Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What book are you reading right now? (2010)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoreau, "Walking".
    Thick as wind-blown leaves innumerable, since 1985

Comment

• Just started The Bull & the Spear. I'd forgotten until I got them out how good the covers were. Some styles date down the years, but the covers of the Quartet paperbacks haven't.
      Arioch, aid me! Blood and souls for Arioch!

Comment

• Yeah i love those covers as well Silverhand!
        Just finished the Varney book(steel beach) and although it was a good story the author took an age telling it!
        Am now away to read New Worlds Vol 21 No 63
        "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Originally posted by Pebble View Post
          Originally posted by Guzzlecrank View Post
          Here comes 900 pp of strictly provincial bonnet-wearing, modestly blushing, Whig-voting anteVictoriana: hello, Middlemarch!
          I have a copy waiting to be read GC. Having read my first Elliot last year, I was impressed and looking forward to reading it.
          When you're feeling up & at 'em, Pebble (& I certainly hope that is soon), I would strongly encourage you to work your way through Ms. Eliot's fine novel. I'd estimate that unless I'm totally shocked by something between now & New Year's Eve, Middlemarch is my favorite among the books I've read this year (& I've read a heapin' helpin' of 'em). The characters are clearly & deeply portrayed, & they're dynamic, i.e., their personalities are shaped & changed by the events described in the novel. Plus, given the heavy amount of sex & violence that saturates the lion's share of post-WWII fiction, if you let yourself get drawn into the narrative, it is refreshing to spend time with an artwork that doesn't obsessively/compulsively focus on those two facts of life.

I'll not pull your leg, though: my appreciation of the novel started after page 500. You've got to be patient early on, but it's well worth your while.
          Last edited by Guzzlecrank; 10-25-2010, 09:12 PM. Reason: late typing.

Comment

• Thanks, GC.

I have Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver lined up for book club and just added to the pile with a few more books.

I have just about finished Ballard's The Voices of Time, which is very good, amazed at how these stories are so prescient.

Silverhand - Are you talking about Patrick Woodruffe covers. An superb, individualistic artist.
            Papa was a Rolling Stone......

Comment

• Originally posted by Pebble View Post
              Thanks, GC.

I have Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver lined up for book club and just added to the pile with a few more books.

I have just about finished Ballard's The Voices of Time, which is very good, amazed at how these stories are so prescient.

Silverhand - Are you talking about Patrick Woodruffe covers. An superb, individualistic artist.
              Yes, it was the Patrick Woodruffe covers. Of all Mr. M's paperbacks I've got they have to be the best.

Comment

• I have a copy of the Mythopoeikon by Woodroffe with a lot of his cover work in as I was reminded of the Continuum set of 4 book covers as I saw book 1 recently. He did do a lot of A Merritt reprints, but this author (Merritt) seems to have been 'lost' in the recent years.

Link for Myth book for sale.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mythopoeikon...8254580&sr=8-1

and latest news about Patrick.

http://www.patrickwoodroffe-world.com/news.htm

Comment

• I'm currently about half-way through The Condition of Muzak again (first re-read in c20 yrs, which means - with my terrible memory - that it's like reading it again for the first time!)

I'm really enjoying the resonance with references to the earlier books - which means I'll probably go back to The Final Programme again when I've finished it...
                  Last edited by Tom Murphy; 10-28-2010, 01:40 AM.

Comment

• Am away to start The Trial by Franz Kafka
                    "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Reading Silver Shadows, #13 in The Forgotten Realms series The Harpers and Darklost, the second book in the 'Victor Renquist' series by Mick Farren. To paraphrase the Oldsmobile commercial: 'These aren't your father's nosferatu!'
                      Madness is always the best armor against Reality

Comment

• As last night was Oct 31st, it seemed fitting to read Zelazny's A Night in the Lonesome October. Enjoyed it immensely! Lovecraft from the POV of sorcerer's familiars.

Comment

• I've just started Byzantium Endures. As it's not in Mr M's usual fantasy genre I wasn't sure what to expect, but it's brilliant.

Comment

• The Pyat books are Mikes best work imo Silverhand.
                            Just finished The Trial which was superb and am away to start To Live Again by Robert Silverberg.

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Been throwing my hands up in the air on The Lacuna book, meanders all over the place, a bit of politics thrown in with the main character living in Diego Rivera & Frida Kahlo's house when Trotsky turns up. I can't get interested at all, but Mrs Pebble thinks it the bee knees.

I have strayed at times and been reading Conquest about the English Kingdom in France, when the crowns were united under Henry VI (of England). Intriguing, how brilliant and swift Henry V's conquest of Northern France was. Also how oddly, after Joan of Arc was burnt, it took nearly another 20 years for the English to be ousted from Normandy.
                              Last edited by Pebble; 11-07-2010, 01:13 AM. Reason: bit missing

Comment

• Sparkling Cyanide by Agatha Christie. I'd only seen a film based on one of her books before - "Endless Night" which I thoroughly enjoyed; so I picked up a set of Crime Collection books, and intend reading through them ....

Wish I could write as well as her!
                                sigpic Myself as Mephistopheles (Karen Koed's painting of me, 9 Nov 2008, U of Canterbury, CHCH, NZ)

Gold is the power of a man with a man
                                And incense the power of man with God
                                But myrrh is the bitter taste of death
                                And the sour-sweet smell of the upturned sod,

Nativity,
                                by Peter Cape

Comment

Working...
                                X