Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What book are you reading right now? (2010)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just started Paolo Bacigalupi's "The Windup Girl" which is quite intriguing. Keep getting the same sort of frisson when I first read Neuromancer all those years ago....
    Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker.
    Bakunin

Comment

• I am finishing The White Wolf's Son this evening, and I am enjoying it immensely.

Lee

Comment

• Currently reading voltaire's banned writings. (compilation Of poems , essays and such banned throughout voltaire's life... great stuff)

Comment

• Finished - Le Guin's The Telling, which was 'staid and thoughtful'.

On to book club, Parrot & Oliver in America by Peter Carey.
          Papa was a Rolling Stone......

Comment

• James Baldwin provides a tough and depressing read, because in hindsight we know the flakiness that ruined his father's life was eventually coming to get him too.

For lighter fare, I read Gore Vidal reviewing Tennessee Williams. It read like Gore Vidal writing about Gore Vidal, with cameo appearances from Tennessee Williams and Truman Capote.
            Thick as wind-blown leaves innumerable, since 1985

Comment

• Its some more Huxley for me with Those Barren Leaves up next!
              "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Just starting, "We Saw Spain Die." by Paul Preston. It's about the foreign correspondents that reported the war. The most well known (that I know that is) are Hemmingway & Dos Passos.
                Arioch, aid me! Blood and souls for Arioch!

Comment

• Despite diverse distractions, I got to the end of The Atrocity Archive by Charles Stross. It was quite a stimulating mash-up of familiar stuff (Lovecraftian horror x office politics/satire), but was trying too hard to be cool to create much emotional involvement.

I found one aspect of it particularly distasteful.
                  But I think it was his first novel, so I might come back and give the rest of the Laundry series another go.

After that, I've gone old skool and returned to the Elric saga! I picked up the Millennium omnibus a couple of weeks ago - it'll be the first time I've ever read it in a structured way. The last time I read most of the material - more than 20 years ago - was dictated by the order in which I could locate the paperbacks on Chorley and Preston markets.

I got through the first two books of Elric of Melnibone yesterday, and it was like getting into a warm bath on a cold day, with a cup of tea and a pile of toast!

Comment

• I've just re-read VALIS and Radio Free Albemuth by Phillip K. Dick, afer about a gap of six or more years.

Awesome writer, as always, though by that stage in his life, he was probably the best writer on the North American continent, having got over his earlier awkwardness.
                    sigpic Myself as Mephistopheles (Karen Koed's painting of me, 9 Nov 2008, U of Canterbury, CHCH, NZ)

Gold is the power of a man with a man
                    And incense the power of man with God
                    But myrrh is the bitter taste of death
                    And the sour-sweet smell of the upturned sod,

Nativity,
                    by Peter Cape

Comment

• Im just away to open The New Confessions by William Boyd
                      "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• I think you'll like that one TF. Read it for a course back in university days and thoroughly enjoyed it. Cheers.

Comment

• Yeah its a brilliant book Sid!
                          Im getting through it like a knife through butter!

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Finished Chasm City, and rather good it was, too. Pretty much a mystery of identity wrapped in SF tropes but very easy to read with an interesting back tale weaving through.

Started The Lost City of Z by David Grann. I'm already a few chapters in and it's shaping up very nicely. It's got about a yard of praise in the front from various publications and judging from the bit I've read, I don't think they've overstated their opinions.
                            You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

• Just had a wee look for those Gov and,as ever,they look like just my cup of tea!!

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Now you mention it, tf, I reckon you'd love the pair of them.
                                You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Working...
                                X