Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What books have you recently given away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not very recently in fact, but the MOST recent book I've lent out has been, quite honestly, the White Wolf hardcover Von Bek volume. It's actually the 2nd copy of that volume that I've lent out and will likely never see back.

Oh blah di, off to ebay again I guess ...

Comment

Just handed over my spare copy of the Dancers trilogy to the daughters boyfriend.
      He'd better appreciate it!!
      "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Seems like I've just given away my copy of VOR as the guy I lent it to moved away and I forgot to get it back. Oh well, been meaning to order the whole Pyat quartet in the new editions anyway...

Comment

Sorry to be ignorant, but what`s this word you all use "GIVE"

SELL SELL SELL Gotta make a penny or two!

Originally posted by Rothgo View Post
          And for the first entries: c'est moi.

I had a bit of a clear-out as I was in need of a clear shelf. Thus out went:
          • Tom Holt: The Portable Door and the two folowing books (the names thereof I can't really recall). They were a reasonable enough read but nothing special.
          • Julian May: Magnificat and Diamond Mask. I've kept hold of the first four many-coloured land sequence, but the rest can go.
          • George R.R. Martin: A Game of Thrones - I found it fairly tedious except for the dwarf, so out it goes. Still got an H/B of the second book, just 'cos it was tyoo heavy to carry - it will go sometime soon too.
          • Alastair Reynolds: Revelation Space . Surprisingly unintersting read given the hoo-ha. Same can be said for the next one:
          • Richard Morgan: Altered Carbon. I like my noir. Love it. But Raymond Chandler did it so much better!
          • Elizabeth Haden: Rhapsody - actually fairly decent I thought, but I'm not planning on a re-read, so vamoosh it goes.

Edit: I forgot Tom Sharpe's The Midden, which I 'reviewed' elsewhere as having lived up to its name. And Wilt was so good too. Perhaps that one should have been given to paper recycling instead?

Comment

I tend to grab any free book I can get my hands on, peruse it, and if I don`t like it, pass it on. So about once a year I tend to make a donation of about 2 dozen books to the local library. As we sometimes get crackerjack theology books donated to the church, I tend to pass on the more heretical ones as well, as I really don`t want my flock reading the ravings of these televangelists.

Got a few RPG books the other day that I already had, and passed a few on to friends.

I am a big believer in passing books on to friends, especially if I already have a copy of it, so I have a few friends that I love giving books away to, when I can.
            "Self-discipline and self-knowledge are the key. An individual becomes a unique universe, able to move at will through all the scales of the multiverse - potentially able to control the immediate reality of every scale, every encountered environment."
            --Contessa Rose von Bek, Blood part 4, chapter 12

Comment

Last book I gave away was 'Atlas Shrugged'.
              I had to pick up my 4th copy of it...
              "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." -Robert A. Heinlein

"If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however, if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I will help you become that." -Johann Wolfgang Goethe

"Man once surrendering his reason, has no remaining guard against absurdities the most monstrous, and like a ship without rudder, is the sport of every wind." -Thomas Jefferson

Comment

A friend's birthday, and with a sudden rash of HB versions of Revenge of the Rose on eBay of late, I bought one then passed it on. It's the best Elric book IMHO, so hopefully we'll have another brother in a week or so...

PS My poor wife is getting lined up with Gloriana soon, being as she's een reading a bit of historical courtly fiction of late. If she bites, we'll see what happens...
                Last edited by Rothgo; 07-10-2009, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Good to see you still spreading around the good stuff Rothgo!
                  I just gave my daughters pal an old copy of The Warhound and the Worlds pain a few days ago so we may hopefully have her in the fold before too long.
                  I mean there cant be a discerning 21 yo fantasy reader who wouldnt get into Von Bek(surely!!)
                  "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Wiser words never said brother thingfish

Comment

Just gave away the Third Policeman (for the third or fourth time).

Des
                      Spacerockmanifesto on Facebook

Hawkwind tabs

Comment

For the birthday of one of my friends : "La Bête du Gévaudan - A travers 250 ans d'images".
                        A book which tells the legend of the beast of Gévaudan.
                        Papi

Comment

I gave an old friend an hardback copy of Ballard's Chronopolis many years back, and a few years later saw it on another's shelf; it didn't take a lot of gandering to know it was the book I had doled out. Quoth he: "I got it from the local book shop." Very careful about those to which I give books now. When I thought I was giving it to someone who-gave-a-shite, I didn't miss it so much. Now, knowing the givee sold it off for piddle, I miss it much. Ah well, live and learn.

My gal's wee sister (the youngest of six sibling's and about to turn sixteen) asked for a couple of books to use for a school project. My wife loaned her Michael Chricton's Eaters of the Dead. I thought I'd lend wee-sis something I read when about her age, Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse Five, a book that's always been close to my heart.

So, the lil'un chooses my gal's pick, gets her project done, and EoD comes back in pristine shape. My choice (bought for little at a flea-market and in grand shape) comes back looking as if it had been run over by a centurion, after being eaten and pooed by some unknown creature. Apparently she couldn't read two pages into it.

Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it.

~Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Thats harsh WL!
                            I just lent a mate my read once only copies of the Gormenghast Trilogy with a grim warning about what will happen if they come back wrecked!!

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Don't blame ya', Things. You know, to this bloody day I've still read only the first in the trilogy. Shame on me. I remember when I was reading the first thinking, I've not quite read anything like this. And then let it slide.

Oh, one nasty I almost forgot:

A book given to me by a prof (think I've already mentioned it somewhere in the multiverse), 1491 by Charles Mann (spectacular non-fiction read), was recently `returned' in the form of a water-logged bit of pulp. Apparently emptied out the back seat of the truck into a tub, then forgot to bring it in before the rain. The oversized tome with illustrations and pics galore, is now slowly becoming soil in my composte bin. Pissed? Oh yeah.

Lost a few issues of Skeptic magazine in the process as well.
                              Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it.

~Henry David Thoreau

Comment

You mean people actually give books away? What a concept. I think I only give away books when I lend one out and it fails to find its way home.
                                herb

Man spends his time on devising a more idiot proof computer. The universe spends its time devising bigger idiots. So far the universe is winning.

http://www.wolfshead.net/wolfshowl

http://www.wolfshead.net/books

Comment

Working...
                                X