Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What books have you recently given away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What books have you recently given away

I'm assuming to charity shops here, but by all means include to other folks if you will: I suspect the quality of book in the latter catagory may be a bit higher.

And for the first entries: c'est moi.

I had a bit of a clear-out as I was in need of a clear shelf. Thus out went:
    • Tom Holt: The Portable Door and the two folowing books (the names thereof I can't really recall). They were a reasonable enough read but nothing special.
    • Julian May: Magnificat and Diamond Mask. I've kept hold of the first four many-coloured land sequence, but the rest can go.
    • George R.R. Martin: A Game of Thrones - I found it fairly tedious except for the dwarf, so out it goes. Still got an H/B of the second book, just 'cos it was tyoo heavy to carry - it will go sometime soon too.
    • Alastair Reynolds: Revelation Space . Surprisingly unintersting read given the hoo-ha. Same can be said for the next one:
    • Richard Morgan: Altered Carbon. I like my noir. Love it. But Raymond Chandler did it so much better!
    • Elizabeth Haden: Rhapsody - actually fairly decent I thought, but I'm not planning on a re-read, so vamoosh it goes.

Edit: I forgot Tom Sharpe's The Midden, which I 'reviewed' elsewhere as having lived up to its name. And Wilt was so good too. Perhaps that one should have been given to paper recycling instead?
    Last edited by Rothgo; 03-05-2009, 05:09 AM.

Comment

Interesting topic, Rothgo!

I gave away much of the stuff clogging up my shelves the last time I moved. I took around 500 books to Goodwill.

I recently gave away several of my academic books, including Self, Symbols, and Society:Classic Readings in Social Psychology by Nathan Rousseau and several introductory social theory textbooks.

I have trouble parting with books, as a rule.

Comment

Lets see-
        I gave away a couple of Clive Barker books to my daughters boyfriend namely Weaveworld and Galilee.
        I also gave him my spare copy of Warhound and the worlds pain.
        Mmm actually this could be a good vetting system,if he doesnt like Von Bek then hes not getting near my daughter!!
        "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

That seems a fair way to screen potential boyfriends...

Comment

Boyfriend: "I am going out with your daughter because she likes Moorcock."
            TF: "Do you read a lot?"
            Boyfriend: "What's that got to do with it? I said she likes..."
            Spacerockmanifesto on Facebook

Hawkwind tabs

Comment

My god Des... Thats hilariously innapropriate
              I don't know anything about music. In my line you don't have to. Elvis Presley

Comment

Nah its just hilarious!!
                He absolutely loved the Von Bek and he has a Telecaster so im thinking of adopting him and divorcing the daughter!!
                "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

You could marry him yourself, y'know, tf.
                  You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

I would Gov,but it would go against my number 1 cardinal rule-

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Well it's another weekend: another clear-out.

The George RR Martin fairwell continues with A Clash of Kings H/B. I reckon the shop will have good odds making a couple of quid off that, which is the point of donating them to charity of course.

Next up, quite a lot of Frank Herbert: Dune, Dune Messaiah; God Emperor of Dune; Heritics of Dune and Chapter House Dune. The first is a true classic, the second good and, despite what many may say, I rather liked Chapter House too. However, off they go: I'll buy myself a better edition of Dune one day when I see a desirable edition.

Next some Eddings: Belgarath and Polgara. The same old from Eddings again - nothing to miss there.

Significantly worse than Eddings, out goes Raymond Feist's Magician; Silverthorn; A Darkness at Sethanon; Daughter of the Empire; Servant of Emprise and Mistress of Empire. The Empire sequence were pretty good actually (co-authored by Janny Wurts), while the former were basically a D&D game written up into novel form. Quite literally I believe.

A large H/B of Iain M Bank's The Algebraist is next: not his best by a long shot.

An odd one here: Rats by Robert Sullivan. A book about rats in NYC - somewhat informative but not well written to my mind.

Followed by Jeremy Paxman's The English H/B. He's as annoying a voice in written form as he is when speaking and the book also suffers from some poor research.

An odd book really, as one doesn't really think of it in book form: Star Wars - Omnibus. Best left in the cinema I think.

Then Hilary Mantel's Beyond Black - finished reading it a day or two ago and was itching to dump it several day before that!

And finally: a couple of gift books one always aquires over the years: Crap Towns vol II; The rough guide to James Bond and That Book - a pointless book of pointless stats / info. Save perhaps for one little factoid that stood out: apparently there is no mention of cats anywhere in the bible. How odd.
                      Last edited by Rothgo; 03-15-2009, 08:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rothgo View Post
                        apparently there is no mention of cats anywhere in the bible. How odd.
                        There are those big ones in that den Daniel got thrown into.

Comment

Originally posted by johneffay View Post
                          Originally posted by Rothgo View Post
                          apparently there is no mention of cats anywhere in the bible. How odd.
                          There are those big ones in that den Daniel got thrown into.
                          Well spotted sir! I assume the book was referring to the domestic, none-too-massive breed, but you are of course utterly correct.

Comment

Thats quite a haul there Rothgo some lucky charity shop or binman will be getting.
                            I agree on The Algebraist though,a weak showing for Mr Banks.
                            It just seemed to meander too much for me.
                            Although it started promising.
                            Im also always needing shelf space and earlier on in the week i gave away a lot of Piers Anthony books which i used to like when i was younger but dont really float the boat anymore.
                            It was mainly his Xanth books and those imo really bad Bio of a Space Tyrant books.

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Grapes of Wrath by Steinbeck
                              A young man expressed great interest, almost unheard of nowdays, so when I finished, I gifted it to him.

Comment

Working...
                              X