Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What book are you reading right now? (2010)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Went through Hubert Butler, Beside the Nore and Aunt Harriet, and now... E.M. Cioran, Some Blind Alleys: A Letter. Cioran is mocking me for wanting to pursue a literary life, and in general wants to take up where Nietzsche left off.
    Thick as wind-blown leaves innumerable, since 1985

Comment

• I'm now reading ' Shadows and Dark Magic ', I'm in the middle of Red Pearls, brilliant story, just wish I wasn't so tired to finish it tonight, it is clearly the best story in the whole book, I found the other stories mostly interesting with a few exceptions, worth buying if only for Elric !!!

, [Ok Emerson ...oot the motor !!!!

Comment

• Finished up with the Cioran work and read Roland Barthes, Leaving the Movie Theater. Natalia Ginzburg is up next.
        Thick as wind-blown leaves innumerable, since 1985

Comment

• Just opening Araminta Station by Jack Vance.
          "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Originally posted by thingfish View Post
            Just opening Araminta Station by Jack Vance.
            That's a good 'un. But, then, all of Jack Vance's books are good. Like Mike's books.

I'm reading # 3 in the Star Trek: Destiny trilogy and STILL plodding thorugh God Emperor of Dune.

Got Mick Farren's' Victor Renquist' series waiting in the wings.
            Madness is always the best armor against Reality

Comment

• Originally posted by DeepFixer View Post

Cool DF!
              This book i must get!!
              "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Finished Pollen. Different from Vurt but no less enjoyable.

Now reading The Lost Traveller by Steve Wilson, as well as The Warlord of the Air (slowly) for the Wikiverse.
                You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

• The Kindness of Women - JG Ballard

Comment

• I'm reading Ballard's short stories - The voices of Time, which will clear my head of Barbara Erskine's Lady of Hay - we read for Book Club. Just started the next one, Lacuana by Kingsolver.
                    Papa was a Rolling Stone......

Comment

• I think i tried to read that book about 12-13 years ago Pebble,is it set in Wales where the protagonist meets these folk from her past lives etc?
                      Im sure there was a scene involving King John where it just all got a bit too silly!
                      If so it remains one of the only if not the only book i've never been able to read to the end so good luck!!

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by DeepFixer View Post

Cool DF!
                        This book i must get!!
                        Here's the Wiki entry about the series http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victor_Renquist

I beleiver that Mick is working on # 5 at the moment.
                        Madness is always the best armor against Reality

Comment

• Cheers DF!

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

I think i tried to read that book about 12-13 years ago Pebble,is it set in Wales where the protagonist meets these folk from her past lives etc?
                            Im sure there was a scene involving King John where it just all got a bit too silly!
                            If so it remains one of the only if not the only book i've never been able to read to the end so good luck!!
                            I did finish it, but there were some hilarious lines, I liked - 'And she threw down her American Express card'. The historical bits weren't that bad, it was 20th century life that I didn't like. People wandering in and out her people's flats and houses. I would have demand the key back from my ex.

The idea of parallel lives could have been explore a lot more, how was this type of medical investigation discovered. I still do not think it ended satisfactorily.

King John is meant to be having some thing of a revision of late. Under the assumption, he was a typical medieval king. Compare facts to 'Good King' Richard and the lines become a little blurred. On the other hand loosing all the Angevin french possession, bumping off your nephew (although, Richard III never got away from that sigma) and having the French Dauphin pitch up claiming to be King of England with majority of Barons on his side does not make for a good press.
                            Papa was a Rolling Stone......

Comment

• JJ Rousseau discourse on science and art then on origin of inegality among men and teh social contract.

Comment

• Beginning to lose momentum with Robert Rankin's Necromancer - he chucks out a profusion of brain-tickling ideas, but none of them are developed satisfactorily

Looking forward to moving on to Charles Stross' Laundry series

Comment

Working...
                                X