Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What book are you reading right now? (2010)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I managed to find a pristine copy of The Dragon In The Sword and can't put it down...I think it'll be a shame to finish it !!!!!

, [Ok Emerson ...oot the motor !!!!

Comment

• The Chosen by John Hartness.

Modern fantasy about Adam (yes, that Adam), Eve and Cain as the ultimate dysfunctional family on a road trip to save the world. Funny and irreverant and not recommended if you don't believe biblical patriarchs should gamble, booze or indulge in other worldy pleasures.
      herb

Man spends his time on devising a more idiot proof computer. The universe spends its time devising bigger idiots. So far the universe is winning.

http://www.wolfshead.net/wolfshowl

http://www.wolfshead.net/books

Comment

• Originally posted by Wolfshead View Post
        The Chosen by John Hartness.

Modern fantasy about Adam (yes, that Adam), Eve and Cain as the ultimate dysfunctional family on a road trip to save the world. Funny and irreverant and not recommended if you don't believe biblical patriarchs should gamble, booze or indulge in other worldy pleasures.
        Sounds good! Will have to try and find a copy.
        "I postpone death by living, by suffering, by error, by risking, by giving, by losing." Anais Nin

Comment

• Am now on Angel Fire East,the third instalment of Terry Brooks' The Word and the Void!
          "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Originally posted by Wolfshead View Post
            ...gambl[ing], booz[ing] [and] indulg[ing] in [...] worldy pleasures.
            Reads pretty much like "Standard Operating Procedure" for most biblical patriarchs that I've read about.
            "They went into the house and were soon rolling about in bed together." - The Wrecks of Time, James Colvin, 1966

Comment

• Originally posted by mirkmaid View Post
              Originally posted by Wolfshead View Post
              The Chosen by John Hartness.

Sounds good! Will have to try and find a copy.
              I enjoyed it, even tho it has some flaws. His first novel tho he has some poetry under his belt. Meeting the author in Vegas next week at a gathering of poker degenerates, gotta get my copy signed. Hopefully he goes on to bigger and better things. You can get an idea of it has he posted some of it on his blog, johnhartness.com , back around April or May.
              herb

Man spends his time on devising a more idiot proof computer. The universe spends its time devising bigger idiots. So far the universe is winning.

http://www.wolfshead.net/wolfshowl

http://www.wolfshead.net/books

Comment

• Sailor on the Seas of Fate. It's been so long since last read it's pretty much the first time.
                Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it.

~Henry David Thoreau

Comment

• Am away to open The White Plague by Frank Herbert.
                  "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Working my way through Le Guin's The Telling, also just finished Wonder Woman - the complete history (up to the early 2000's).

My graphic novel book club have been reading The Rise of the Olympian and the discussion is why WW seems to struggle as a character with the general readership.
                    Papa was a Rolling Stone......

Comment

• How are ya' liking The Telling so far, Pebbs?

~Henry David Thoreau

Comment

• Deep and thoughtful is the best description. I haven't read any of the other Hainish stories so I am not sure how it fits together.
                        Papa was a Rolling Stone......

Comment

• Originally posted by Pebble View Post
                          Deep and thoughtful is the best description. I haven't read any of the other Hainish stories so I am not sure how it fits together.
                          I'm not sure I get this either, Pebb's. Been some long while since I've read LeGuin, and although I've now been informed I've read a a bunch of Hainish books, I'm unsure of the the tie-together on this stuff.

~Henry David Thoreau

Comment

• Devoured Joe Abercrombie -'The Blade Itself' and have ordered the last 2 books in the trilogy. He's created a world that doesn't yet make sense, there's lots of information missing on the logic of this particular world (will come in the rest of the trilogy I'm sure), but the characters are spot on. Totally immersive, fantastic writing. I'm also pleased he's kept it to a trilogy and not been tempted to string it out.....I've seen it happen, and IMO the creativity and surprises you get from a well crafted trilogy aren't always sustainable in a long series.

Now halfway through 'Empire in Black and Gold' Adrian Tchaikovsky, the start of another saga. The characters are clunkier than The Blade Itself, but the story's good. I'd be enjoying it more if hadn't followed the superlative The Blade Itself.....

Comment

• Just finished Greg Egan's Distress - like Quarantine and Permutation City, only better - and not as good as Diaspora ... Schild's Ladder was good, but I think Diaspora's probably his current best work.
                              sigpic Myself as Mephistopheles (Karen Koed's painting of me, 9 Nov 2008, U of Canterbury, CHCH, NZ)

Gold is the power of a man with a man
                              And incense the power of man with God
                              But myrrh is the bitter taste of death
                              And the sour-sweet smell of the upturned sod,

Nativity,
                              by Peter Cape

Comment

• Just finished Herberts White Plague and thoroughly enjoyed.
                                Nothing like a wee bit of Bio-terrorism in Ireland to keep you on your toes!
                                Am now away to kick back with Point Counter Point by Aldous Huxley.

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Working...
                                X