Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What book are you reading right now? (2010)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charles Dickens' Pickwick Papers.

I read him for the gentle (and occasionally sharp) humour. He's probably the funniest writer in English of all time.
    sigpic Myself as Mephistopheles (Karen Koed's painting of me, 9 Nov 2008, U of Canterbury, CHCH, NZ)

Gold is the power of a man with a man
    And incense the power of man with God
    But myrrh is the bitter taste of death
    And the sour-sweet smell of the upturned sod,

Nativity,
    by Peter Cape

Comment

• Just finished the last dragonslayer by jasper fforde and about to pick up homage to catalonia by george orwell.

Comment

• In the middle of a major MM rereading spell at the moment and am currently rereading WAR LORD OF THE AIR for the first time since I bought the paperback back in 1974. It's the Quartet edition with the Patrick Woodroffe cover. And since my wife has never shown any interest in Mike's stuff it's still in pristine condition, too, unlike many other books she's taken from my shelves to read.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom Murphy View Post
          The last time I read most of the material - more than 20 years ago - was dictated by the order in which I could locate the paperbacks on Chorley and Preston markets.
          I picked up much of my early Moorcock collection from Preston market in the late 80's, Tom. We probably elbowed each other out of the way to get to one of the many bargains to be had.

Comment

• The Well of the Unicorn

After the Well of the unicorn I'll read The scrayling tree.

Comment

• Just finished the Boyd which was great,kind of reminded me of Pyat in places.
              Am now away to start Hothouse by Brian Aldiss
              "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Finishing up a book I started a long time ago, UnLunDun by China Mieville. Its a kids book, which just hits the right note with me at Christmas.
                Kevin McCabe
                The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

• I found myself getting board with the Oliver & Parrot book and picked up the first history of the Runestaff, The Jewel in the Skull. Finished in under a couple of days, first time I have re-read it since my early teens. Please to say it stood up very well, cracking place. On to book 2.
                  Papa was a Rolling Stone......

Comment

• Ah..I had a great time re-reading The Runestaff a while back Pebble!
                    Enjoy!
                    Im now on Hollywood by Gore Vidal
                    "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Originally posted by thingfish View Post
                      Am now on Angel Fire East,the third instalment of Terry Brooks' The Word and the Void!
                      I read them in reverse order, so far excepting the first one - some day I'll come accross a copy, no doubt. None the worse for that. His best work, for me. Nice idea, nice idea for structuring the seriies also.
                      Considering it has taken 49 years to become 'not a complete ass,' I wonder if I shall ever become 'wise?'

Comment

• Couldnt agree more Chris!
                        Great characters,especially the demons!!

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Wrapped around the re-reads of Breakfast In The Ruins and Behold The Man, I finished Ursula Le Guin's The Telling last week, and I'm now 103 pages into Albert Camus' The Plague. Yep, those readings followed the posts from Kevin, Mike and Thingfish over on the "culture" thread...plus, weirdly enough, Mrs. GC and I went to dinner with some relatives back on the 20th and during the dinner discussion, it turned out that my uncle-in-law, who has been a member of the same book club in Manhattan for more than 40 years, is a huge fan of The Plague! Mrs. GC was stunned at the concurrence of events. And that's an example of the reasons why I check into this message board a lot.
                          Last edited by Guzzlecrank; 12-30-2010, 03:50 PM. Reason: verb tense!

Comment

• Same here GC!
                            And another fine example of said concurrences of events is that im away to start later none other than The Telling by Ursula K LeGuin which was kindly supplied by Pebble

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Didn't Wanderlust recently pick up a copy of The Telling as well, or did I spill some powder en route to the blunderbuss again?

You will certainly like that novel, TF. It's essentially a naturalist novel about people who live in a country you've never visited...except, of course, it's actually a novel about people who never lived on a planet that doesn't exist in a year that hasn't come about yet. Ergo, it's excellent!

Comment

• Almost finished with Un Lun dun. Likely before dawn. Then, back to the Le Guin. I am DEFINITELY staying clear of Dark Albert. Camus is a genius, but I'm up for the light. May sneak a few pages of either Swords and Roses or Into the Media Web in between.
                                Kevin McCabe
                                The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

Working...
                                X