Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What book are you reading right now? (2010)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thingfish View Post
    I just finished Greene's The Third Man and am away to start The Quiet American.
    Mrs. Guzzlecrank has been a huge Greene fan for many moons and recommended his work to me; ergo, we have quite a few of his books stocked amongst other treasure in The Vault of Crank!

Comment

[QUOTE=Governor of Rowe Island;187415]
      Originally posted by herb View Post
      Funny thing is, until high schol I lived at the local public library. High school and college I used the school libraries and later in college I started buying the books I wanted and so srayed from libraries unless I need research material. Feels strange to be borrowing again.
      Surrey has a fantastic library service and I hop between branches and my ticket allows for 9 books, so I use my daughters cards to borrow those books I find by accident e.g. Ghost Colonies was one of these. Now that Library have graphic novels in their stock, I don't have to buy many comics now.

The library also sell of old stock so I also end by books that look interesting, but I would not normally get hold of - 10p for a fiction or 60p for non fiction.

Finally, I can park in the library car park for free and 'nip' into town for a bit of a shop.
      Papa was a Rolling Stone......

Comment

Just finished The Sea by John Banville. I did not enjoy it much. It has very good, poetic even, descriptive passages that deal with loss and aging, but the story as a whole did not hang together all that well. There were not much in the book to keep the me reading other than the fact that there mght be a revelation at the end.

I am coming to the conclusion that literary fiction, as a genre, needs a good kick up the backside to get readers excited again.

Comment

Just started Ian Banks' Transitions. It feels pleasantly familiar.

Comment

I've just started re-reading The Jewel in the Skull. So far it's great, It's been so long since I first read it, so much I'd forgotten.
            Arioch, aid me! Blood and souls for Arioch!

Comment

Speaking of Iain Banks i've just started re-reading The Steep Approach to Garbadale.
              "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

I haven't read that one. Obviously, since you are re-reading it, it must be pretty good, right?

Comment

Great book Sandy!
                  Very similar to The Crow Road in parts but better imo.
                  "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

The new Jasper Fforde - Shades of Grey.

Comment

Plowing through, again, Ande Norton & P.M. Griffin's Witch World: The Turning: Storms of Victory.

Also back in Ed Greenwoood's 'Elminster' series, Elminster in Hell.
                      Madness is always the best armor against Reality

Comment

I'm reading, "Bugger this I'm off fer a jar." Rufus Del Lobo

Comment

Sword of the Dawn, my DAW softcover, first printing other than on of my other copies. In pretty good condition for a 30 year plus softie, mainly some browning of the pages. Found it on the shelves last night and decided to give it a go rather than pick up a hard cover. Reading so much lately my bad arm is dog tired so the pb is a break.

Finally finished Hunters of Dune and guess I'm going to need a copy of Sandworms. While not up to his father's style Hunters wasn't as god awful as the prequels Brian wrote with what's his name. It was readable and seemed to fit in decently enough from what I remember of the last few Dune books which I will now have to reread. There are still some really ridiculous issues that show up, such as the fact that the names of inhabited planets have changed in the course of 5000 years but the name of a small, insignificant island on a destroyed planet is still remembered after who knows how many tens of thousands of years, not to mention the epic poem it is featured in. Not to mention they still mention foldspace, which is something from DiLaurentis and not Herbert though now they have the ship engines accomplishing the task and the Navigators just piloting them rather than the movie version of thye Navigators actually doing it that was implied in the prequels. So if anyone was womdering the book was passable.

herb
                          herb

Man spends his time on devising a more idiot proof computer. The universe spends its time devising bigger idiots. So far the universe is winning.

http://www.wolfshead.net/wolfshowl

http://www.wolfshead.net/books

Comment

Mr. Wolfshead, good luck on the Dunequest! I'm off for a shot or three my own self, & then meandering back to Mr. Dickens' Hard Times.

Comment

Nearly finished Brom's The Child Thief. Quarter of the way through Gloriana, and was quite excited to see that Dr. John Dee was introduced as a character! I've been doing a bit of research on him at the library on campus here, such a fun coincidence!

Comment

Just finished my Banksian activities and enjoyed it thoroughly as ever.
                                Now away to open Sacrament by Clive Barker.

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Working...
                                X