated translations of particularly memorable or difficult cantos heard in the Jeep.

Comment

I always liked the Purgatorio. It is so beautifully pagan.
          Kevin McCabe
          The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

Finished Lt Gulliver Jones - rather sedate compared to John Carter. UK vs. USA? Story with more a fairy tale quality. I kept thinking of Gil Kane's lovely artwork from Where Creatures Dwell (if I remember correctly).

On to Jack Absolute by CC Humphrys. Rather hooked after the first two chapters - I always wanted to set a RPG game in the period.

Comment

Books read so far this year:

True Compass: A Memoir - Ted Kennedy
              The Mastermind of Mars - Edgar Rice Burroughs
              Taking on the System - Markos Moulitsas Zuniga

Now reading:

The Bull and the Spear - M.M.

Oops, I just realized I finished that this morning. So at some point today I'll be starting "The Oak and the Ram". This is my first time through this trilogy (the Swords trilogy are my favorite books period), and so far they are not in the least disappointing.
              "When the Eleatics denied motion, Diogenes, as everyone knows, came forward as an opponent. He literally did come forward, because he did not say a word but merely paced back and forth a few times, thereby assuming that he had sufficiently refuted them."
              - Sّren Kierkegaard

Comment

Away to have another go at Our Fearless Leaders King of the City.
                I couldnt finish it last time but am now on lighter medication so hopefully i'll get it this time!
                "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by UncleDes View Post
                  Rereading Paul Theroux's "Pillars of Hercules"
                  Just a month ago, I read Hotel Honolulu and enjoyed every page. I bought A Dead Hand, but have not yet read it. What is your favorite Theroux novel/travel narrative?

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin McCabe View Post
                    I always liked the Purgatorio. It is so beautifully pagan.
                    Yes, Sir! So far, that has been my favorite book of the three. Paradiso is tougher sledding than the other two; it seems to contain a greater quantity of medieval astronomy and rhymed theology, and lesser number of shade biographies and discourses on practical ethics than do the other two.

It's likely my opinion bodes ill for the quality of my afterlife, but what the Hell?

For my off-road reading, I went with Faust, and it, too, kicks ass. I had no idea that it was a comedic story, or at least that there was real humor worked into the drama.

Comment

Currently reading Oath Breaker, the 5th volume of Michelle Paver's excellent Chronicles of Ancient Darkness sextet.

The series is written for teenagers and is about a young lad from the distant past, his relationship with a wolf cub and his battle against evil.

It's based around an imagined native American-style culture of clans, gods and primitive magic.

The first couple of books are a little naive but they get much more sophisticated as the series matures.

Well worth a dabble if you're into variations of the fantasy series.

Comment

Sounds like my kind of thing PV.
                        Im off to have a look for some.
                        Cheers.
                        "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by porcus_volans View Post
                          Currently reading Oath Breaker, the 5th volume of Michelle Paver's excellent Chronicles of Ancient Darkness sextet.

The series is written for teenagers and is about a young lad from the distant past, his relationship with a wolf cub and his battle against evil.

It's based around an imagined native American-style culture of clans, gods and primitive magic.

The first couple of books are a little naive but they get much more sophisticated as the series matures.

Well worth a dabble if you're into variations of the fantasy series.
                          I have read them all and thought they were a great read. I do like the stone age feel of the series. Always kept on meaning to do a RPG based on the period, much more exciting than clod medieval.

Also enjoyed King of The City - a lot different from what I expected, very dense. Passed my copy on to a mate to read and he liked it too. First Moorcock.

Comment

Currently in the middle of David Drake's Mirror of Worlds, 2nd book in his Crown of the Isles trilogy and also the 8th book of his Lord of the Isles. The final book came in while I was in the hospital last year and when I finally started to read it a couple months ago it seemed I was missing something so I went looking for this one to see if I had read it. Now that I'm into it I am remembering it but figure I'll finish it before I go to the final volume of the series, The Gods Return. After that I have the latest Covert One, the Infinity Affair and R B Parker's latest Jesse Stone novel, Split Image, on preorder.

Have to enjoy the Parker book as he recently passed away and so don't think there will be too many more in the pipeline. Hopefully his heirs respect his work and his name and don't farm it and his characters out the way Ludlum's did to rake in easy money.

herb
                            Last edited by Wolfshead; 02-05-2010, 12:14 PM.
                            herb

Man spends his time on devising a more idiot proof computer. The universe spends its time devising bigger idiots. So far the universe is winning.

http://www.wolfshead.net/wolfshowl

http://www.wolfshead.net/books

Comment

Just starting the last book in Ed Greenwood's 'Elminster Series,' Elminster's Daughter and am in the middle of John Brunner's The Squares of the City.
                              Madness is always the best armor against Reality

Comment

Really enjoying The Red Prince. He was in Ukraine when all the factions were fighting over it and Max was building his 'death ray'. I wonder if Mike mentioned him in the books? Something to look out for when I next read them.
                                You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Working...
                                X