Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What book are you reading right now? (2010)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jamie Grant View Post
    Asker also left a penguin edition of Johathan Swift's GULLIVER's TRAVELS which I'm starting later this week now feverish deadlines have passed.
    JG - I wonder if a lot of the political satire is lost now in Gulliver's Travels, unless you have a history degree.

TF - Silverberg wrote an alternative time novel, about an Aztec Empire and a receding Turkish Empire from Europe - The Gate of Worlds. Always felt it ended as if waiting for a sequel.
    Papa was a Rolling Stone......

Comment

• Robt. Silverberg - his Kingdoms of the Wall is one of his very, very best. I'm not reading it currently, but - very, very highly recommended!

I've just borrowed John Dowland from the Public Library - it's a biography-come-tutorial on his compositions and his lute style. He was one of the greatest lutenists of the Elizabethan era. I'm hoping to get some hints about Elizabethan music from it.
      sigpic Myself as Mephistopheles (Karen Koed's painting of me, 9 Nov 2008, U of Canterbury, CHCH, NZ)

Gold is the power of a man with a man
      And incense the power of man with God
      But myrrh is the bitter taste of death
      And the sour-sweet smell of the upturned sod,

Nativity,
      by Peter Cape

Comment

• Whoa,i thought i had read most of Silverbergs books but thats two i've not heard of but am away to have a look for.
        Cheers guys!!
        "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Finished the Ackroyd and what a joy to read it was. Some very funny characters, too.

Now moved on to Chasm City by Alastair Reynolds.
          You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

• Re-read 'Watchmen', Moore and Gibbons, just to scoop up all the clues and nuances I'd missed on the 1st reading. It's a great book, dark and complex, takes you on a journey to the depths of life, then drags you through to the other side - I'm keeping this close to hand and will read again regularly.

Now about to start 'The Blade Itself', Joe Abercrombie

Comment

• I'm just finishing A Brief History of the Anglo-Saxons by Geoffrey Hindley. It's brilliant, and shows what a sophisticated state was destroyed by the Norman Invasion. And what a place of learning & culture was my native Northumbria, after all, St Boniface the patron saint of Germany was a Northumbrian.
              Arioch, aid me! Blood and souls for Arioch!

Comment

• Finished Silverbergs Collision Course and it was great to read some old school sci-fi for a change!
                Just opened Running with the Demon by Terry Brooks.
                "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Originally posted by The Jeopardised Leprechaun View Post
                  Re-read 'Watchmen', Moore and Gibbons, just to scoop up all the clues and nuances I'd missed on the 1st reading. It's a great book, dark and complex, takes you on a journey to the depths of life, then drags you through to the other side - I'm keeping this close to hand and will read again regularly.
                  Fantastic graphic novel, only read it recently as I wanted to have read the original material before watching the movie. Glad I did.

I have just finished Holly Lisle's novel 'Hawkspar' and was fairly impressed.
                  "I postpone death by living, by suffering, by error, by risking, by giving, by losing." Anais Nin

Comment

• Originally posted by thingfish View Post
                    Finished Silverbergs Collision Course and it was great to read some old school sci-fi for a change!
                    Just opened Running with the Demon by Terry Brooks.
                    Excellent stuff Thingfish. Running With The Demon, and the rest of The Word And The Void trilogy is a fantastic read.

Comment

• Yeah it started off great Nick,fast moving,great writing and great characters.
                      Have the other two lined up for after!

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Still lodged in the essay anthology, spending a bit much time working and writing to be re-reading. Went through Seymour Krim's essay for those in the failure profession, and currently in James Baldwin's "Notes from a native son".
                        Thick as wind-blown leaves innumerable, since 1985

Comment

• After my first decent night's sleep in a fortnight, I finally started The Atrocity Archives by Charles Stross.

I was a bit put off by the smart-arseishness of the narration, but it's right up my street subject-wise so I'll stick with it.

Comment

• Just started Comrades! by Paul Preston. It's a series of portraits of the main protagonists in the Spanish Civil War from the far right to the far left. Just finished the portrait of Millan Astray fouder of the Spanish Foreign Legion. Talk about certifiable, the man should have been in a straight-jacket!!
                            Arioch, aid me! Blood and souls for Arioch!

Comment

• Just starting A Knight of the Word by Terry Brooks which will do well to be as good as the first book which was amazing!

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• This post should perhaps be in the 'What book are you not reading right now' thread, if there was one. My local newsagent has stopped stocking Asimov's, which I had really gotten into about a year or so ago, after picking up the Sep 2009 issue with Kristine Kathryn Rusch's excellent Broken Windchimes contained therein. Haven't seen it on a shelf in ages though, and new management at the Newagent doesn't know what the hell I'm talking about. "Asi-what?"

Bet they wouldn't be giving me that look if I wanted a copy of Martha Stewart Living.
                                "I postpone death by living, by suffering, by error, by risking, by giving, by losing." Anais Nin

Comment

Working...
                                X