Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Favorite Iain Banks novels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Iain Banks novels

Given recent chat, let's look out what's the best from the wee man.
    So a little poll for your top 5 banks books, whether with an 'M' or not.

Hopefully I can set-up the poll right. Just vote for (up to) five and we'll see what gets to the top.

If you want to rate your top 5 in any order, best do so in a comment as the poll will see all as equal.

For me:
    Top in order are something like: Espedair Street; The Bridge; The Use of Weapons; Player of Games; The Crow Road

PS: I guess this is a little unfair to Transitions as it's just out, but that's life.
    The Wasp Factory
    12.12%
    Walking on Glass
    1.52%
    The Bridge
    9.09%
    Consider Phlebas
    9.09%
    Espedair Street
    7.58%
    The Player of Games
    16.67%
    Canal Dreams
    0.00%
    Use of Weapons
    4.55%
    The State of the Art
    4.55%
    The Crow Road
    9.09%
    Against a Dark Background
    1.52%
    Complicity
    3.03%
    Feersum Endjinn
    1.52%
    Whit
    0.00%
    Excession
    4.55%
    A Song of Stone
    0.00%
    Inversions
    3.03%
    The Business
    0.00%
    Look to Windward
    7.58%
    Dead Air
    0.00%
    The Algebraist
    1.52%
    The Steep Approach to Garbadale
    0.00%
    Matter
    1.52%
    Transition
    1.52%
    Last edited by Rothgo; 09-30-2009, 06:58 AM.

Oops! I only did 4 I think.

Wasp Factory
    Walking on Glass
    The Bridge
    Player of Games

I meant to pick Consider Phlebas too, so remember: Consider Phlebas +1
    forum

1. a meeting or assembly for the open discussion of subjects of public interest
    2. a medium for open discussion, such as a magazine
    3. a public meeting place for open discussion

Comment

Originally posted by The English Assassin View Post
      I've edited the poll to add '1' to CP for you, TEA although it won't show up with your name unfortunately.
      _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
      _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
      _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
      _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

The Wasp Factory
        Espedair Street
        The Player of Games
        The Crow Road
        Inversions

Espedair Street is a definate Desert Island Book (just pipping The Crow Road) - nobody else does drunk conversations as accurately as IB.

By the way - Raw Spirit should be added to the list....
        Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker.
        Bakunin

Comment

The Algerbraist
          Look to Windard
          Inversions
          Excession
          Wasp Factory

In that order. (though I think I forgot to vote for all of them)
          What was the one with the left wing shock jock who falls in love with a gangster's wife? funniest drunken break and enter and toilet search I have ever read.

Comment

Surely his best book is the one about the tour of the whisky distilleries in Scotland. What a great job, I could have helped him with the sampling.

Comment

You refer to the aforementioned Raw Spirit spaceroquer. I should have named the poll "fav novels", and so saying, I'll go edit the title now...

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley View Post
                Originally posted by The English Assassin View Post
                I've edited the poll to add '1' to CP for you, TEA although it won't show up with your name unfortunately.
                Cheers, me dears!
                forum

Comment

Really tricky one for me.
                  Heres how i went

The Player of Games
                  Espedair Street
                  Against a Dark Background
                  Excession
                  Whit.

Mostly Culture books but ask me again tomorrow and Whit and Against a Dark Background could be swapped for any of the others(except Feersum Endjinn!)
                  "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

This isn't exactly a vote on this thread as I've never read any of Bank's novels. I tried to watch one adaptation on televison, I think it was The Crow Road but I couldn't really get into it for some reason. Can you people recommend the books as I will try them?

, [Ok Emerson ...oot the motor !!!!

Comment

Yeah WW,The Crow Road was a good adaptation but i think if i hadnt read the book first i wouldnt have appreciated it so much.
                      From his Culture books(the sci-fi ones under the name Iain M Banks which can be read in any order)i would go for The Player of Games and from his non-culture books(under the name Iain Banks)i would go for Espedair Street.
                      "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Thanks TF, I'll be on Amazon after this, believe it or not they're the cheapest I've found for shipping stuff to Spain, so I'll try Espedair Street, let you know at the Inn how I get on!!!

, [Ok Emerson ...oot the motor !!!!

Comment

You'll not regret it WW.
                          One of my favourite all time books there!

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by thingfish View Post
                            Yeah WW,The Crow Road was a good adaptation but i think if i hadnt read the book first i wouldnt have appreciated it so much.
                            From his Culture books(the sci-fi ones under the name Iain M Banks which can be read in any order)i would go for The Player of Games and from his non-culture books(under the name Iain Banks)i would go for Espedair Street.
                            We are at one with that Brother TF
                            Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker.
                            Bakunin

Comment

Originally posted by thingfish View Post
                              I'm not surprised that Player of Games has scored so high, but I'm a bit surprised about Espedair Street. Not that I've read it, so I can't comment personally, but it's not one of Banks' novels you really hear about as much as some of his others, such as Wasp Factory and Crow Road. I'll have to check it out some time if I see it second hand somewhere...

I'd recommend Wasp Factory and Consider Phlebas as the places to start in his respective non-genre and genre fields.
                              forum

Comment

Working...
                              X