Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What book are you reading right now? (2010)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What book are you reading right now? (2010)

I've just finished reading "Long Walk to Freedom" by Nelson Mandela. What a guy!
    sigpic Myself as Mephistopheles (Karen Koed's painting of me, 9 Nov 2008, U of Canterbury, CHCH, NZ)

Gold is the power of a man with a man
    And incense the power of man with God
    But myrrh is the bitter taste of death
    And the sour-sweet smell of the upturned sod,

Nativity,
    by Peter Cape

Next up for me is Underworld by Don DeLillo
    "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by thingfish View Post
      How are you enjoying the Graham Greene?

Des
      Spacerockmanifesto on Facebook

Hawkwind tabs

Comment

Finished The Jewel in the Skull on Saturday and I'm already two thirds of the way through The Mad God's Amulet. What can I say? I think I like them more each time I read them.
        You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Originally posted by UncleDes View Post
          How are you enjoying the Graham Greene?

Des
          Enjoying the GG big time Des!
          Im reading it in instalments having already read The Heart of the matter and The Stamboul Train one.
          Next up will be The Third Man!
          "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Back on Clash of Kings by George RR Martin
            Kevin McCabe
            The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

Just finished Knight of Swords and started on Queen in the omnibus Corum. Goofed on this one. Ordered it in Nov and just got around to opening the package. Nothing wrong with the book as such, good shape for a used one. Problem is it's the English first instead of the American one. All the rest of my omnibus editions are the US versions. Oh well, back to the search.

herb
              herb

Man spends his time on devising a more idiot proof computer. The universe spends its time devising bigger idiots. So far the universe is winning.

http://www.wolfshead.net/wolfshowl

http://www.wolfshead.net/books

Comment

As usual I got diverted reading something else before I finished Paul Deveureux book I was reading and will get started on the Hav one.

Also crash through the Rough Guide to The Lost Symbol - so I don't have to read that now. Always thought Washington seemed a 'strange' city. Reading on and off a book called Ghost Colonies - places where mainly Europeans tried to set up new utopias. Found one about a Cossack Ethopia!
                Papa was a Rolling Stone......

Comment

That Ghost Colonies book sounds good Pebble.
                  Who is it by?
                  A Cossack Ethiopia sounds like a place that would have been worth checking out!
                  I will probably skip any bits about Darien though,the ill-fated Scottish utopia in Panama.
                  Just too embarassing!!

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

That Ghost Colonies book piqued my interest, too, tf. Found a review here. It mentions Skraelings! And if you've read Dare by PJ Farmer you know what happened to Roanoke.
                    You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Looks good!

Cheers Gov

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Currently reading Heros & Villians

Inside the minds of the greatest warriors in History

Deals with Spartacus, Attila, Richard the Lionheart, Cortes, Tokugawa, and Nepoleon. Most informative on what they had to deal with, seems rather unbiast also.
                        Mutant Ill-Tempered Sea Bass Player

Comment

That Ghost Colonies book sounds good Pebble.
                          Who is it by?
                          A Cossack Ethiopia sounds like a place that would have been worth checking out!
                          I will probably skip any bits about Darien though,the ill-fated Scottish utopia in Panama.
                          Just too embarassing!!
                          Don't worry about that one, there are plenty of other countries mentioned. At times, you wonder how the others succeed.
                          Papa was a Rolling Stone......

Comment

Drood

Currently reading Drood By Dan Simmons, an excellent mystery about the last years of Charles Dickens Life when he is haunted by the spectral character "drood". It is told by fellow novelist William Wilke Collins (avery unreliable narrator as he is both a rival to dickens in the affections of the reading public as well as an opium addict. Absolutely excellent even if rather wordy.
                            Oh and in reply to the fellow who posted earlier Gates of Fire by stephen pressfield is absolutely fantastic as are pretty much all of his books. Enjoy

Comment

Reading His Wisdom The Defender gaslight sf by Simon Newcomb.
                              "A man is no man who cannot have a fried mackerel when he has set his mind on it; and more especially when he has money in his pocket to pay for it." - E.A. Poe's NICHOLAS DUNKS; OR, FRIED MACKEREL FOR DINNER

Comment

Working...
                              X