Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What book are you reading right now? (2010)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've just finished Bernard Cornwell's The Burning Land. A brilliant evocation of how Alfred the Great's "Englalond" might have been. This is the latest in the series which I think is his best. I've read his Arthur trilogy but not his Sharpe series, but this is his best.
    I've just started Gavin Lyall's Midnight Plus One. I read it when it first came out in the 60's. Saw it in Waterstones & couldn't resist it.
    Arioch, aid me! Blood and souls for Arioch!

Comment

Just finished the Otherland series by Tad Williams.
      Bought The Name of The Wind by Patrick Rothfuss, and am getting used to the different writing style again... I must say, Tad Williams has a way with words that makes the other books a little disappointing... But I'm finding The Name of the Wind very enjoyable. Also got Jonathan Strange & Mr Norell by Susanna Clarke, haven't looked into it too much yet, tho... I was planning on getting the other Tad Williams series (Shadowplay and Memory, Sorrow and Thorn), but haven't gotten to ordering it... But I'm always looking for other good fantasy books... Any suggestions? I've been thinking about Robert Jordan, I got the impression it's one of those must-reads...?
      Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, methinks.
      If you find a man there, he shall die a flea's death.
      Merry Wives of Windsor.

'You are drunk.'
      'Yes, dear, but you are ugly, and in the moring I shall be sober.'

Comment

You know i've seen those Tad Williams books in the library but never got round to reading them.
        Must remedy that soon!
        "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

The White Wolf's Son. I haven't previously read any of the installments in the Dreamthief's Daughter trilogy, and since I found a copy of the last one first, I suppose I'll work my way backward.

Comment

Originally posted by thingfish View Post
            You know i've seen those Tad Williams books in the library but never got round to reading them.
            Must remedy that soon!
            Indeed, I couldn't get enough of it... Even cried at the end (out of joy, of course!)
            If you find a man there, he shall die a flea's death.
            Merry Wives of Windsor.

'You are drunk.'
            'Yes, dear, but you are ugly, and in the moring I shall be sober.'

Comment

I recently finished reading the new Del Rey Stealer of Souls. Wow. I've gotta sat these new editions are fantastic. I am a huge fan illustrated editions. I loved the intro from OFL and I liked the Alan Moore one but I feel he (or I) might've missed the point a bit: I don't think Elric felt particularly nostalgic for Ymmrir...

There's also a ton of stuff from the `60s where OFL discusses Elric's background in his own issues at the time. I'm guessing a lot of that has been threshed out in the archives here, right? Something for me to look up later on.

I'm on the next one To Rescue Tanelorn and just finished reading for the first time ever the story "The Eternal Champion." Brilliant! I love Erekosë's radioactive sword..

Varda, I was a bit skeptical of Jonathon Strange & Mr Norrell but it won me over in the end: it eventually gets past its Victorian pastiche if that's what you're worrying about as I did.
              EDIT: re Jordan, I've only read his first Conan pastiche, Conan the Invincible (another unread relic from my teenage years), which I actually enjoyed but I had no expectations. Not sure if I could do a double digit incomplete epic series though.

Drood sounds good. I might have to read the originals first though, ie. The Mystery of Edwin Drood and Wilkie Collins.
              Last edited by Chris T; 01-11-2010, 01:09 AM.

Comment

Now reading Graham Greene-The Third Man.
                "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

The First Boxer - Christopher Ride. A vaguely enjoyable time travel romp set for the main part in the Second Opium War. A more or less stand alone sequel to the Schumann Frequency (which I haven't read). It's OK. Blurbs on the cover compare it Dan Brown - which I would find insulting if I was the author. This guy can at least put moderately interesting sentences together. It's not brilliant, but I will probably keep my eyes open for the first book at the library or in the second hand stores.

It does make me want to go back and reread Flashman and the Dragon though!
                  Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker.
                  Bakunin

Comment

Have just taken out a library card for the first time in almost 40 years just to borrow the book Hunters of Dune. I had read that Brian Herbert and the hack he's been writing with had finally finished the Dune series his father left hanging but, having read their "prequels", I refused to spend money on those books no matter how badly my curiousity wanted to see how Dune was finished.

Went to the local library branch yesterday to use their computer printer since mine broke and I haven't replaced it yet. While there I decided to walk the racks as it's not a large branch and noticed Hunters sitting on the shelf. Cool. Decided to get a card and borrow the book so I could see whether it was worth the reading without spending a dime.

Funny thing is, until high schol I lived at the local public library. High school and college I used the school libraries and later in college I started buying the books I wanted and so srayed from libraries unless I need research material. Feels strange to be borrowing again.

herb
                    herb

Man spends his time on devising a more idiot proof computer. The universe spends its time devising bigger idiots. So far the universe is winning.

http://www.wolfshead.net/wolfshowl

http://www.wolfshead.net/books

Comment

Originally posted by herb View Post
                      Funny thing is, until high schol I lived at the local public library. High school and college I used the school libraries and later in college I started buying the books I wanted and so srayed from libraries unless I need research material. Feels strange to be borrowing again.
                      I was the same, herb. I used the visit the mobile library (a lorry full of books that visited schools), from about the age of nine, the local library and the main library in the city centre, as well as the reference library. Haven't been in one for over twenty years. Probably should remedy that.
                      You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

I'm all for libraries!!! I'm thinking of signing up for a UW alumni card so I can use the University libraries. Thanks for the tip on Drood, Raynayday. I liked that guy's books till I met him (pompous ) But, I may have to set aside my personal feelings and read that book.
                        Kevin McCabe
                        The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

Originally posted by Governor of Rowe Island View Post
                          Originally posted by herb View Post
                          I was the same, herb. I used the visit the mobile library (a lorry full of books that visited schools), from about the age of nine, the local library and the main library in the city centre, as well as the reference library. Haven't been in one for over twenty years. Probably should remedy that.
                          When I was in grade school the local (county) library was 2 blocks down the street and since in those days parochial schools didn't get bus transit I could make the trip down there after school with no problem about having to catch a bus. So what if I added a few more blocks to the walk home (it was in the opposite direction). Only problem was the first couple years since they restricted you to the children's library and its 3 book limit. When I was away at college they built a brand spanking new library only 3 blocks from my home but by then I had gotten away from using it. Moved into my current home about 20 years ago and never thought or even knew there was a branch about a mile or so away until a bit ago when I needed a printer and my brother informed me that they had one and told me where it was. Nice branch. May use it to check out the recs I find here before I decide whether to purchase or not, if I ever get through my backlog that is <G>.

herb
                          herb

Man spends his time on devising a more idiot proof computer. The universe spends its time devising bigger idiots. So far the universe is winning.

http://www.wolfshead.net/wolfshowl

http://www.wolfshead.net/books

Comment

Traveling round-trip between NYC and Nashville this weekend with The City in the Autumn Stars; one for the land and sky roads.

Comment

That sounds brilliant GC!!
                              I just finished Greene's The Third Man and am away to start The Quiet American.

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Started George R.R. Martin's "A Storm of Swords" a few days back.
                                Kevin McCabe
                                The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

Working...
                                X