Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What book are you reading right now? (2010)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally getting stuck into 'The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana' Umberto Eco

It's got great pacing and the author loves language - an absorbing 'slow burn' read - loving it

Also halfway through 'A Confederacy of Dunces' John Kennedy Toole. This one is easier to pick up after a pause so it's taking some time to finish - extremely funny

Comment

• I loved that Clifford Simak book so much im away to re-read 'City'
      "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• "The Brief History of the Dead" by kevin Brockmeier. Interesting premise, and so far a quick and enjoyable read.

Comment

• Finished Serpico and while it was a good story, it was a bit dry in the telling. Moved on to Pollen by Jeff Noon, which is set in the same strange future Manchester as Vurt.
          You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

• Ha..another 'loonies seldom differ' moment Gov.
            This afternoon i just started Needle in the Groove by the very man!
            Vurt and Pollen are amazing books Gov,you'll not be disappointed with the latter!
            Not read the prequel yet though,will have to get that one.
            "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• The Sleeper Awakes is finished and I am not sure what to make of it. It felt like a precursor to the 20th Century and with historical 20/20 hindsight, I found the message confusing.

Next on the pile is Barbara Erskine's Lady of Hay, which is a book club choice and I rather skeptical of it after 50 pages. Would like to go back to Lyndsey Davis - The Jupiter Myth (hardboiled in Roman London).
              Papa was a Rolling Stone......

Comment

• Still half-buried in my essay/short work anthology. Currently on the section of Jose Luis Borges, after Walter Benjamin who was after Junichiro Tanazaki.
                Thick as wind-blown leaves innumerable, since 1985

Comment

• What was in there from Walter Benjamin?

Comment

• Originally posted by opaloka View Post
                    What was in there from Walter Benjamin?
                    Two pieces. The second one was "Hashish in Marseilles", and the first was about being a book collector.

Comment

• I'm essaying God Emperor of Dune again. Haven't felt the urge to bail in the middle like I did before, so maybe I'll finish it this time.
                      Madness is always the best armor against Reality

Comment

• Got Count Brass almost finished, then the other two in that series, then back into more Military SF to help in prep for NaNoWriMo this year

Comment

• Whats military SF tadk?
                          Sounds interesting.

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Originally posted by tadk View Post
                            Got Count Brass almost finished, then the other two in that series, then back into more Military SF to help in prep for NaNoWriMo this year
                            You're in that too? Just watching the Toronto chapter start to assemble itself...

Comment

• Originally posted by thingfish View Post
                              Vurt and Pollen are amazing books Gov,you'll not be disappointed with the latter!
                              I'd read somewhere that Pollen wasn't as good as as Vurt and that they generally went downhill from his first book. So far so good with the one I'm reading, though it is stylistically quite different from the first one and it was the style as much as the content which first grabbed me with Vurt. I'd have to read a few more of his books to know whether I agree.
                              You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

• I liked both of them Gov but im liking 'Needle' even more but i think i'll be having a re-read of both Vurt and Pollen soon just because the ideas are that original soon!

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Working...
                                X