Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Good book for holiday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good book for holiday

I'm going on holiday this week.

Anyone have any ideas for a good read.

Anyone read anything recently and just couldn't put it down.

Let me know. :lol:

The Ring of Naar, by Patrick D. Catlett

Comment

http://www.americanempireproject.com...SBN=0805070044

Comment

Fatherland by Robert Harris - great alternate history book.

I've just come back from Hols and read 3 hearts and 3 lions by Poul Anderson, which I though was excellent. Also read the Steel Tsar - goes without saying that it was great.

Comment

A Canticle for Leibowitz

Read this years ago and trying to get hold of a copy to reread.....

Uterly absorbing and intellectually challenging if u like that sort of thing!!!

Comment

Some popular best seller crap.
            If you are single it might(though not very possible)be a chance to talk with some cute tourist on the beach.Hide your SFF identity!
            LOL,I don't know...But it should be light.Both a light read and a light item.
            PS:You can always read Mike's books...

Comment

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman was an unputdownable book for me.
              Enjoy yer holiday
              "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Buy a thick pink or lavender paperback with a large black brick-shaped UFO or miner with a giant electronic tuning fork like Clifford Simak's The Visitors or Anne McCaffrey's Crystal Singer.

People love Science Fiction fans when they go around with books with covers that are so easily made fun of. I'm sure many larger, husky kids are thrilled to find a skinny bespectacled kid reading exactly those two books!

In fact, I don't suggest you buy two books LIKE those two. I suggest you buy exactly those two books! (Let's call it a social experiment for your vacation time.)

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Gilgamesh View Post
                  Buy a thick pink or lavender paperback with a large black brick-shaped UFO or miner with a giant electronic tuning fork like Clifford Simak's The Visitors or Anne McCaffrey's Crystal Singer.

People love Science Fiction fans when they go around with books with covers that are so easily made fun of. I'm sure many larger, husky kids are thrilled to find a skinny bespectacled kid reading exactly those two books!

In fact, I don't suggest you buy two books LIKE those two. I suggest you buy exactly those two books! (Let's call it a social experiment for your vacation time.)

Good luck!
                  One of the book covers that caused me the most grief on campus was actually one of Mike's books, Wizardry and Wild Romance, with a very fetching robed alien-creature on the cover.

At least, I think it was an alien...although I can't recall too many aliens being mentioned in the actual text...
                  "I postpone death by living, by suffering, by error, by risking, by giving, by losing." Anais Nin

Comment

Originally posted by mirkmaid View Post
                    One of the book covers that caused me the most grief on campus was actually one of Mike's books, Wizardry and Wild Romance, with a very fetching robed alien-creature on the cover.

At least, I think it was an alien...although I can't recall too many aliens being mentioned in the actual text...

It's Lord Jagged as Arioch from Elric at the End of Time.
                    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Try China Mieville's "The Scar".

12 year old Jimmy and his friends enjoy a world of adventure in Scotland when the Loch Ness monster pays a visit!

Des
                      Spacerockmanifesto on Facebook

Hawkwind tabs

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley View Post
                        It's Lord Jagged as Arioch from Elric at the End of Time.
                        You know that's been bothering me for years now, thank you for enlightening me!
                        "I postpone death by living, by suffering, by error, by risking, by giving, by losing." Anais Nin

Comment

Gore Vidal's "Creation" is a wonderful book. Highly recommended!

Des
                          Spacerockmanifesto on Facebook

Hawkwind tabs

Comment

Working...
                          X