Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What book are you reading right now? (2010)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reading this fine page I discovered quite by accident on the Net:
    Guido the Gimlet of Ghent: A Romance of Chivalry

There is of course that equally fine tale,
    Hannah of the Highlands: or, The Laird of Loch Aucherlocherty

Including those marvellous paragraphs:

Because of the Coat of Arms emblazoned beneath the miniature. The same heraldic design that had first shaken her to the heart. Sleeping or waking it was ever before her eyes: A lion, proper, quartered in a field of gules, and a dog, improper, three-quarters in a field of buckwheat.

Hannah handed him the sixpence. Oyster McOyster dashed it fiercely on the ground, then picking it up he dashed it with full force against the wall of the cottage. Then, seizing it again he dashed it angrily into the pocket of his kilt.
    As they say, if you can't take a joke, you shouldn't have enlisted ...
    sigpic Myself as Mephistopheles (Karen Koed's painting of me, 9 Nov 2008, U of Canterbury, CHCH, NZ)

Gold is the power of a man with a man
    And incense the power of man with God
    But myrrh is the bitter taste of death
    And the sour-sweet smell of the upturned sod,

Nativity,
    by Peter Cape

Comment

• I'm now reading Cross Plains Universe, especially The Roaming Forest story.

, [Ok Emerson ...oot the motor !!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by DeepFixer View Post
        Originally posted by thingfish View Post
        Just opening Araminta Station by Jack Vance.
        That's a good 'un. But, then, all of Jack Vance's books are good. Like Mike's books.

I'm reading # 3 in the Star Trek: Destiny trilogy and STILL plodding thorugh God Emperor of Dune.

Got Mick Farren's' Victor Renquist' series waiting in the wings.
        Never got on with the Dune sequels. Loved the original novel, but not the rest.
        Starting The Knight of the Swords again. Haven't read it since I first bought it.
        Arioch, aid me! Blood and souls for Arioch!

Comment

• Curtailing my Vancian activities to start Metamorphisis and other stories by Franz Kafka(cheers John!)
          "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• The Coming of the Terraphiles by OFL. 8 chapters in so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
            _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
            _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
            _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

• I 'm starting a connelly (the last coyote)
              I bought cheap some trades In ireland so I wanted to read some of those BIG names I see round here.. (got a ludlum and a Mccomarck too)

Comment

• I on The coming of the Terraphiles as well. Although, I will have to re-read soon as I have not been well when reading it and doubtless will have missed something.

Put Lacuna aside for the moment.
                Papa was a Rolling Stone......

Comment

• Hope you feel better soon, Pebble.
                  _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                  _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                  _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                  _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

• Originally posted by David Mosley View Post
                    Hope you feel better soon, Pebble.
                    Thanks, David. It was just a four dayer, but I have passed it on to the Mother-In-Law!
                    Papa was a Rolling Stone......

Comment

• I'm re-reading the Corum books, onto The Queen of Swords at the moment. When I first started I thought Corum a little prig but now I'm getting to like him. Just shows what a gap of nearly 40 years can do.
                      Arioch, aid me! Blood and souls for Arioch!

Comment

• Nine Princes In Amber By Roger Zelaney

Comment

• Just finished the Kafka and i can see why his stuff is rated so highly here.
                          Am definitely going to get some more,every story was excellent especially Investigation of a dog and metamorphosis(anyone who can outdark Anna Kavan gets a big from me)

Am away to open Steel Beach by John Varney for some light relief!
                          "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Kingsley Amis - The Folks That Live on the Hill - Enjoyable this far, though probably not his best. I know Mike has satirized Amis a few times (in King of the City and The English Assassin); presumably because they were diametrically opposed on many of "The Issues". Amis was quite conservative in later years, but he was also a promoter of sf and the New Wave. I believe he was especially fond of Mike's friend Brian Aldiss.

Comment

• Originally posted by thingfish View Post
                              Just finished the Kafka and i can see why his stuff is rated so highly here.
                              Glad you enjoyed it, tf.

I'm currently dipping into the letters of Samuel Beckett.

Comment

• Slainte to all!

Bought 'The Warded Man' - Peter Brett, in an airport and completed in a plane.... I really enjoyed this, it's a gripping heroic tale with believable characters and situations. Looking forward to getting the next novel in the series.

Also bought 'The Watchmen' collection (Moore and Gibbons), have got upto the end of Chapter 1 - looks I'm in for a ride with the rest of this!

Comment

Working...
                                X