Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What book are you reading right now? (2010)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finished the Wilson book a while back, a strange story of Hells Angels in a postapocalyptic world. Since then I've read The Coming of the Terraphiles, by you know who, which I enjoyed immensely.

Now reading First Light by Peter Ackroyd. I think it's the first of his books I've read which isn't set primarily in London.
    You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

• Not read any Ackroyd Gov,will have to buy some soon!
      Im off to open I Am Lazarus by Anna Kavan
      "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Was going to start Laughter of Carthage, but might have a break, I've got Brian Greene's The Elegant Universe to read.
        Arioch, aid me! Blood and souls for Arioch!

Comment

• Originally posted by In_Loos_Ptokai View Post
          Sparkling Cyanide by Agatha Christie. I'd only seen a film based on one of her books before - "Endless Night" which I thoroughly enjoyed; so I picked up a set of Crime Collection books, and intend reading through them ....

Wish I could write as well as her!
          I read all of Christie's books, and loved every one! I think it comes out to over 80 novels, including a few that are collections of short stories. I read most when I was back in high school and into my early 20s. I really liked how she set up a story...I could visualize everything, always felt like I was right there in the story, too.

As for me, I just finished my first 'thriller', Preston/Child's Relic. My heart was in my throat through most of the book - and I loved every bit of it! Good stuff - I want to move onto the next book in the Pendergast series now.

das

Comment

• just finished "Jesus' Son" by Denis Johnson

Comment

• Am off to start blood Music by Greg Bear!
              "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Departing Dutch pal Asker left well thumbed penguin soft cover of Hunter S. Thompson's HELL's ANGELS - read it from end to end; reawakening Spring '99 memories of LA, San Francisco and Monterey (fav' place was the huge marine centre and giant sea otters). This book gave vivid accounts of a time when society seemed compartmentalized and being anything but short-haired, shaved and correctly dressed was considered deviation beyond the pale.

Asker also left a penguin edition of Johathan Swift's GULLIVER's TRAVELS which I'm starting later this week now feverish deadlines have passed.

For my birthday last, Russian sis-in-law Lera gifted me two books by Stanislaw Lem's A PERFECT VACUUM in hardback (Secker & Warburg) and soft cover of Lem's THE STAR DIARIES by Avon publishers - looking forward to enjoying them next from the towering pile.

Comment

• Having the time of my life with Terraphiles!
                  Das, Preston/Childs are one of my great guilty pleasures. I only have one problem with them. Read this at your own risk b/c you could read four or five more before it hits you
                  Kevin McCabe
                  The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

• Originally posted by silverhand View Post
                    I've just started Byzantium Endures. As it's not in Mr M's usual fantasy genre I wasn't sure what to expect, but it's brilliant.
                    I was hoping my copy was going to be at the post yesterday, but it was not to be. Can't wait to start it.
                    Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it.

~Henry David Thoreau

Comment

• I'm dipping into some light horror: Relic by Lincoln Child and Douglas Preston. das made me do it!

It is good to have an end to journey toward, but it is the journey that matters, in the end. ~ Ursula K. LeGuin

Comment

• I'm just finishing The Best of Michael Moorcock, great stuff

, [Ok Emerson ...oot the motor !!!!

Comment

• Loved Blood Music and am now away to open Collision Course by Robert Silverberg.

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• TF, is that the very same Robert Silverberg who wrote Lord Valentine's Castle?

It is good to have an end to journey toward, but it is the journey that matters, in the end. ~ Ursula K. LeGuin

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparrowhawk View Post
                              TF, is that the very same Robert Silverberg who wrote Lord Valentine's Castle?
                              Wow, there's a book I've not looked at in over twenty years. Haven't read any RS in aeons. I'll have to rectify this soon.

Had a Heavy Metal mag once with an article of Silverberg's called Earth is Strange Enough. If I remember correctly it was all aoubt the weird plants in his garden. I should see if I can find that mag.

Thanks for the bell-ringer, lads.
                              Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it.

~Henry David Thoreau

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparrowhawk View Post
                                TF, is that the very same Robert Silverberg who wrote Lord Valentine's Castle?
                                The very man SH!
                                And one of the first books i ever read.
                                Yeah WL,Silverberg i find gets pretty addictive once you start reading his stuff.

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Working...
                                X